Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Israeli Professor Shows Virus Follows Fixed Pattern

Professor Yitzhak Ben Israel of Tel Aviv University, who also serves on the research and development advisory board for Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, plotted the rates of new coronavirus infections of the U.S., U.K., Sweden, Italy, Israel, Switzerland, France, Germany, and Spain. The numbers told a shocking story: irrespective of whether the country quarantined like Israel, or went about business as usual like Sweden, coronavirus peaked and subsided in the exact same way. In the exact, same, way. His graphs show that all countries experienced seemingly identical coronavirus infection patterns, with the number of infected peaking in the sixth week and rapidly subsiding by the eighth week.

https://townhall.com/columnists/mar...or-shows-virus-follows-fixed-pattern-n2566915

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This is weird - a small number of people can't seem to get rid of the virus - they go through whatever symptoms they had to go through and get better but are still positive for the virus. That would suck bigly.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ents-unable-to-shed-coronavirus-idUSKCN2240HI

this isn’t too surprising. Viruses can be nasty. Look at HIV, it never leaves the system once infected. The early flu comparisons have lulled people into assuming we can have a vaccine every fall for it shortly and it will be seasonal. There has never been a vaccine developed in 30 years despite a lot of resources being thrown at it (which is a nagging thought I always have when people talk about riding out the restrictions on life until a vaccine is created).

im not trying to compare this virus to HIV, I’m sure technically it is more flu-like, not my area of expertise. Just saying there’s bound to be a lot we don’t know yet and it’s feasible people can remain infected indefinitely from some viruses.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    this isn’t too surprising. Viruses can be nasty. Look at HIV, it never leaves the system once infected. The early flu comparisons have lulled people into assuming we can have a vaccine every fall for it shortly and it will be seasonal. There has never been a vaccine developed in 30 years despite a lot of resources being thrown at it (which is a nagging thought I always have when people talk about riding out the restrictions on life until a vaccine is created).

im not trying to compare this virus to HIV, I’m sure technically it is more flu-like, not my area of expertise. Just saying there’s bound to be a lot we don’t know yet and it’s feasible people can remain infected indefinitely from some viruses.

At one of the first press conferences held to address the HIV virus, the docs predicted a vaccine in 12-18 months. Don't hold your breath.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    [FONT=&amp]

Largest US case study so far.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]A total of 5700 patients were included median age, 63 years all in New York.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765184

Some interesting things.

This was something we where debating yesterday that I picked up though.

[FONT=&amp]A total of 45 patients (2.2%) were readmitted during the study period.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Among the 2634 patients who were discharged or had died at the study end point, during hospitalization, 373 (14.2%) were treated in the ICU, 320 (12.2%) received invasive mechanical ventilation, 81 (3.2%) were treated with kidney replacement therapy, and 553 (21%) died

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Of the patients who died, those with diabetes were more likely to have received invasive mechanical ventilation or care in the ICU compared with those who did not have diabetes (eTable 1 in the [/FONT]Supplement[FONT=&amp]). Of the patients who died, those with hypertension were less likely to have received invasive mechanical ventilation or care in the ICU compared with those without hypertension. The percentage of patients who developed acute kidney injury was increased in the subgroups with diabetes compared with subgroups without those conditions.

[/FONT]

This was a good article, it was all descriptive but provided a good overview of what's happening in NYC. In better times something like this wouldn't see the light of day in JAMA lol, i'm amused at the list of 20 authors for something that was likely written by two people but that's how it goes. The data is pretty much what we've come to expect, those who are older with co-morbidities are more at risk. Yesterday we were discussing re-infection, in this article they listed 2.2% as readmitted which is different. Of those readmitted at least there were no fatalities which is good.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The study does talk about ACE2. It has quite a bit of information. Given it is by far the largest case study done in the USA it should be read to gleen what information we can from it.

Click on the supplemental data tab as well,and view the PDF. It has even more information.

Link again for the largest case study in the USA 2700 median age 63 in New York.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm confused. Do we base policy on anecdotal evidence or not? Honestly, this meme it utterly ridiculous.

94342203_3010339615654626_1418845822077894656_n.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The study does talk about ACE2. It has quite a bit of information. Given it is by far the largest case study done in the USA it should be read to gleen what information we can from it.

Click on the supplemental data tab as well,and view the PDF. It has even more information.

Link again for the largest case study in the USA 2700 median age 63 in New York.

Unrelated,but something I agree with and have planned to do myself. if we can get it done it would help,but likely lag by a few weeks.

[FONT=&quot]Weekly excess deaths could provide the most objective and comparable way of assessing the scale of the pandemic and formulating lessons to be learned. This measure can be constructed by comparing the observed weekly deaths throughout 2020 to values expected from the experience of previous non-pandemic years. This approach allows for the assessment of the total mortality effects of the pandemic in different places. Crucially, the counts would be of deaths by all causes combined, thus side-stepping issues of what is or is not a death attributable to COVID-19.
    [/FONT]
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...avirus20&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Unrelated,but something I agree with and have planned to do myself. if we can get it done it would help,but likely lag by a few weeks.

[FONT=&amp]Weekly excess deaths could provide the most objective and comparable way of assessing the scale of the pandemic and formulating lessons to be learned. This measure can be constructed by comparing the observed weekly deaths throughout 2020 to values expected from the experience of previous non-pandemic years. This approach allows for the assessment of the total mortality effects of the pandemic in different places. Crucially, the counts would be of deaths by all causes combined, thus side-stepping issues of what is or is not a death attributable to COVID-19.
    [/FONT]
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...avirus20&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

The ANOVA on those data will be an interesting read, for sure.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Greg Abbott says he’s ready to open ‘massive amounts of businesses’

if the name doesn’t ring a bell, Greg Abbott is the governor of Texas. If I understand correctly among other things any retail store will be allowed to provide “To go” curbside services and we’ll be able to get a haircut.

But what caught my eye about this article is it leads with a picture of the pastor of Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church.

gallery_xlarge.jpg

He was out of town with his wife the day his church was attacked. He’s currently running for state senator of my district against an incumbent Democrat. I wish him well but it’s up hill, my conservative county is lumped in with a bunch of democrat voters.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Greg Abbott says he’s ready to open ‘massive amounts of businesses’

if the name doesn’t ring a bell, Greg Abbott is the governor of Texas. If I understand correctly among other things any retail store will be allowed to provide “To go” curbside services and we’ll be able to get a haircut.

But what caught my eye about this article is it leads with a picture of the pastor of Sutherland Springs First Baptist Church.

gallery_xlarge.jpg

He was out of town with his wife the day his church was attacked. He’s currently running for state senator of my district against an incumbent Democrat. I wish him well but it’s up hill, my conservative county is lumped in with a bunch of democrat voters.

Maybe his message can cut through partisan politics? Lol, just kidding, good luck though.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused. Do we base policy on anecdotal evidence or not? Honestly, this meme it utterly ridiculous.

It's just a meme!

But it is dumb. And when did we stop sending plaintext, and start sending boring images of text? 16Kbyte, when 160 bytes would do. Blind people rejoice so you don't have to hear this crap.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    [Citation Needed]

I've seen that presented as a straw man, and as an inference from some arguments that have been made. I have not seen anyone articulate a sincere "sacrifice the weak" argument.
    Well if you don’t support 100% lockdown then you are saying this. At least that’s what I’m being told across multiple platforms/sites/places. No one is actually saying that but any disagreement is countered with that argument

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s been a beautiful sunny Wednesday in Southern Indiana. Went on a bike ride. Pretty good day all around. I’m neither optimistic or pessimistic. I’m trying to keep it real as I can manage.

Just remember, the glass is neither half full nor half empty. The glass is twice as large as it needs to be :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. Seems to me a person who believes that might not be wearing a mask.

I don't see the jump there.

It's a non-serious pejorative stereotype of the people who might carry that sign. If you're carrying it, presumably you (rhetorically "you") don't see yourself as the "weak". And if you're not weak, presumably you wouldn't think you need a mask because to you, it's just the ****ing flu. I kinda think that person might be a plant so that media can capture it and [STRIKE]report[/STRIKE] advertise how horrible those people are who dare to suggest we should start re-opening the economy.

However, I'm not forgetting the posts in the CV threads here that sound a whole lot like the message on that sign.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's a non-serious pejorative stereotype of the people who might carry that sign. If you're carrying it, presumably you (rhetorically "you") don't see yourself as the "weak". And if you're not weak, presumably you wouldn't think you need a mask because to you, it's just the ****ing flu. I kinda think that person might be a plant so that media can capture it and [STRIKE]report[/STRIKE] advertise how horrible those people are who dare to suggest we should start re-opening the economy.

However, I'm not forgetting the posts in the CV threads here that sound a whole lot like the message on that sign.

Yeah, I see the "not weak" part. I just don't equate "not weak" to being stupid. Some people that are "not weak" still don't like feeling sick and don't like the prospect of permanent lung damage. I understand your point and agree with it to a certain point, I just don't think the wearing a mask or not part is strongly linked to the "just a flu" opinion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom