https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01221-y

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The number of deaths in a country is not statistically what I've been looking for.
    The number of deaths per capita is what puts it into perspective independent of testing parameters a country might have & other political considerations.
    I know that numbers can be deceptive since deaths that would have happened b/c of existing health issues are all being contributed to CV, but that is the political nature of things.

Quick summary:
    The US has about 200 deaths per 1M capita.
    Italy has about 475 deaths per 1M capita.
    United Kingdom has about 415 deaths per 1M capita.

In the link below, open it up & scroll down to the bottom left corner of one of the 2 countries arbitrarily listed, where it says, "Change country," & put in whatever one you want.
    Put your cursor along one on the "dots" on the graph (go to the right to get most recent) and it will pop up a list of the number of deaths per 1M.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...AU7UZWO2Mu5li2SQbQIrI2kllK8mZ_xDslKTt0A9VKTXI

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...AU7UZWO2Mu5li2SQbQIrI2kllK8mZ_xDslKTt0A9VKTXI
    Maybe something even more useful than deaths per capita would be some kind of index that factors in population density because per capita is not really measuring how bad a country is doing. By comparing countries with very different population densities it makes a country that has a low population density, especially fewer very large, dense, cities look like they’re doing so much better than everyone else. They are doing better, but they really don’t need as much mitigation as the denser areas.

Per capita is better than just counting deaths by country. But comparing the US vs Sweden, for example, to see whose policies are better, it’s really not the same.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    https://apnews.com/bf685dcf52125be54e030834ab7062a8

"WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. officials believe China covered up the extent of the coronavirus outbreak — and how contagious the disease is — to stock up on medical supplies needed to respond to it, intelligence documents show.

Chinese leaders “intentionally concealed the severity” of the pandemic from the world in early January, according to a four-page Department of Homeland Security intelligence report dated May 1 and obtained by The Associated Press. The revelation comes as the Trump administration has intensified its criticism of China, with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo saying Sunday that that country was responsible for the spread of disease and must be held accountable."

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm curious about the "vaccine" itself, is this going to be a one and done, something like smallpox vaccine or like what we get for the flu. My experience with flu vaccines is that they are more hit or miss.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    understanding-naming-600_1.jpg

Figure 3 – This image shows how influenza viruses are named. The name starts with the virus type, followed by the place the virus was isolated, followed by the virus strain number, the year isolated, and finally, the virus subtype.

Naming controversy officially over. Direct from the CDC website before the China flu naming kerfuffle...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm curious about the "vaccine" itself, is this going to be a one and done, something like smallpox vaccine or like what we get for the flu. My experience with flu vaccines is that they are more hit or miss.

Flu vaccines are hit and miss because there are so many variations.

While there are potentially 198 different influenza A subtype combinations, only 131 subtypes have been detected in nature

If there is a vaccine it may jus be added to the "flu" shot. A flu shot is their best guess as to what varieties are moving toward the US of the 130 or so...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

We don't know yet and won't know until duration-of-immunity testing is complete. That will take a year to know if the immunity will last a year and it will take two years to know if the immunity will last two years, etc. Of course the vaccine can be available sooner if it passes the safety and effectiveness tests. That will take long enough.

Yes, the flu shot is a bit hit or miss but that is because the flu virus is hit or miss. There are many strains of the influenza A and influenza B viruses. Different ones show up each year. They have to test early cases to identify the strains and then hope those are the main strains for the year. And then hurry up and get the vaccine into production to cover a couple of the early strains. But the flu is sneaky, sometimes the strains that are most common change during the year so the vaccine for the early ones isn't perfect for the strain that is going around later. It is a tough job. They seem to do a remarkably good job of getting the flu vaccine right for most people in most years.

If the chinese virus doesn't mutate then the vaccine can be consistent too. That would be good. But that doesn't have anything to do with how long the immunity would last or if we need booster shots or not. That is up to how well our human immune system keeps making effective antibodies against the chinese virus.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Flu vaccines are typically hit or miss because there are so many different strains of the flu virus, so each year the vaccine is targeted at what it is believed the most common strains will be. By comparison, I believe, there are only 9 known strains of COVID-19

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Flu vaccines are typically hit or miss because there are so many different strains of the flu virus, so each year the vaccine is targeted at what it is believed the most common strains will be. By comparison, I believe, there are only 9 known strains of COVID-19

In it's first 6 months of existence in humans...

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I've noticed that the national news field reporters always wear a mask during their report. No one is in the background or anywhere near them so what's the point?
    Is this just social posturing? Masks have come to represent social conscience. How long will we have to keep wearing them without fear of public shaming?
    I'm waiting to see a reporter wearing a mask explain that masks are unnecessary unless you are sick (in which case you shouldn't be here).

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I've noticed that the national news field reporters always wear a mask during their report. No one is in the background or anywhere near them so what's the point?
    Is this just social posturing? Masks have come to represent social conscience. How long will we have to keep wearing them without fear of public shaming?
    I'm waiting to see a reporter wearing a mask explain that masks are unnecessary unless you are sick (in which case you shouldn't be here).

I suspect you know this since everybody does. When you are contaminated there is a period of several days when you could be symptom free but still spreading the virus to others around you.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I suspect you know this since everybody does. When you are contaminated there is a period of several days when you could be symptom free but still spreading the virus to others around you.

More than that, some people are asymptomatic and don't know they have the disease and are potentially spreading it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

More than that, some people are asymptomatic and don't know they have the disease and are potentially spreading it.

Not sure why the continued anti-mask sentiment, unless that was a different angle I didn't pick up on.

unnamed.png

bos-covid19.gif

wear-a-mask.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    As of Monday you can go to concerts again in Missouri and in the larger cities like [FONT=&quot]St. Louis, Springfield and Kansas City on May 11th.[/FONT]
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9368428/missouri-concerts-resume-may-4-coronavirus

[FONT=&quot]A representative from Missouri's Department of Health and Senior Services clarified for [/FONT]Billboard[FONT=&quot] that concerts do not have to adhere to the same occupancy limitations as retail businesses, but event organizers are expected to keep concertgoers six feet or more apart to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus.

[/FONT]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom