• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Dental hygienist is wearing gloves, a mask, and face shield. The stuff is sterilized and sanitized between patients already. Workers, and patients are screened prior to being allowed to work or be worked on. I would trust a hygeniest before a clerk making change for me.

good luck finding one. they are not very interested in getting back to work right now. unemployment plus $600 is awfully tempting i guess. gonna make it very hard for dentists to honor PPP terms

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Doesn't seem quite right does it? You want to go back to work? Okay, but we're cutting your pay. Want to go on unemployment? Great! You get a raise! :scratch:

You say that as if it isn't be design.

The entire entitlement system is set up this way. I wrote a paper about it back in high school in the early 90s, and it's only gotten worse. There is about a $40K gap (last time I looked at the numbers) between what one makes sucking off of the government teat and the salary cutoff for government assistance for a family of 4. That is, the Benevolent Government will give a family of 4 about $70K a year in money and benefits not to work or to work less-than-full-time. But as soon as that family of 4 has self-acquired wages of about $30K, all assistance from the Benevolent Government get cut off. How the hell is a struggling family supposed to overcome that kind of gap?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why can't they wean them off? Never have the political will?

The entire entitlement system is set up this way. I wrote a paper about it back in high school in the early 90s, and it's only gotten worse. There is about a $40K gap (last time I looked at the numbers) between what one makes sucking off of the government teat and the salary cutoff for government assistance for a family of 4. That is, the Benevolent Government will give a family of 4 about $70K a year in money and benefits not to work or to work less-than-full-time. But as soon as that family of 4 has self-acquired wages of about $30K, all assistance from the Benevolent Government get cut off. How the hell is a struggling family supposed to overcome that kind of gap?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    One of the local hospitals puts out daily numbers of corona cases positive, tested and negative. In one week they have tested 168 people, with only four being positive. Other then 3-4 big spikes, this has been the norm. Other counties in the area are not even as bad as Vigo.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why can't they wean them off? Never have the political will?

Because "they" isn't a monolith. The "they" who get to make the decisions are individuals who widely disagree on policy. What we end up with is the consensus policy which is full of pork and promises filled with stuff the "them" wanted that the "us" didn't, and visa versa.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The more you know the more you grow.

Well. Far as I can tell my "knowledge" really must have taken off in my late 30s, because my waste line grew a lot back then. Or maybe it was that my metabolism changed. Idunno. Either way.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    good luck finding one. they are not very interested in getting back to work right now. unemployment plus $600 is awfully tempting i guess. gonna make it very hard for dentists to honor PPP terms
    If an employee declines an opportunity to return to work, the employer informs Workforce Development and said employee won't get their unemployment benefits.

I'm also finding the good employees totally understand they want the job for the long term. My only employee who has been hinting at voluntary furlough has never been the best employee.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Got a link for the $70k a year figure? Because that really sounds like unmitigated BS to me.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm a flat-rate mechanic, which means I get paid by the job, no draw. I had the option to furlough and take unemployment, or work a reduced schedule. I chose to stay at work and take my chances, keeping a reasonable distance and access to ppe is not an issue in my job. I have no idea how much I might have gotten from public benefits, but there have been days I spent money to be at work. I would rather work for little than take a handout for more. I was educated by my family to believe that this is an important element of my character as a man.

I think benefits should be a last resort. I'll use them when I absolutely need them...and for only as long as I absolutely have to.

A robust social safety net doesn't have to be a funnel for a full-blown nanny state. We can have programs for those who need temporary help without forever marrying them to the sytem. It seems to me, however, that both the bureaucracy and the ideological left have a vested interest in turning it into one. It's simple self-preservation.

I don't doubt Chip's numbers...he isn't one to post poorly-supported or flippant responses. I think it shows a desparate need for institutional reform.

I have very little hope of that from Washington.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got a link for the $70k a year figure? Because that really sounds like unmitigated BS to me.

He did say "money and benefits". So checks. Medicaid. Food stamps. Education assistance. And those are a few of the biggies. Think of all the government programs that one might be availed of. It adds up. I don't have any problem believing that those numbers could be accurate.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had a low grade fever and my left ear was giving me hell. So after 3 week and it getting worse I called the Dr got in the next day. Nurses did the questioning and normal checks, the Dr comes in i repeated every thing to the Dr, she does her checks. Then finally looks in my ear the whole reason I'm there. Says you have an ear infection then she checks me for strep throat, Flu, and Wuhan virus. I had 1 symptom fever. My county must have a lot of these tests if they are checking everyone out with a fever. Next im told to say home just in case i have it could take 7 days to get results back. That's not happening. It's a simple ear infection.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    He did say "money and benefits". So checks. Medicaid. Food stamps. Education assistance. And those are a few of the biggies. Think of all the government programs that one might be availed of. It adds up. I don't have any problem believing that those numbers could be accurate.
    I agree it's realistic. It's been a while since I've seen the numbers but just think about all the times you see the "free lunch" as the line drawn at schools for whether you pay other fees or get free assistance. I'm not saying those people don't need it. But I think sometimes the middle income folks that are just over the "assistance" line have the least discretionary spending ability.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My only hindrance to also calling BS is perhaps $70K is the gross cost to taxpayers, i.e. you have to add in administration costs.

And the $30K cutoff isn't true either. Might have been in the 90's, but today no.

EDIT: These numbers are based on dad, mom, and three kids.
    Being a tax dude, I really only know about that in this respect, and the EIC starts to taper out above $24,800, but doesn't hit $0 till $55,950.
    And the max EITC is $6557, and in order to get that, you actually do have to work and have earned income.
    And looking at the tables, I see that SNAP (food stamps) limit is almost $40K.
    I think unemployment can get you $20K a year, but that has time limits (1/2 year, IIRC).
    I suppose health insurance (Indiana HIP) would be another source, but I'm not sure about the $$.

Where the really money is to be had is [scamming] SS disability. There all sorts of rural towns where a factory closes and there a spike in the disability claims right after.

You say it's by design, but actually, it's an unintended consequence of good intentions; to which the road to hell is paved.

Wait, WTF does this have to do with the Coronavirus?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I had a low grade fever and my left ear was giving me hell. So after 3 week and it getting worse I called the Dr got in the next day. Nurses did the questioning and normal checks, the Dr comes in i repeated every thing to the Dr, she does her checks. Then finally looks in my ear the whole reason I'm there. Says you have an ear infection then she checks me for strep throat, Flu, and Wuhan virus. I had 1 symptom fever. My county must have a lot of these tests if they are checking everyone out with a fever. Next im told to say home just in case i have it could take 7 days to get results back. That's not happening. It's a simple ear infection.

It's unfortunate the testing takes 7 days. I believe much of that is for time to transport to the lab, deal with backlogs, etc. We need chairside testing if possible, or at least a 48 hr turnaround.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's unfortunate the testing takes 7 days. I believe much of that is for time to transport to the lab, deal with backlogs, etc. We need chairside testing if possible, or at least a 48 hr turnaround.

Strep and flu was within 15-30 minutes. Why i was tested for any of this with a known problem aka ear infection I'll never know. Maybe its to get a feel of what's going on. Maybe everyone should head in get tested so they can have a super sample and get us back to work. I decided to leave after the strep test told them to call with flu results. No need sticking around for something they can't fix.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Strep and flu was within 15-30 minutes. Why i was tested for any of this with a known problem aka ear infection I'll never know. Maybe its to get a feel of what's going on. Maybe everyone should head in get tested so they can have a super sample and get us back to work. I decided to leave after the strep test told them to call with flu results. No need sticking around for something they can't fix.

Might be an insurance thing. If it later turns out you got COVID-19, then this can be coded appropriately.

I heard a story on ME today about this.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I was raised the same way.

I know people making 6 figures who are complaining because work now means driving 30 min instead of 10 and their gas cost has gone up. Others who are advising their family members to take all the unemployment. Its a mentality that believes its a way to get back all the money paid in taxes over the years. Why don't they just help their family member?

I don't think it will stop. The more people in need become faceless because charity has been has been shifted from taking care of your family/neighbor to making the government the middle person.

I'm a flat-rate mechanic, which means I get paid by the job, no draw. I had the option to furlough and take unemployment, or work a reduced schedule. I chose to stay at work and take my chances, keeping a reasonable distance and access to ppe is not an issue in my job. I have no idea how much I might have gotten from public benefits, but there have been days I spent money to be at work. I would rather work for little than take a handout for more. I was educated by my family to believe that this is an important element of my character as a man.

I think benefits should be a last resort. I'll use them when I absolutely need them...and for only as long as I absolutely have to.

A robust social safety net doesn't have to be a funnel for a full-blown nanny state. We can have programs for those who need temporary help without forever marrying them to the sytem. It seems to me, however, that both the bureaucracy and the ideological left have a vested interest in turning it into one. It's simple self-preservation.

I don't doubt Chip's numbers...he isn't one to post poorly-supported or flippant responses. I think it shows a desparate need for institutional reform.

I have very little hope of that from Washington.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom