• Status
    Not open for further replies.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    SWMBO just got back from the joint doctor here in FW to see about some worsening issues. He was not happy with her being out at all, and told her pain is not an emergency.

He also said the they are running out of supplies at Dupont Hospital, and there are several covid-19 victims in ICU now, but that is not on the news.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    SWMBO just got back from the joint doctor here in FW to see about some worsening issues. He was not happy with her being out at all, and told her pain is not an emergency.

He also said the they are running out of supplies at Dupont Hospital, and there are several covid-19 victims in ICU now, but that is not on the news.

Makes me wonder what Parkview looks like then...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yes, 80% are mild, negligible symptoms to flu-like symptoms, 20% of the cases require medical intervention, including hospitalization.

6% are critically ill and require ICU. There are 60,000 ICU beds in the nation. Once those are all full, the mortality rate starts heading towards 6%.

ETA: Hopefully, once widespread testing is available, it'll prove these percentages wrong. But Diamond Princess, Wuhan and increasingly, Italy, indicate they're not.
    I guess I would also add that the sheet qwerty posted up looked at it this way, early on the death rate was 5% and it’s now 1.6%, based on reported infections.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We live in a damn clown world.

She actually censored the word "Chinese" in his tweet.

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1240623054578991104

Elizabeth Warren said:
    President Trump, are your eyes stitched shut? Hospitals need test kits, ventilators, & other medical supplies. That's why the DPA exists. Stop dragging your feet & burying your head & start helping hospitals that are about to be slammed by this pandemic.

ETeTuFVWkAEsUie

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    We live in a damn clown world.

She actually censored the word "Chinese" in his tweet.

https://twitter.com/SenWarren/status/1240623054578991104

Never mind that the buttholes have been calling Trump a dictator for 3 years now and are suddenly mad that he isn't forcing people at gun point to do what they want with his powers.

Plus... Do they think Trump just has an inventory of all of these things waiting in his back pocket or something? It's not like the free money that is raining from the sky on virtually everything right now where they can just invent it any time they want.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Laura Ingraham’s show tonight had a Dr on who said Chloroquine, an old anti-malaria drug that’s been around for decades, has demonstrated efficacy in both prevention and treatment of corona virus. Haven’t seen any links about it yet, but apparently some paper discussing it is being published in a few days. Supposedly about 5 cents a pill and a 6 day treatment was enough to halt the virus in some test subjects. If true, that’ll change the game. Stay tuned...

As I suspected a couple days ago, sounds like the game’s changing in a positive way...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At what point is the "cure" worse than the disease?

Well, what do we value more, our economy or our life?
    When an individual is faced with self preservation vs inconvenience, humans will generally choose self preservation. Not always, but usually. When faced with the choice of their own self preservation vs someone else's inconvenience, well, let's just say the economies screwed.

If 1% of our population gets this, and the mortality rate really is as high as 5%, that's 182,500 dead and virtually all deaths have been people that were on the way to the exit already... If things keep up the way we're going, we're going to have at least half that number dead or headed to prison from straight up poverty and millions more might wish they were, with most of those in my scenario being otherwise capable working people that used to be looking forward to a comfortable life. That's ignoring the millions more people in future generations effected by dropping nukes on the fire that was already out of control .gov spending.

So... My opinion is that the response has been far in excess of what is reasonable and is already paving the way to much worse problems for everyone as opposed to under 200,000 people. It seems the cure is worse than the disease, IMO, but time will tell. This could all blow over in 2 weeks and everything is fine again, or it could be a depression that will last a decade.

We as a society are not having this discussion, it is damn the torpedos we are stopping this virus. We as a society make all kinds of decisions that economics trumps "saving just one life" all the time. For example we choose not to set speed limits at 10 mph max even though it would save thousands of lives. We do not force the steps to save folks from the flu, just let thousands die per year. Ho hum.

We as a society need to have a rational discussion of economic needs vs life saving needs...

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    And when looking at "the numbers" be careful to notice what that 80% is talking about, total confirmed infected (actual count of positive tests,) or some estimate, suspected, presumed.

An UNKNOWNABLE is the total number of untested people with no or very mild symptoms who have COVID19 versus any of the other stuff going around this season.

COVID19 isn't the flu, but it behaves as the flu behaves in terms of getting passed around. People should remember when it got impolite to cover their hands when they sneezed or coughed, the new advice was cough/sneeze in your elbow. Clean hands frequently, don't touch your face in public, don't touch others if not necessary, keep distance in stores, etc...

COVID19 is like SARS, and MERS, and what I mean is, we are dealing/dealt with those as well as others before it with far less technology.

Camels snorting and whatnot in the local water supply, or right next to camp kitchen... and you know, it gets lonely in the desert and cold at night.

I agree with pretty much all you said above with the key being take adequate precautions.

One note on SARS/MERS, my understanding is that they are much more lethal than SARS-2 for individuals that contract it, but it puts them down and kills them very quickly - in like days. Not much walking around spreading with those.

SARS-2, many can walk around for days or weeks spreading the virus.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Trump has announced that the FDA has fast-tracked chloroquine for treating Wuhan coronavirus.

Trump Touts Anti-Malaria Drug To Treat COVID-19

According to the study cited (small sample: 36 people) in the article, the virus was knocked out in 6 days or less in 100% of cases using a combination of chloroquine and azithromycin. Unlike many previous observations, this one was randomized and peer reviewed. Chloroquine can have some minimal-moderate side-effects, so it isn't to be used lightly, but it appears to be a very effective treatment.

Clarification: Chloroquine was shown to have a positive effect, but the combination with azithromycin was very effective in the study.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Whelp, this has finally hit home.

Ditto.

Bonnaroo has been postponed to late September.

Currently, the policy is no refunds. That may change, and it's not too bad, given that you're likely to be able to sell those tickets. Hopefully, the lineup doesn't change for the worse.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Trump has announced that the FDA has fast-tracked chloroquine for treating Wuhan coronavirus.

Trump Touts Anti-Malaria Drug To Treat COVID-19

According to the study cited (small sample: 36 people) in the article, the virus was knocked out in 6 days or less in 100% of cases using a combination of chloroquine and azithromycin. Unlike many previous observations, this one was randomized and peer reviewed. Chloroquine can have some minimal-moderate side-effects, so it isn't to be used lightly, but it appears to be a very effective treatment.

Clarification: Chloroquine was shown to have a positive effect, but the combination with azithromycin was very effective in the study.

So, I wasn't that far off with new G&T diet.

I got 5 gallons of carbonated water, about a 2/3 case of tonic syrup, and plenty of gin.

I also got a 1/6 bbl keg of Belgian Blonde beer to get me through this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom