• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'd call myself a scientist and i'm Republican, I tend to work with physician-scientists a lot and many of them are Republican as are a lot in the STEM areas, the democrats tend to be the academic researchers in non-STEM areas. Now in places like the NIH, CDC, and the rest of the alphabet research institutions I would say most of those are democrat deep staters. As to your other post about funding we give these agencies plenty of money they just don't spend it wisely and tend to fund a lot of nonsense.

we disagree.

You appear to be an applied scientist, based on your description. Academic researchers are theoretical and applied science types. "Non-Stem" areas? Yeah, lol. Not on a bet. Are you thinking of medieval languages?

Murray Gell-Mann is a personal hero. He developed the standard model. He was also a world-renowned linguist. Academic.

In fact, most theoretical physicists are academics. The plumbers, the applied scientists, are also largely academics. CERN, for example.

But, of course, it would take a lobotomy for a Shakespearean academic or a historian to be a republican. :)

A Pew Research Center Poll from July 2009 showed that only around 6 percent of U.S. scientists are Republicans; 55 percent are Democrats, 32 percent are independent, and the rest “don’t know” their affiliation.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Cinco de Mayo

Taco Tuesday

Corona Cerveza

....it's a friggin conspiracy.

male-conspiracy-theory-believer-wearing-tin-foil-hat-peering-out-of-G3DR4H.jpg

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Most of them are choices, but things like diseases aren't.

But, let's play.

We can choose to put ourselves at risk on the road. Most of us choose to do so because of the benefits it brings - better jobs, better scenery, better style.

Clearly a choice.

Clearly a choice, although addiction issues make that problematic.

Not sure how this is on the list, but still a choice.

Tricky one, but some portion choice and some portion medical issue and some portion genetics. But, also, not sure what .gov can do about it.

COVID is not a behavior. COVID is a disease.

Within that framework, it is generally accepted that in a government like ours, the obligation domestically is to protect us from each other.

With coronavirus, you can have people spreading it who: a) don't know they have it; b) may not care. Those who protested various governors for not opening up the states were putting their own interests in a certain gov't action above the risk they would then post to others as carriers. That's just a fact.

This was (hopefully past tense) an extraordinary time. Like Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Like those other events, it required an extraordinary gov't reaction. Also like those other events (9/11 perhaps notwithstanding), things eventually got back to normal. The authoritarian pendulum swung back the other way.

C'est la vie.

When you become a victim of one who abuses the above, it’s no longer a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Wendy's removes burgers from its menu!
    The reason is its beef supplier can NOT supply it with beef due to C-Virus. :runaway:

I recall someone telling us this was going to occur here due to meat/food shortages.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/05/wendys-locations-take-burgers-off-menu-meat-shortage-coronavirus/

When the masses cant buy their nuggets we will have riots!

Yes! I recall smokingman predicting the shortage of toilet paper and masks and other ppe and ventilators and pork and beef as well as the food supply-chain issues.
    Thanks to him I did get a supply of what I need to get by for a while and I lined up a farm meat source. Except I didn't get any masks until just recently I picked up two N95 masks which I can rotate and get by indefinitely.
    The heads-up is greatly appreciated.

My grandson is going to be really pissed at the nuggets thing.

Sadly we are still just at the start of this. I also mentioned things like oil filters(auto),tires,soap,and pretty much anything you have purchased in the last 20 years. China just shut down a few cities again and some suburbs of Wuhan. Shipping is still down. If you look at inter Asia shipping it almost does not exist.

A clothing factory in South East Asia is not getting cloth from China still(India,Pakistan,Vietnam,and Bangladesh) so they are not making exports. Shipping world wide is down over 30% so far this year. This is likely a good read for those interested in shipping released April 30,2020. https://www.dhl.com/content/dam/dhl...documents/pdf/glo-dgf-ocean-market-update.pdf

appimppie.jpg

Some interesting white papers on shipping issues specifically. https://www.joc.com/whitepapers

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/ We are at around 105 prescription drugs experiencing shortages in the USA. It does not include any over the counter shortages of which we have many.

Some things will become harder to get as time passes. I have ordered some clothing items that I am sure I will use in the future as well as many other things. Worst case I pay less now as we are guaranteed to have inflation in things we need and deflation in things we do not.

Expect some great deals in the coming year for things you do not need. Especially used. Yachts,cars,planes,and recreational vehicles should all drop in price. I would give it a few more months,but it will happen. When someone can not afford to pay for the slip fee on a 100k boat they will put it up for sale. Most likely they would reject a 40k offer now,but in a few months they will be willing to sell it for 15k just to get rid of the liability and fees. We are not there yet but it is starting at a smaller scale already.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bull****. YOU guys are the anti-science party. Most scientists are democrats, libertarian or independent.

You are the odd man out. Smart enough to know better, but stubborn enough to love Trump.

Research requires funding and relying on private industry to fund outside of their strategic direction doesn't happen. They have more than enough demand for their R&D $ internally. My company spent 9% of revenue on R&D and never could finance all the worthy projects.

Industry won't fund virology unless it shows long term benefits to the company. I wouldn't expect them to think otherwise.

This type of R&D requires government grants and assistance. Or large contributions from the wealthy through endowments.

Well now hold on. It's the distance from the center that makes the stubbornness, not the direction from center. The world is filled with fringe ideologues both on the left and right. People on the fringe left are just as bat **** crazy as the fringe right. They're just anti-science in a different direction. So let's not try to assert that "anti-science" has anything to do with an exclusive ideology. Also let's not try to implicitly assert that one fringe is any more or less intelligent than the other. But I'll concede that the fringe left have more people with advanced degrees than the fringe right. Makes no difference. A bat **** crazy phd who believes he is justified in throwing bike locks at students he disagrees with is as bat **** crazy as Billy Ray Beaucracker holed up in his bunker making explosives to bomb the abortion clinic. The fringe nutter with a phd just means he's had a formal education in bat **** crazy.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Sadly we are still just at the start of this. I also mentioned things like oil filters(auto),tires,soap,and pretty much anything you have purchased in the last 20 years. China just shut down a few cities again and some suburbs of Wuhan. Shipping is still down. If you look at inter Asia shipping it almost does not exist.

Expect some great deals in the coming year for things you do not need. Especially used. Yachts,cars,planes,and recreational vehicles should all drop in price. I would give it a few more months,but it will happen. When someone can not afford to pay for the slip fee on a 100k boat they will put it up for sale. Most likely they would reject a 40k offer now,but in a few months they will be willing to sell it for 15k just to get rid of the liability and fees. We are not there yet but it is starting at a smaller scale already.

I love that quote!
    The trouble is I have a lot of that already.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Actually, what it means is that we are more than willing to spend money at DARPA and DOD and little for NIH and CDC.

But then, zowie, $2 trillion spent to buck up the economy. If we had spent 1/10th of that on medical research, we probably would have cured MS, some cancers and been prepared for novel viruses.

There's a **** ton of money poured into research on those things. Sometimes there are competing interests that prevent solutions from happening. For example, a small drug company develo0ps a drug that can help chemo target the cancer instead of targeting the whole body. It means that you can take lower doses of chemo, so you don't get as sick from the chemo. But then the large makers of chemo drugs wouldn't sell as much chemo. So they use their might to stall acceptance of the drug because they have something to lose.

Throwing more money at a problem doesn't always contribute to solving the problem. Sometimes it incentivizes the problem solvers to create or maintain the need.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    After getting the masks I recommended from Maskd Health yesterday, I simply can’t recommend them. My face isn’t huge, but the straps (which are not particularly stretchy) pull forward on my ears. They’re simply too small. That, and they don’t seal around the nose. Just not very well engineered at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tre0762
    Top Bottom