• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I have a friend who is an attending ER doc in PA. She said the other night a young-ish man came in at 2:30 am with shoulder pain that had been going on for 7 years because he was curious to see how many sick people there were in there. She was juggling this clown and two real patients who were in respiratory distress and probably had corona virus.

Sounds like his head finally worked all the way up from his rectum to his clavicle.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    According to CDC, everybody that dies gets one cause of death from a list (ICD-10 is the latest I think) and then potentially multiple reasons on the MCD form.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Mail and Packages...
    I have an 8ft folding table by my front door as a staging area. After gearing up, I kinda look through the mail then stack it in separate piles. My packages get trash bagged then set in a row under the table. I'll open them after they're all 4 days old.

If you think I am overreacting, then I think you're a bit obstinate or in a coma.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Just FYI, my self-isolation and working-from-home is likely at a very near end. As early as next week, I'll be heading to the site of one of our clients, to help lead the effort for tech transfer and validation so that they can start production of (you can guess the drug).

I don't talk much about my work, but this sort of scenario is exactly why I do what I do: to help bring life-saving treatments to people who need them.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, one ER doc has already said "nope. Not gonna do it until they modify the label to include this as a legit and official use for the drug." The worry is 6-18 months from now commercials all over the TV: "Were you prescribed Chloroquine for Covid-19 and think you were harmed? We can sue for you and get a big payday in your pocket. You deserve this. Call now."

Could you bypass the headache by calling it an experimental drug and signing a waiver?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Mail and Packages...
    I have an 8ft folding table by my front door as a staging area. After gearing up, I kinda look through the mail then stack it in separate piles. My packages get trash bagged then set in a row under the table. I'll open them after they're all 4 days old.

If you think I am overreacting, then I think you're a bit obstinate or in a coma.

I think you are being smart.

I have been getting my mail bare handed and then throw it in the trash and wash my hands. Packages get stored for at least four days.

From now on I'm going to use a dedicated pair of gloves. Sooner or later I will get some mail that I need to open too. I guess those will have to wait four days.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Just FYI, my self-isolation and working-from-home is likely at a very near end. As early as next week, I'll be heading to the site of one of our clients, to help lead the effort for tech transfer and validation so that they can start production of (you can guess the drug).

I don't talk much about my work, but this sort of scenario is exactly why I do what I do: to help bring life-saving treatments to people who need them.

Pot?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Mail and Packages...

I don't think you are over-reacting. I do something similar, or do a protocol that involves hand washing after opening the box, sanitize the items, pitch the box, etc

I do think we will find it's unlikely the virus is alive and active on packages, but I'm in favor of being cautious. This isn't a time to increase the bid for the ventilators.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you're gonna directly call me out like that, let me explain...

You listen to the whining 64 year old woman, who is the only person in the office that actually prints anything, whine non-stop for 3 days because we're out of toner. Especially if it happens to be for the printer she demanded be placed on her desk instead of walking all the way over there to the regular printer for everybody else.

I have the suicide hotline on speed dial when toner shortages arise.

Fair enough!

See, THAT's how you do it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I do not like being lied to. When she was talking about all states having been testing for 3 weeks. I still remember a 9 days ago when 5 states did not even yet have the ability to test.
    They asked a similar question about testing rates she said all states have been testing since the beginning.

Both of those statements are lies.

I guess at this point the official policy to to judge clusters by only the number in the ICU,since she clearly stated that is what the testing guidelines are for getting a test. In some places like CA,WA,and NY they are actually even more strict now,with testing only taking place if it will change your clinical treatment.

Test,trace,test,trace...looks like we failed that miserably.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So you think the deaths are significantly under-reported? We know the denominator is under-reported, I would say by a much higher factor than the numerator. And about deaths, without an autopsy, it's probably not all that representative to say they died, and they had covid-19, therefore they died from covid-19. Maybe it hastened the process. But if you had terminal cancer, and a compromised immune system, and you had covid-19, and you died. Did you really die from covid-19? I think that's the way they're tallying it, and I'm not sure it's accurate.
    Yeah, I think the deaths are under-reported and over-represented, if that makes sense.

The deaths that are reported are because the person who died had either tested positive for it during the rationed testing or it was positively identified post-mortem. So, the sick/dying people were getting a higher percentage of tests (and thus positives) than the population of truly infected, let alone the population at large.

And someone in a nursing home who is positively identified with a test and then dies of respiratory failure, yeah, I chalk that up to COVID-19. If it leaked a day from that person's life, then that's the cause. It took them out of one bucket (maybe alzheimers or ALS or whatever) and put them into the COVID-19 bucket. (Comorbidities notwithstanding.)

That's the way I'd run it. Anything else is speculative.

Now, if they had COVID-19 and got hit by car, that's not the virus's fault.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Stop the bleeding. Send the arm to x-ray. Kick the coughers out with scripts to go home and call their doctors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom