• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Not sure why the continued anti-mask sentiment, unless that was a different angle I didn't pick up on.

unnamed.png

bos-covid19.gif

wear-a-mask.jpg

I have been wearing a mask in public long before it was ever mentioned by our government(early February due to covid-19). I really do not get the push against them. I have even seen people quote CDC advise,which was bad when they gave it. The advise to only wear them if sick, it was a lie and an effort to prevent panic because we did not have enough masks. They will have a hard time undoing the damage they did with lies.

Where did you get the chart breakdown on contagion? I would like to read that.

Also I could not rep you for the post. Everyone should be wearing a mask in public.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I've noticed that the national news field reporters always wear a mask during their report. No one is in the background or anywhere near them so what's the point?
    Is this just social posturing? Masks have come to represent social conscience. How long will we have to keep wearing them without fear of public shaming?
    I'm waiting to see a reporter wearing a mask explain that masks are unnecessary unless you are sick (in which case you shouldn't be here).
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Good question, I looked into it and a few sites like AP, AFP, Reuters... are calling it out as misleading. But they're also citing WHO as their source, so who the hell knows anymore.

If you go through the original Covid-19 thread in late January-mid febuary I posted a link to international doctors without borders advice on not catching covid-19. It included wearing a mask(how to wear and how to remove it included in the advice). Now if you go to the site you get this instead....
    "[FONT=&amp]Given the current problems with the supply of masks, gloves, and other personal protective equipment, the needs of health care staff should be prioritized." No mention of even wearing a mask at all for regular people,not even cloth ones.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/covid19#How can I prevent myself from being infected?

I guess when you count on government funding and your image in the media to get donations you tow the mainstream news and government line.

I have donated to them in the past but doubt I do it again. You do not change the advise you give based on sentiment when you are doctors, you should base it on science. That is what it was when they advised everyone to wear them, the change is them playing politics.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am free, have inalienable rights many enumerated in a thing called a constitution. You can ask, even beg, but have no right to use force to make me do anything, including wearing a mask.

Get over it, almost all of us will get this. Experts are divided between the hide from it kind and the rip the bandage off and get going kind.

That is where the "anti mask sentiment" comes from. Wear your mask proudly, it your choice, it is not your choice to force others to wear one. I am surprised that members here would not at least recognize that most here do not like being dictated to and threatened by government bureaucrats...

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I am free, have inalienable rights many enumerated in a thing called a constitution. You can ask, even beg, but have no right to use force to make me do anything, including wearing a mask.

Get over it, almost all of us will get this. Experts are divided between the hide from it kind and the rip the bandage off and get going kind.

That is where the "anti mask sentiment" comes from. Wear your mask proudly, it your choice, it is not your choice to force others to wear one. I am surprised that members here would not at least recognize that most here do not like being dictated to and threatened by government bureaucrats...

Like I said. I have worn a mask in public long before it was advised by our government. I continued to do when they advised us not to. Now that they are advising us to has not changed my behavior in any way.

I said in early February if you are waiting for guidance from the government or thought they were going to come in and save the day you where going to be disappointed.

Same applies to not preparing to take care of you and your family with things like food or the myriad of items no longer being imported that we use on a daily basis.

I do not need a government to tell me to watch out for myself and family.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've noticed that the national news field reporters always wear a mask during their report. No one is in the background or anywhere near them so what's the point?
    Is this just social posturing? Masks have come to represent social conscience. How long will we have to keep wearing them without fear of public shaming?
    I'm waiting to see a reporter wearing a mask explain that masks are unnecessary unless you are sick (in which case you shouldn't be here).

I'm not saying they shouldn't wear masks, but keep in mind everything TV reporters do is calculated for maximum visual impact.

ds_15037_04_16x9.jpg

Last edited:

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Not sure why the continued anti-mask sentiment, unless that was a different angle I didn't pick up on.

unnamed.png

WTHR ran a fact check on this graphic. It is based on percentages using N95 masks, not surgical or homemade masks which are what the graphic portrays.
    If you are not social distancing there may be some value to wearing a mask. If you are social distancing there is little proof that masks have any significant value.
    My original question was why reporters are wearing masks with no one else around.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I see that this is the April 3rd version of the CDC's best ideas. That supercedes the earlier advice when they told us not to wear them because the health care workers needed them.
    What will be their advice on May 3rd?

Probably to wear a mask. I still remember the January CDC advise to wear an N95 or better if visiting a country with cases. That advise was repeated by the State Department for travellers. It only changed when they realized we did not have enough masks.

They have had several months to see the difference in spread when the population wears masks, so now advise you to wear cloth ones(only based on the fact we do not have enough n-95 masks),but that a cloth one is better than nothing.

This will not be over for a very long time. Years most likely. I also seriously doubt we get a vaccine in the next year if at all given our failure to produce a vaccine for any other coronavirus.

What I have done is preserve the wealth I do have and made sure this interrupts my life as little as possible and that includes planning and preparing for what is coming next.

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana

Thank you, Ingomike. The only thing I find good about all those wearing masks is that it muffles the noise of the bleating sheep as the herd clammers for guaranteed safety and toilet paper.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Rights or not, if someone isn't wearing a mask, gets in my space, and coughs or sneezes anywhere around me, they better expect to find themselves sitting on their ass when their eyes open.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I don't have any problem with wearing a mask. If I had one I would probably wear it.

The virus spreads by airborne particles so you don't have to be above average to know that ANY filtration of those particles is going to reduce said airborne particles. I just don't want to infect any hot chicks and most of all I don't want to get infected myself.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Paper and homemade cloth masks are good for catching spittle if someone is shouting and that is valuable.
    Paper masks are better than nothing for workers in a store that can't social distance.
    But your breath is deflected out the unsealed sides of the mask just like it comes in when you breath. We shouldn't convince ourselves that masks that don't seal to the face are protecting us from others' breath or vice versa. Keep your distance whether you're wearing a mask or not.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

And Menards is free to turn you away if you don't wear one, apparently.

No one here is dictating that anyone do anything. Just talking about effectiveness of preventative measures. I think wearing masks lowers the possibility of getting it. So I'm fine with it. I think I've worn one maybe once so far?

You don't have to make this into a bigger thing than it is. I don't think anyone in the US is being "dictated and threatened" regarding masks. It's just a choice that some can make right now that could benefit everyone. There's not always a government boot involved.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Maybe something even more useful than deaths per capita would be some kind of index that factors in population density because per capita is not really measuring how bad a country is doing. By comparing countries with very different population densities it makes a country that has a low population density, especially fewer very large, dense, cities look like they’re doing so much better than everyone else. They are doing better, but they really don’t need as much mitigation as the denser areas.

Per capita is better than just counting deaths by country. But comparing the US vs Sweden, for example, to see whose policies are better, it’s really not the same.

Good point about the population density factor: it does dilute the purity of the statistic.
    I was drawn to the "deaths per capita" approach simply b/c it was statistically unbiased, and did not consider that it still doesn't clarify or compare "apples-to-apples" in a direct correlation.
    B/C of agendas & political pressures, we probably won't see a purely scientific "just-the-facts" type of statistic if it doesn't enhance someone's ideology that is paying for the research.
    Good catch! :thumbsup:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Rights or not, if someone isn't wearing a mask, gets in my space, and coughs or sneezes anywhere around me, they better expect to find themselves sitting on their ass when their eyes open.

Oh, a sneeze warrants violence on your part. This is just as off the charts stupid as the leftists and their craziness...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom