doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not aware of this thread till today.
    Going on a trip/cruise to Italy April 17-27.

This am I saw where the virus jumped from 5 cases to 200 over the weekend in Italy.
    A dozen schools closed, thousands on lockdown in some places, a certain Cathedral closed to tourists.

This could be interesting.

Markets finally starting to reflect it, with commentators surprised it hadn't happened earlier since we are in an artificially high market anyway.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

This am I saw where the virus jumped from 5 cases to 200 over the weekend in Italy.
    A dozen schools closed, thousands on lockdown in some places, a certain Cathedral closed to tourists.

Markets finally starting to reflect it, with commentators surprised it hadn't happened earlier since we are in an artificially high market anyway.

Things keep it up and I doubt you will get in to Italy at all. Hopefully it is all under control before then.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Things keep it up and I doubt you will get in to Italy at all. Hopefully it is all under control before then.

If u get in you may not get out. There are no more repatriation flights of US citizens stuck in hot zones. Travel at your own risk.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

If it was up to me only, I'd cancel and take my losses on what I couldn't get refunded (we bought insurance, so shouldn't be a problem).
    I haven't talked to the wife about this yet (actually, talking now).
    My daughter is probably willing to face death for a vacation: I don't care about vacations, never have. :dunno:
    I only go here or there b/c of the wife likes to do so.
    I could live w/o traveling anyway: I have my Rick Steves' Tour videos. :laugh:
    That, plus my hundreds of Geography vids (I also showed traveling/touring vids) I experienced over the decades teaching satiated my adventurous side.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

According to posts 913 and 915, 29.8 million on lockdown, and the number of confirmed cases tripled in 24 hours after that. 3 months in jail if you try to leave your town.

It does seem like the Italians are much more proactive about containment than many others, hopefully we get a more honest assessment of this from them.

The only light I see that indicates this will not be a worldwide disaster is that the treatment seems much more successful in more developed countries with a much lower death rate.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

If it gets as bad as some say it could the last thing you will be worried about are the markets, or even paper money for that matter.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I was going to suggest that because I'm really concerned about Italy. By the time you get there, you won't be able to do much as Italy is rapidly shutting down. You might suggest holding the money and going next year if/when things calm down.

Yesterday's Chris Martenson update is fairly long, but has lots of good info. doddg- You might want to check at 8-12:45min for the section specifically on Italy.

[video=youtube;GuBB3GNGQIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBB3GNGQIk[/video]

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I think this is useful info about various viruses that almost certainly applies to coronavirus as well. Feeling well/recovered is not the same as cured. You can still be contagious for a period after recovering. This is captured from the video above:

NLVMWUd.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Pandemics are not real.No need to worry.The WHO solved the problem,they eliminated the entire category of disease. Nothing can ever be called a pandemic again.We are SAVED by the WHO(sarcasm).

As of this morning....
    "There is no official category (for a pandemic)," WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said. "WHO does not use the old phasing system that some people may be familiar with from 2009.

GENEVA: The World Health Organization (WHO) no longer has a process for declaring a pandemic, but the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak remains an international emergency, a spokesman said on Monday (Feb 24).
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...2465146?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom