• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    When a dog comes down with mange, they don't quarantine the entire pound.
    They quarantine the infected INDIVDUAL.

This entire economic shutdown has done nothing more than prolong the inevitable.
    This virus will run it's course. No "shelter in place" order will prevent this.

Like everything else in this world,

Your fears do not trump my rights.

^^This is where I am too. It is pointless to "save lives" by destroying their economic lives, but that is what we are doing if we don't open up soon. Let business owners and customers decide, like free adults, what risks they are willing to take. At risk people do the same.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Hmmm Republican President and Senate spending trillions of dollars and they are small government?

These are strange times.

I’ve seen a couple of posts like this from you now, if I didn’t know better I’d think you might be able to be convinced that big govt is not the answer....might even consider voting repu...er, maybe, libertarian? :D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Sounds like a great Mantra just like "From my cold dead hands" or "Molon Labe".

However, reality is much different. Just look around....lots of complainers....not a whole lot of action.

Liberals are much better at protesting. They shut down highways.

Conservatives complain on forums.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1253473851209474048

I am sorry,but Trump does not understand this in any way. Talking about using UV(means UV-C)outside and inside the body to treat covid-19. Then goes on to say disinfectants can kill it in 1 minute,and looks to the doctor and says we are looking into injecting this into the body to clean it and you know it gets into the lungs. Yes,this was in his press conference 4/23/2020

sigh. I thought it was bad when he was at the NIH and asked why the flu vaccine did not stop covid-19,and had to have it explained to him(along with what a virus was). This is worse.

Video at the link. I do not know what to say about his complete lack of understanding.

I support Trump and have. But this is getting insane.

(Caveat: not that it really matters, because the idea is absurd and should be known by most people to be absurd.) Which came first: Trump's comments or Jon Karl's question about injections?

Yes, this was not a good look for Trump. Possibly his biggest gaffe yet. That said, I think the response to it has been even worse. Trump merely suggested that it was something that the doctors should look into and that he thought was interesting. That has been widely misconstrued/mis-reported as Trump suggesting that people inject themselves with disinfectant - and with the sadly predictable response of people on the left implying (if not outright stating) that Trump supporters should be the first ones to take his suggestion.

If only Trump had merely talked about the 57 states of our Union...

raider600

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I see a lot of "I get what trump is saying, here is an article or video describing what hes saying" He doesn't really know what hes saying most of the time. He is just taking everything hes heard behind the scenes and throwing it out there, which makes him look like a lunatic. he should stick to the facts, not the theories.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    With your caveats its hard to disagree with you. The problem is they doesn't always seem to apply.

My issues with Trump has always been his communication skills.

I love the fact he will take on opponents directly without a lot of political doublespeak. I enjoy the tweets (most days).

I hate the fact that his use of the bully pulpit is so hit and miss. Not every thought needs to pass over the lips. Especially in crisis management.

I wish he would treat them more like a CEO on an earnings call.

I have zero problem with Trump promoting as many (safe, effective) avenues for treatment as possible. I'll take homeopathic remedies over injected IPA any day.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    There is a big correction for US cases in Worldometers. They are now including presumptive cases for some states (NY and WY) which increased the cases by 5,552. They seemed to go back to correct the data as numbers showed correction going back to mid-February. I cleaned up the Spreadsheet data as much as possible at https://twnwi.com/ but I was still off by about 273, so just adjusted yesterdays total.

Deaths based on population between Sweden and the US are back together as well, which can be seen on the "US/Sweden Death based on Population" tab of the spreadsheet. Sweden has taken a slightly different approach that is less evasive to the larger portion of the population and businesses. IKEA also released the recipe for their Swedish meatballs: https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1252269467515617280

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are 6.7 million Hoosiers. (source)

Just 72,000 of us have been tested, with an 18% positive return. (source)

Doctors are continually reporting new symptoms and complications as their experience treating these patients grows. (source) (source)

I don't see how anyone can make sweeping assertions about the scope, impact, or future of this outbreak when everything we know only points to how little we know.

Here at INGO we like to throw around the idea that "it's not the odds, its the stakes".

The stakes? Death. The odds? Honestly, they don't look so hot either.

700 dead Hoosiers...so far. Keep yourself safe INGO, this is no time for foolish theatrics.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Im assuming when I pass out and continue breathing, that will count towards the laying down part?

Man, these cures are getting tougher and tougher. Can’t we just go back to Campbell’s soup and 7 up?
    I can find 7-up in the store. Campbell’s soup? Too many ignorant, selfish **********s think they need to buy up all the soup on the shelves.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Random unfrozen caveman statistics update.
    - Doubling of deaths is now in the 9-10 day range. Meanwhile, the daily numbers are between 1.5k and 2.5k basically. So, we're not really in exponential growth, but things aren't great, either.

- It took 7 days for the reported mortality rate to go from 2-3%. It took 5 days to go from 3-4%. It took 2 days to go from 4-5%. It has now been between 5 and 6% for 9 days (and I'm pretty confident it'll be 10 days by the end of today). That's a good sign that (based on reported numbers): we're finding non-hospitalized cases and the hospitalized cases are getting good treatment.

- The IHME model says 67k deaths by Aug. 4, with about 59k by May 1. I think we will go over that, but not by much. I think our "second wave" will somewhat get caught up in this initial wave, so the trendline will basically just continue, but without a devastating flood on the medical system.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Hint - it is not the mask that is nonsensical.

No, actually I did mean what I said about the masks. The data related to mask use and infection is not that reliable. There is truth to protecting others if the wearer is sick but not necessarily vice versa. I'm especially critical of these homemade cloth masks, it pretty much boils down to the government saying we're not sure what to tell you but hey wear a mask lol. There's quite a lot of studies on pubmed related to this and i'm sure now we'll see even more. Here's a good randomized controlled trial I found comparing cloth masks to surgical masks:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25903751/

A recent commentary regarding cloth masks and Covid-19

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1422.long

A recent meta-analyses for mask use and Covid-19

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10....e91eb2b27e4f044e1ee3f896&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

In the end wearing a mask won't hurt but understand it may just provide a false sense of security.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When a dog comes down with mange, they don't quarantine the entire pound.
    They quarantine the infected INDIVDUAL.

This entire economic shutdown has done nothing more than prolong the inevitable.
    This virus will run it's course. No "shelter in place" order will prevent this.

Like everything else in this world,

Funny. Mange isn't fatal, its treated with drugs and shampoo.

By contrast, look what happens when a shelter dog comes up with rabies...total euthanization of the exposed group. (source).

COVID-19 is a horrible way to die, not unlike rabies in that respect. Yes, the virus will "run its course", but we (as a collective) have to ability to alter that course...for better or worse. We don't know what the "inevitable" even is at this point...the devil may care attitude seems cavalier and foolish to me here, in this situation.

I'm not willing to sacrifice myself or my loved ones for a stock market rally. My life trumps your ideology. Isn't fewer dead better?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Random unfrozen caveman statistics update.
    - Doubling of deaths is now in the 9-10 day range. Meanwhile, the daily numbers are between 1.5k and 2.5k basically. So, we're not really in exponential growth, but things aren't great, either.

- It took 7 days for the reported mortality rate to go from 2-3%. It took 5 days to go from 3-4%. It took 2 days to go from 4-5%. It has now been between 5 and 6% for 9 days (and I'm pretty confident it'll be 10 days by the end of today). That's a good sign that (based on reported numbers): we're finding non-hospitalized cases and the hospitalized cases are getting good treatment.

- The IHME model says 67k deaths by Aug. 4, with about 59k by May 1. I think we will go over that, but not by much. I think our "second wave" will somewhat get caught up in this initial wave, so the trendline will basically just continue, but without a devastating flood on the medical system.

A devastating flood of what? Unemployment?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A devastating flood of what? Unemployment?

Hmmm... I guess I could've been more clear on that.

Without a devastating flood of sick and dying people for whom the feds will pick up the tab for paying the medical workers and ER staff who would otherwise be complaining about being overworked for federal rates but for the SIP orders, who are now complaining about not enough work because of the SIP orders.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Guided Protector
    Top Bottom