Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I may be in the minority, so I am curious to hear from others who personally know someone who has either been confirmed to have COVID or worse, has died from it. I have seen a few posts from people here mentioning how their family or circle of friends has been affected, but it has not touched my social circle.

I do not know of a single person within my first degree circle of friends or family who has either been confirmed to have had it. My 88 year-old grandmother lost a friend, but I didn't personally know her. I had a co-worker whose friend tested positive, but again not someone I knew.

Am I an extreme outlier, or are there others that can't point to a single case within their personal social circle?
    I personally know three people who have died. Two were neighbors at my former residence, and one was a volunteer I worked with at the hospital. I have also had several friends lose friends or family members to COVID-19.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Craziness just continues, sample of the requirements to play golf in Carmel.
    https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-n...uch-flags-use-carts-retrieve-balls-from-cups/

• Golf Shop, Clubhouse and all restrooms must be closed
    • Take out service only with no entry into clubhouse by members
    • Walking only; No riding carts or push carts unless they are privately owned
    • No rakes in bunkers
    • Driving range closed
    • On course restrooms closed
    • No tee markers on golf course
    • No water coolers
    • No flagsticks
    • Staff cannot assist with handling bags/clubs
    • Holes must be filled so players don’t reach into hole for ball

Doesn't that add a ton of strokes if the holes are filled?

(obviously not a big golfer here)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I personally know three people who have died. Two were neighbors at my former residence, and one was a volunteer I worked with at the hospital. I have also had several friends lose friends or family members to COVID-19.

I am very sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing.

The purpose of my question is not to come off as uncaring or insensitive. I know this is really impacting certain demographics and areas. I consider myself very lucky to have not been impacted.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I may be in the minority, so I am curious to hear from others who personally know someone who has either been confirmed to have COVID or worse, has died from it. I have seen a few posts from people here mentioning how their family or circle of friends has been affected, but it has not touched my social circle.

I do not know of a single person within my first degree circle of friends or family who has either been confirmed to have had it. My 88 year-old grandmother lost a friend, but I didn't personally know her. I had a co-worker whose friend tested positive, but again not someone I knew.

Am I an extreme outlier, or are there others that can't point to a single case within their personal social circle?

I know six people that think they have had it. But it is so hard to get tested around here that they don't know for sure.
    The worst symptoms of any of them were five days of very high fever - but this happened in February so it could have been influenza as well.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My sister-in-law and her husband tested positive for antibodies. They were sick in early March, thought it was just the flu. Really mild symptoms. They are fine now. They live in New Jersey.

I have a co-worker who got it, she lives here in Indy. She was a little fatigued in the morning, and by evening was in the hospital with a diagnosis of pneumonia. She got tested and was positive for Covid-19. It took her a few days to get over it, and she is still fatigued on and off.

I also know a guy whose daughter had it. Really kicked her butt, lost her sense of taste and had pretty bad fatigue. She is recovered now. She lives in Indy.

I don't personally know anyone who had died from Covid-19.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

FWIW, we don’t know anyone in our immediate circle either. But we know people that have had a person(s) in their circles that have had it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Coworker whose dad died. He had other complications.
    Wife of a coworker who has been bedridden for a week now. NOt doing will. No underlying conditions. early 40s.
    3 other coworkers tested. Still waiting on results. late 40s to 50s

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My sister-in-law and her husband tested positive for antibodies. They were sick in early March, thought it was just the flu. Really mild symptoms. They are fine now. They live in New Jersey.

I have a co-worker who got it, she lives here in Indy. She was a little fatigued in the morning, and by evening was in the hospital with a diagnosis of pneumonia. She got tested and was positive for Covid-19. It took her a few days to get over it, and she is still fatigued on and off.

I also know a guy whose daughter had it. Really kicked her butt, lost her sense of taste and had pretty bad fatigue. She is recovered now. She lives in Indy.

I don't personally know anyone who had died from Covid-19.

I heard this is pretty common with the chinese virus. Does it come back?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I am very sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing.

The purpose of my question is not to come off as uncaring or insensitive. I know this is really impacting certain demographics and areas. I consider myself very lucky to have not been impacted.
    Thank you. Oddly enough, when those 3 people I knew had passed away, there were only 8 total COVID deaths in Lake County, population 485,000. So I may be the outlier after all, because what are the odds?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Is anyone surprised that the weak and vulnerable are dying?
    Isn't this how nature works?
    We prolong our lives with medicines but we live our lives terribly and destroy our bodies and then wonder why the worst off among us are dying.
    And there are some very small percentage of younger people who appear to have no underlying condition but they don't know that for sure still.
    This disease doesn't scare me as much as our full blown overreaction to it does.

I hear people saying, well I have a vulnerable or high risk grandma or mom and dad. We'll no crap?! All of us do. Unless they had you when they were 10.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I know six people that think they have had it. But it is so hard to get tested around here that they don't know for sure.
    The worst symptoms of any of them were five days of very high fever - but this happened in February so it could have been influenza as well.
    I was sick for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of January and the beginning of February: 102 degree fever, constant coughing, and tired. I mean sleeping 15 hours a day tired. Went to the doctor 2 weeks into the symptoms, and had the ice picks I mean swabs jammed up my nose and into the prefrontal lobe of my brain. My doctor informed me that the flu test came back negative. So maybe I had the Wuhan flu, but who knows? At the time, I was working in the tech support area at Sweetwater, a large, open area filled with 40 or so young, talented people. And me. Many of us coughing like a bunch of chain smokers.

I'm 63, and knowing that I had it or not would not change the way that I am living my life, but if the call ever came out for volunteers to be tested for kung flu antibodies for the purpose of donating plasma to be used for a possible treatment, I think it would be cool if I qualified.

Oh, and the free lobotomy was a nice bonus. The world seems so peaceful...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

I know people who know a person who died, but not beyond that. When one considers the 200 per million number, it’s not super surprising, especially if you don’t live in NYC.

I may have had it back in February, but it wasn’t supposed to have been here yet so I just did my 5 weeks of coughing.

Last edited:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    My uncle tested positive three weeks ago. He works at the women's prison in Rockville. He survived it, my sister and kids live with him and none have caught it or tested positive for it. Last I knew 5 guards had tested positive. Wifes cousin also works there and she was quarantined due to coming in contact with it at a daycare. Her cousin is fine.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    If she observed that most of her patients fit a certain demographic, particularly one that has not been mentioned specifically a great deal, it was worth noting.

Of course it was, it’s in the scientific and public interest to gather as much data about how this disease affects everyone as possible. This may help us with treatment or a vaccine. Of course, it’s also in the public interest to give complete descriptions of crime suspects, but we don’t seem to be doing that as much anymore, so I can see why this might ruffle some feathers.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I heard of one guy who had the body-bag detail in his hospital. He stated that he felt one factor not being discussed is obesity. He felt that almost all the bags were really heavy and that obese people tended to die from the chinese virus. Admittedly this is a small and regional sample and may not be valid anyplace else but then again it might be and nobody is looking at it. The point is it is data.

Race is a charged factor, even over-charged, but that is partly because of political correctness. It could just as easily be some other factor like weight that is over-charged, or blood type, or height, or religion or whatever. It should never mean that a factor is intentionally avoided and ignored because of its charged status.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Wouldn't this be because they are further along in the pandemic? Probably 3 timed closer to herd immunity?
    This is an important point. The idea behind the quarantine is not to overwhelm the capacity to treat the sick. As far as I know, Sweden has not overwhelmed their capacity. So basically, they took their deaths up front, so to speak.

But, if we’re close to a treatment that is effective, postponing the infection of those who ended up dying would have been better for them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Craziness just continues, sample of the requirements to play golf in Carmel.
    https://www.wishtv.com/news/local-n...uch-flags-use-carts-retrieve-balls-from-cups/

• Golf Shop, Clubhouse and all restrooms must be closed
    • Take out service only with no entry into clubhouse by members
    • Walking only; No riding carts or push carts unless they are privately owned
    • No rakes in bunkers
    • Driving range closed
    • On course restrooms closed
    • No tee markers on golf course
    • No water coolers
    • No flagsticks
    • Staff cannot assist with handling bags/clubs
    • Holes must be filled so players don’t reach into hole for ball

So... basically you're just hitting a ball around in a big open area with no designated places to hit from or to hit to. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom