doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never did understand closing the parks. :dunno:
    People with good judgement will have sense when at the park with proper boundaries. :cool:
    Others, will just go to Kroger, Walmart, Lowes and a 100 other places, using good judgement, but even harder to have the boundaries, but that is why we have masks.:)

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My sis is an ICU RN at Methodist and they are having GREAT results with giving the very sick patients plasma from those who recovered. They see an almost immediate turn around. Interesting fact, the vast majority of her patients are Hispanic.

A medical provider from IU and also a suburban hospital said they are having far better results than New York, even with patients that progress to ventilators. It's not a knock on New york, but rather that here the cases haven't been quite so overwhelming so they get the level of attention a critical care case deserves.

Very good to hear about some results with convalescent plasma. I haven't seen much in the literature yet.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Is there a time set for the governors announcement tomorrow? This is like the eve of the big Glock announcement. I hope I am not as disappointed as that one. I wanted a Glock carbine.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My sis is an ICU RN at Methodist and they are having GREAT results with giving the very sick patients plasma from those who recovered. They see an almost immediate turn around. Interesting fact, the vast majority of her patients are Hispanic.

How much plasma does it take to have enough antibodies?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :(
    Well the C-Virus has finally stuck very close to the Jedi house.
    My great-aunt, 91, passed away on monday. Shortness of breath. Nursing home is not sure if it was natural cause or c-virus. Testing results by tomorrow. Funeral is tomorrow as well so I suspect just natural causes.

My aunt, also in nursing home due to dementia, was taken to hospital yesterday. She does have c-virus. Fever, shortness of breath. She is not a vent but is in the critical section. She is 70.

They were in different nursing homes and we have not seen them since feb 2020 due to IL's ahelther in place order. Both are in the Chicagoland area. Just facetime once a week.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My great-aunt, 91, passed away on monday. Shortness of breath. Nursing home is not sure if it was natural cause or c-virus. Testing results by tomorrow. Funeral is tomorrow as well so I suspect just natural causes.

My aunt, also in nursing home due to dementia, was taken to hospital yesterday. She does have c-virus. Fever, shortness of breath. She is not a vent but is in the critical section. She is 70.

They were in different nursing homes and we have not seen them since feb 2020 due to IL's ahelther in place order. Both are in the Chicagoland area. Just facetime once a week.

I'm sorry. One thing that really stinks about an epidemic is these people being alone when they are sick or dying :(

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How much plasma does it take to have enough antibodies?

It's likely to be a question of individuality and timing. Someone recently recovered will typically have the highest antibody count.

One possible or crazy idea, if this works out well, is a series of strategic infections where people who recovered and are doing well physically are used to treat the next series of people infected. It's a bit risky and the timing has to be right but it's one way to (reasonably) safely get some herd immunity.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's likely to be a question of individuality and timing. Someone recently recovered will typically have the highest antibody count.

One possible or crazy idea, if this works out well, is a series of strategic infections where people who recovered and are doing well physically are used to treat the next series of people infected. It's a bit risky and the timing has to be right but it's one way to (reasonably) safely get some herd immunity.

I would think you would want to wait long enough for IgG to develop to its maximum.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I would think you would want to wait long enough for IgG to develop to its maximum.
    I have no idea when the maximum is reached for SARSCov2 but for many diseases it is just weeks after exposure. And a Covid19 patient is apparently still dealing with illness at the 2 or 3 week level. That might mean a limited window on getting max antibodies? I don't know for certain though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That sounds more promising than the prospect of a vaccine coming anytime soon.

But of what significance is Hispanics. Why is that interesting?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That sounds more promising than the prospect of a vaccine coming anytime soon.

But of what significance is Hispanics. Why is that interesting?

"Hispanic" is just the identifier for the array.

The interesting part: the hispanic community in Indy is not terribly isolated or dense. There are Hispanic-heavy neighborhoods, but no Barrio...The hispanics live in all parts of town, more or less, so seeing the disease progress through that community seemingly without infecting the greater population is evidence that athropology - cultural factors - may have as much (or more) to do with the spread of the disease than simple proximity does.

That bit of information seems to run counter to the more common story that the disease is pervasive and persistant...if Denny's observation holds merit, we are most likely to be infected by those closest to us, not a random passerby.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

Sorry to hear that, praying for you and your family

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom