• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Now that's an idea! Park a fifth wheel outside At Elmos...slides out!

Went past a Buffalo Wild Wings Friday night, must have been 6 cars in the parking lot with people eating in them. Friends of mine took their camper to a nice local restaurant so they could have an anniversary dinner out.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    As I have said before, I don't care what YOU call it. Denying that calling it one thing versus another can result in different outcomes is what I find interesting.
    Do you think calling it covid-19 will suddenly make racist people not do racist things?

Did calling it the West Nile virus cause non racist people to treat black Americans any different? Did it make non racists suddenly racist?

Can we move on from this discussion? It’s pointless

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    What are the names of these objectively-proven-to-be -racist persons? Like many assertions of racism, this doesn't come with any names. It's like nailing jello to a wall. It doesn't mean it's false. But it certainly doesn't meet any kind of "bar" for proving the assertions, either. It seems to be more "tilting at windmills" than anything.

So your response is that there is no racism, that all of those 650 reports (as of two weeks ago) are false? You instead want an anecdote naming a particular person?

How about Thomas Robb? He prefers the term "Chinese virus." If he has an opinion outside the norm, my knee-jerk reaction is going to be the opposite.

Even President Trump dropped the geographical designation, regularly just calling it the coronavirus.

It doesn't have to be "better." It just has to be valid. There can be valid constructions, which are not necessarily in widespread use by "experts." Nobody is alleging they don't understand what people are talking about when they say "wu-flu," so the basic requirement of accurate communication is fulfilled.

I think it is worse and has some negative implications. I stated that opinion. I gave reasons why I hold that opinion. To me, worse with negative
    implications without some decent reason makes it not a valid construction; to me it's a problematic construction.

When I first spoke up on the topic, I figured that people who were calling it "Wuhan flu" were doing so without malice, and I tried to indicate that. I didn't make any accusations. I certainly didn't try to
    come across as scolding anyone.

I said that it's better for INGO if we use the widespread terminology rather than terminology that seems to put blame on a subset of people. (A subset, by the way, who were themselves ravaged by Covid-19 and who live under government oppression that makes our current situation here seem like liberty and prosperity.) I still think that is true.

It sure seems to matter to some people here that they get to use whatever wording they want without even the slightest challenge to their thinking.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You remind me of her....ask me questions but don't want men to respond.

If I allow you to change my behavior though that makes me less of a man....what a quandary.

Do you think calling it covid-19 will suddenly make racist people not do racist things?

Did calling it the West Nile virus cause non racist people to treat black Americans any different? Did it make non racists suddenly racist?

Can we move on from this discussion? It’s pointless

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There are multiple words that weren't racist until they were. Do we continue their usage because at one time they weren't or do we change our behavior?

Their language? I didn’t realize the white supremacy was running the media and medical field? Besides, they were the first to call it the wuhan virus.

I don’t think anyone legitimizes racism by calling a virus by its region.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You remind me of her....ask me questions but don't want men to respond.

If I allow you to change my behavior though that makes me less of a man....what a quandary.
    You can reply. You did reply. I’m just saying this discussion is never ending. We will never agree that calling a virus a specific term legitimizes racism.

If racists say grass is green, can I also say it’s green, or does that legitimize racism because I’m using a term they use? It’s a far out analogy but it can be used to describe any term racist people may use. It’s ridiculous to say it legitimizes them because of what we call it.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Their language? I didn’t realize the white supremacy was running the media and medical field? Besides, they were the first to call it the wuhan virus.

And they quickly moved away from that name due to negative externalities. (Namely, stupid people becoming spiteful and in some cases violent on the basis of race.)

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    And they quickly moved away from that name due to negative externalities. (Namely, stupid people becoming spiteful and in some cases violent on the basis of race.)
    Yes, that’s exactly why. Because calling it wuhan suddenly made a bunch of people grab their pitch forks and go beat up Asian people. :rolleyes:

They changed the name because a bunch of white knights thought it to be offensive, so got on social media and cried about it and caused an uproar.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Who determines what terms are racist?

Like all words, meaning is tied to usage.

Neutral people have almost entirely dropped using the geographical reference. Openly racist groups use only the geographical reference.

When there's a difference, I don't want to find myself on the same side as the groups that actively and openly self-describe as racists.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Like all words, meaning is tied to usage.

Neutral people have almost entirely dropped using the geographical reference. Openly racist groups use only the geographical reference.

When there's a difference, I don't want to find myself on the same side as the groups that actively and openly self-describe as racists.

Exactly! It’s tied to usage! I’m glad we agree finally. So calling it a wuhan virus isn’t racist. Nobody here is using it in that sort of usage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom