• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Your picture won’t open for me for some reason, but depending on how big they are, I have used a torch to melt off parts to get the rest to fit in my 20lb Lee pot. Or, when making alloy, I use a cheap Walmart dutch oven on a turkey fryer base and use a ladle to pour the alloy into my ingot molds. I have read of guys salvaging keep weights out of sailboats which are very larch, with a chainsaw. Put it over a tarp to catch the chunks. Personally, I’d like to see that in person!

At work, the carpenters and to cut some blocks for a radiology room that were a couple inches thick. They used a jigsaw on low speed and had someone spritz it with water. Lead, being very soft will clog up a blade very quickly so even a larger toothed blade, like a wood sawzall blade will end up coated in melted lead easily of you go too fast and hard.

Well, now it opened. I see five pound plumbers lead and dive weights. The dive weights being kind of open will cut or partially melt pretty easy. The muffins of plumbers lead is a bit tougher. A thrift store soup pot and a camp stove or a side burner on a grill will make it all liquid fairly easy.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    U
    Another thing you could do to break up those blocks is use a chisel or a splitting wedge and just split them up.

Get a cheap Amazon or Harbor Freight one and just smack it with a 5 lb sledgehammer
    Yeah, cold chisel and a hammer.
    Drive a screw into one side, tie a wire to the screw, hang it over the pot and propane or mapp gas torch it in.

gassprint1

Master
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Simplest thing to do is a propane chicken fryer burner and any large cast iron skillet used outside. Find the old cast iron cornbread pans and make smaller ingots for later.

Slow Hand

Master
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Old cast iron cornbread molds are harder and harder to find. Lee and Lyman make nice aluminum ingot molds. I have also made my own out of angle iron and welded them up, if you have access to metal working tools. Basically made my own because when you start pouring ingots out of a full Dutch oven, the aluminum molds will eventually get hot enough that it takes too long for the ingots to cool down.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Old cast iron cornbread molds are harder and harder to find. Lee and Lyman make nice aluminum ingot molds. I have also made my own out of angle iron and welded them up, if you have access to metal working tools. Basically made my own because when you start pouring ingots out of a full Dutch oven, the aluminum molds will eventually get hot enough that it takes too long for the ingots to cool down.
    Muffin tins from yard sales works great

I've got all the muffin iron, home made angle iron, regular round muffin tins, and FINALLY just bought a few of Lee aluminum molds when I saw them on sale.

Do your self a favor and just look for the lowest price on the internet for the Lee or Lyman mold and just buy four of them and be done with all the half way making do BS. You'll never be sorry.

Top Bottom