c1WpI3Y.png

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...s-grown-for-restaurants-hotels/2211585843469/

ORLANDO, Fla., April 6 (UPI) -- U.S. farmers have destroyed millions of pounds of perishable food like tomatoes, lettuce and green beans because growers lost a vast number of customers after the coronavirus pandemic struck.
    I have a neighbor that will be dumping milk soon, if he didn’t today. He won’t do it too long before he gets rid of the cows, which is a shame. Score one for vertical integration and the big boys.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not sure I should bother doing this,but may as well.

The covid tracking project gets their information here...."All our information comes from state/district/territory public health authorities—or, occasionally, from trusted news reporting, official press conferences, or (very occasionally) tweets or Facebook updates from state public health authorities or governors. "
    https://covidtracking.com/about-data

How many of those sources list hospitalizations,number of cases in ICU,or numbers on Ventilators? Not many. Of those that do how many days behind are the numbers simply due to the logistics of gathering information from every hospital and local health department? I can tell you the governor of MN where I am said the reporting on average takes 4-5 days to catch up,so what he is reporting are the numbers from then not now.

So information is not just key,how you get the information and when that information was actually gathered matter. If you are missing huge amounts of that data such as how many are on ventilators because it is not widely reported by most states how valuable is the data you do have when compared to the whole?

Of course IHME data was revised as it is almost daily. They are adjusting the model daily by what data they have. They have always done this,and all of the above still applies.

I have been on some of the calls working on the IHME model(2 of them). They are aware of some of the issues,but at this point the model serves only one purpose,a tool for states to use to estimate what they will need in a best case scenario. It says so right on the page itself. It also shows daily updates,and why they happened.

4 weeks ago the world was ending and we followed these clowns to literally kill the hottest economy in history ostensibly to save millions of lives. Now the threat keeps getting downgraded every few days and yet we are killing our economy not because of the numbers we are down to now, because of the numbers they were saying a few weeks ago. Do you think for a minute Indiana businesses and workers that lost their jobs would shut down then if the true numbers from now were known? I don't!

They have the public ridiculously scared that they are going to die from Covid-19 and yet reporting I see says that over 85% of fatalities have at least one other major health factor. The healthy adults need to go back to work, we need to adjust to limit exposure to each other, and protect our at risk population. Schools are already shut down leave them shut down. We must get back to work...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I have a neighbor that will be dumping milk soon, if he didn’t today. He won’t do it too long before he gets rid of the cows, which is a shame. Score one for vertical integration and the big boys.

I can live on milk. And I love burgers.
    In fact I'll bet I'm not alone in saying that. So why ditch the moo juice and and butch Bessie when there are plenty of hungry people out there.

Or is it just too much work to find new buyers but easy peasy to just do a tax write-off for the year.

I'm actually pissed on hearing these stories of unnecessarily wasting precious food like this. It doesn't need to happen.
    It probably affects me more than most. My favorite hobby is eating.

Seriously.... What the hell? :dunno:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have been on some of the calls working on the IHME model(2 of them).

Could you expand on this? What is your background? Current occupation? How did you become involved in these calls? What was your input on these models?

I’m asking because you seem to have self-positioned yourself as an expert on this situation and I think if you provided your credentials it would help people to understand where you’re coming from.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why shoud we we shut down the economy and believe the clowns that obviously got it wrong and now are changing their estimates?

Estimates change with new information. The original estimates were based on a different set of facts. The original estimates didn't account for social distancing (because it wasn't happening) , so they were higher.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Estimates change with new information. The original estimates were based on a different set of facts. The original estimates didn't account for social distancing (because it wasn't happening) , so they were higher.

Well this guy is tired of being played like a sucker, they didn't know what they were doing, they don't know what they are doing, making it up as they go...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Well this guy is tired of being played like a sucker, they didn't know what they were doing, they don't know what they are doing, making it up as they go...

The estimates have gone down because of the response.

You can't use the results of the response as evidence that the response wasn't needed.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Definition of estimate

estimate verb
    es-ti-mate | \ e-stə-māt\
    transitive verb
    1a : to judge tentatively or approximately the value, worth, or significance of
    b : to determine roughly the size, extent, or nature of

estimate noun
    es-ti-mate | \ e-stə-mət\
    1a : a rough or approximate calculation

Thank God and the guidelines in place that the estimates went down!!

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    The estimates have gone down because of the response.

You can't use the results of the response as evidence that the response wasn't needed.
    I agree. The numbers could have and would have been a lot higher had we not shut down schools and businesses, and issued a quarantine. We don’t know how high, but it wouldn’t be what it is currently for sure.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I am not upset,but I am starting to care less about people who can not accept things like shutting down the economy where for a good reason.

It is not worth arguing about honestly. Either they understand it or they do not. I no longer care to try to persuade someone no matter their opinion,if they where going to
    take this more seriously they already would have.

Today the media seem to be acting like this is almost over. I am not even going to argue the other side anymore.

I alone am responsible for my well being,and have known that for months(when it came to covid-19).

I choose to take this seriously. If someone does not it is their choice to make. I just hope like me they can accept the responsibility of their choices.

The problem is, others are forced to accept the responsibility of their choices, as well. Who among us can be certain we haven't been a carrier and infected others? I don't like the concept that I could be responsible for infecting, perhaps killing, someone I'll never know I've infected. No, I'm not good with that, and I don't really understand how anyone could be ambivalent (yes, perhaps ignorant, but not ambivalent) to such a possibility.

Note: My sister-in-law's uncle died from COVID-19 in a nursing home in Martinsville, and his wife is hospitalized with the virus right now. Even in rural counties, it's going to touch most of our lives; it's just a matter of time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Definition of estimate

estimate verb
    es-ti-mate | \ e-stə-māt\
    transitive verb
    1a : to judge tentatively or approximately the value, worth, or significance of
    b : to determine roughly the size, extent, or nature of

estimate noun
    es-ti-mate | \ e-stə-mət\
    1a : a rough or approximate calculation

Thank God and the guidelines in place that the estimates went down!!

BS, you have no proof of that? Nope you don't, just another opinion. And no one should shut down a whole country based on such flimsy estimates. There is reporting that the couple of countries that have not shut down have similar statistics to the US.

The data from WHO, China, and others was believed to be questionable weeks ago and yet we let a media that sucks up to China, so the conglomerate can get business in China, lied and scared the American people so bad they demanded .gov do something.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Why is it that important what someone calls it? It originated in wuhan.

Calling it "the wuhan virus" accomplishes at least two negative things:
    1. It makes the conversation less precise.
    2. It disparages a group of victims as though Covid-19 was their fault.

I can't come up with any positive.

Yeah, it's a small thing. But why try to be abrasive about stuff like this? Conservatives are regularly labeled as racists; why give more ammo to the opposition for nothing gained?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom