• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different uses.

It's an article from the Atlantic. It explains the purpose of masks pretty well, and it's pretty convincing to me. It seems like if everyone would wear masks (even the simple cloth ones), we could all get back to normal pretty quickly.

What's the difference between New York City and Hong Kong? Density is pretty similar. Public transit is pretty similar. In Hong Kong, everyone is wearing masks all the time. They've had 4 deaths from Covid-19 compared to New York City's nearly 11,000. Taiwan has only had 6 deaths, and their kids have all been back in school for a couple months. Rather than saying that we've crashed our economy because of a virus, it might be worth thinking about it as we crashed our economy because we won't all just wear a mask any time we're out in public.

And as much as I dislike being constantly video recorded everywhere I go, a society where it's totally acceptable for me to wear a mask and gloves at all times when I'm out in public doesn't sound too bad.

LaSqB-o56YKaDbAel7BtkgZPiIqg9J_Y8qLMyxJci1SB2tvJ2lj1SSV9oI1u8dXzlF8Xey5Q3Sg34OJk_c0mFrC_mXRSK_zPsYhvjSCT1hbG59pr6j16nn5Xb18szuAsuheQ9rDx

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Fascinating how public transportation appears to be a big factor in the spread.

When most of the nation’s governors shut down nonessential businesses and directed people to stay at home, they made the mistake of keeping urban transit systems running despite a 2018 study showing that mass public transportation systems expedite the spread of infectious diseases in communities. Further, a 2011 study found that people who ride urban transit are nearly six times more likely to suffer from upper respiratory infections than people who don’t.

This suggests public transit should have been one of the first things shut down when we realized the seriousness of the pandemic. Instead, the transit lobby persuaded Congress to give transit agencies $25 billion so they could continue spreading the virus to more people. Transit agencies claim they need to keep running to help “essential workers” commute to their jobs. But if those workers are so essential, wouldn’t it be better for them to use safer transportation?

Wow! 6 times more likely to to suffer respiratory infections! Cesspools of infection...

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/2...n-more-vulnerable-to-disasters-like-covid-19/

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok.

Question time. Try not to be defensive

What is the reason for the adamant position of "just like the flu" here? Please dont repeat talking points, I'm actually just wanting to know, politically why some here have the "actually it's not that bad" angle?

If you'd rather PM the reason so as not to give up the game, by all means.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I’m still working full time and at home. I’m very vocal about this being a bunch of horse ****. I’m sick of this lock down.
    I have been arguing about this with my parents. Both over 60. Dad is in very poor health for his age and mom is is getting there. Both spent years smoking and have lung problems. Dad is a logger and still making money. Mom has a day care and is being paid by the state to stay closed. Both say us youngsters are trying to kill them by Going to work. My thing is I refuse to accept that my wife and kids should be punished and lose our way of life as well as civil liberties because they smoked 3 packs a day for 40+ years. They think I should be laid off but they should be able to run around and not be hindered by the young people. This whole thing will cause problems between families all over.

With the government making a LOT less money, and the economy crashing, how long do they figure they're going to still get money?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different uses.

It's an article from the Atlantic. It explains the purpose of masks pretty well, and it's pretty convincing to me. It seems like if everyone would wear masks (even the simple cloth ones), we could all get back to normal pretty quickly.

What's the difference between New York City and Hong Kong? Density is pretty similar. Public transit is pretty similar. In Hong Kong, everyone is wearing masks all the time. They've had 4 deaths from Covid-19 compared to New York City's nearly 11,000. Taiwan has only had 6 deaths, and their kids have all been back in school for a couple months. Rather than saying that we've crashed our economy because of a virus, it might be worth thinking about it as we crashed our economy because we won't all just wear a mask any time we're out in public.

That is good to show what great success Hong Kong has had in fighting the chinese virus. One of the densest population areas in the world and less than 10 deaths - truly amazing. It lets people know what is possible and this thing can be beat.

The only bad thing about the article is that it makes it sound like the success is all because of wearing masks. The people in Hong Kong did a lot more than just wear masks, a hell of a lot more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think the major disappointment I have with this whole process is the abysmal data gathering and analysis capabilities of the Federal government.

Why isn't the CDC at least 1/2 as effective as what they show in the movies?

Really disappointing.

Because in the movies, the government is all knowing. A big brother to protect us.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That is good to show what great success Hong Kong has had in fighting the chinese virus. One of the densest population areas in the world and less than 10 deaths - truly amazing. It lets people know what is possible and this thing can be beat.

The only bad thing about the article is that it makes it sound like the success is all because of wearing masks. The people in Hong Kong did a lot more than just wear masks, a hell of a lot more.

Yes, the people, not the government.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is weird - a small number of people can't seem to get rid of the virus - they go through whatever symptoms they had to go through and get better but are still positive for the virus. That would suck bigly.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ents-unable-to-shed-coronavirus-idUSKCN2240HI

Gee, that sounds a bit like a side effect of weaponization. Think about it. Given the theoretical history of the virus and how it could have come about, it makes perfect sense.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Imagine being able to intentionally contaminate your enemy so that they were eternally dangerous, allowing them to spread it until they are killed or shipped off to quarantine. Ramping up a communicable hazard is one thing. Making it incurable while at the same time terribly contagious us a whole 'nother level.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok.

Question time. Try not to be defensive

What is the reason for the adamant position of "just like the flu" here? Please dont repeat talking points, I'm actually just wanting to know, politically why some here have the "actually it's not that bad" angle?

If you'd rather PM the reason so as not to give up the game, by all means.

But seriously, when the morning/afternoon crew wakes up, I do want some help with this. It's something I've asked a few other places than just INGO, not getting great answers. Again, I want the meta-level explanation. The "no evidence reeeeeeee" thing isnt really what I'm looking for.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, the people, not the government.

Hong Kong is different than the rest of china. The government is different than the rest of china. Their whole economic system is worlds different than the rest of china. The government actually did help the people, but yes it is the people that did most of it.

Hong Kong has a low tax, government hands-off free capitalism system which is not at all like communist china.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Gee, that sounds a bit like a side effect of weaponization. Think about it. Given the theoretical history of the virus and how it could have come about, it makes perfect sense.

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Imagine being able to intentionally contaminate your enemy so that they were eternally dangerous, allowing them to spread it until they are killed or shipped off to quarantine. Ramping up a communicable hazard is one thing. Making it incurable while at the same time terribly contagious us a whole 'nother level.

These small number of people were not let out of quarantine after their symptoms went away because they were still testing positive for the virus so technically nobody knows if they are still contagious. I would think they are if they can still spew out virus particles but who knows. The test for positive virus is not testing for viable virus - it is testing for the presence of the RNA part from the virus. Maybe these people have a screwed up immune system that allows reproduction of the RNA part without actually producing active virus.

Kind of like that testing of contaminated surfaces on that cruise ship 17 days after there were no people in the rooms. The tests showed positive for the RNA of the virus but there was no viable viruses there. The viruses had "died" but their RNA part was still there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    These small number of people were not let out of quarantine after their symptoms went away because they were still testing positive for the virus so technically nobody knows if they are still contagious. I would think they are if they can still spew out virus particles but who knows. The test for positive virus is not testing for viable virus - it is testing for the presence of the RNA part from the virus. Maybe these people have a screwed up immune system that allows reproduction of the RNA part without actually producing active virus.

Kind of like that testing of contaminated surfaces on that cruise ship 17 days after there were no people in the rooms. The tests showed positive for the RNA of the virus but there was no viable viruses there. The viruses had "died" but their RNA part was still there.

On a related note I thought was cool... I just got back from a business trip. Normally I wouldnt have traveled except it was critical. In the 3 story Hilton hotel, I was one of 9 guests. Crazy. They have an insane protocol:
    They will not enter your room for normal room service. Period. Please place your trash bag(s) outside the room in the hall and they will collect it. If you need anything like more towels, K Cups, etc the front desk will give you some. After you check out, they will not enter your room for 5 days. (to allow the virus to die) they will then thoroughly clean and disinfect the room. Surreal.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    But seriously, when the morning/afternoon crew wakes up, I do want some help with this. It's something I've asked a few other places than just INGO, not getting great answers. Again, I want the meta-level explanation. The "no evidence reeeeeeee" thing isnt really what I'm looking for.

Not an expert here, but clearly this virus seems capable of causing certainly as much as or more medical damage to a person than the flu. Will those effects eventually be lessened once proven treatments or a vaccine becomes widespread? Probably.

What may be causing the comments about “not that bad” might be the fact that a lot of people seem to get this and recover with minor or no impacts. Some tests appear to suggest that we’re undercounting the quantity of infected because we haven’t tested big random samples of people but instead we’ve been testing mainly the ones exhibiting symptoms. If this is correct, then the actual infected population may be many times higher (some Stanford study supposedly more random said 50 to 85 times, I think). If that’s accurate, then the true fatality rate for the Wuhan virus may not be that much different than the annual flu’s fatality rate, thus the “not that bad” comparison.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Not an expert here, but clearly this virus seems capable of causing certainly as much as or more medical damage to a person than the flu. Will those effects eventually be lessened once proven treatments or a vaccine becomes widespread? Probably.

What may be causing the comments about “not that bad” might be the fact that a lot of people seem to get this and recover with minor or no impacts. Some tests appear to suggest that we’re undercounting the quantity of infected because we haven’t tested big random samples of people but instead we’ve been testing mainly the ones exhibiting symptoms. If this is correct, then the actual infected population may be many times higher (some Stanford study supposedly more random said 50 to 85 times, I think). If that’s accurate, then the true fatality rate for the Wuhan virus may not be that much different than the annual flu’s fatality rate, thus the “not that bad” comparison.

That "study" was so poorly done it is best to just forget it. It really does not shed any light on the actual infected population one way or the other. If it turns out those numbers are close it is because of blind luck and not scientific method.

We know there is an infected population out there that did not show symptoms but we still have no idea how big that population is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom