• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    As this rabbit gets chased back and forth, I am left with one question: Why can we not simply leave the license to carry alone completely while not REQUIRING possession of one to carry, thus having constitutional carry without interfering with reciprocity?

I think that's a great idea. ;)
    personally, I think the way the issue could best be handled is 1) a removal of the statute making carrying w/o a permit illegal and 2) continuing to offer LTCH permits exactly as they are today.

-rvb

My very reliable source tells me that the bill, HB 1056 as drafted, is being amended to state that the existing lifetime LTCH remains in effect and the existing LTCH license will be merely optional, for reciprocity purposes.

Great to hear, can't wait to see the final version. Thanks!

-rvb

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    HB 1056 has been amended to make the existing lifetime LTCH good and the new LTCH will merely be "optional". Leadership still has not given this bill a hearing, we have less than one week to let them know how you feel about this issue ...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    HB 1056 has been amended to make the existing lifetime LTCH good and the new LTCH will merely be "optional". Leadership still has not given this bill a hearing, we have less than one week to let them know how you feel about this issue ...

Calls made to Rep. Steuerwald's office, to express support for HB 1056, and to Speaker Bosma's office, to express support that HB 1056 get a hearing.

asipes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Central Indiana
    Who do I need to contact now? I assume Bosma, but please let me know who else. I will do my part and encourage family and friends to do so as well!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Who do I need to contact now? I assume Bosma, but please let me know who else. I will do my part and encourage family and friends to do so as well!

Contact the office of your state representative. Use the switchboard: 800-382-9841, and ask for your rep's office.

If you need to identify your representative:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/legislators/

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

Contact the office of your state representative. Use the switchboard: 800-382-9841, and ask for your rep's office.

If you need to identify your representative:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2014/legislators/

Chairman Dermody (H20) - Speaker Bosma (H88) - perhaps: Members of the Public Policy Committee - as well as your own State Representative.
    Dermody is the key - the others may be able to influence him to grant a hearing. (Bosma, being the most influential one, as speaker).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Chairman Dermody (H20) - Speaker Bosma (H88) - perhaps: Members of the Public Policy Committee - as well as your own State Representative.
    Dermody is the key - the others may be able to influence him to grant a hearing. (Bosma, being the most influential one, as speaker).

Crap, I failed to call Dermody. Will rectify post-haste.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just called Chairman Dermody's, Speaker Bosma's, and my State Representative's offices to urge their support of HB 1056. I'm now on a mission to urge my fellow citizens to do the same.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Made a few phone calls and emails on this as well. Thanks for the updates, everyone, and hoping this does come to a vote this year.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I just called Chairman Dermody's, Speaker Bosma's, and my State Representative's offices to urge their support of HB 1056. I'm now on a mission to urge my fellow citizens to do the same.

This - and I'll be back on it via IMAGC shortly. I've already contacted all but Bosma. ... I'll also get him a few times; Son in Law and Daughter (who have much to learn as Padawan students) ... live in H88.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012

Any idea when the amended text will appear on the website?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just posted this on FB for IMAGC: ... If you're there (on FB) give us a like and share info ... (if you are not on FB then please ignore that part - we're also on Twitter ... ).

I also just called Dermody and sent an e-mail ... sample letter is included

FB Link: http://www.facebook.com/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/919778084780754

2016 Jan 14 - #INLegis #ConstitutionalCarry #EndGunFreeZones – CALL NOW – TIME IS SHORT

URGENT ACTION: Please Call and E-mail Representative Tom Dermody and urge him to grant a hearing to HB 1056 (“Handgun License Repeal and Reciprocity Licenses”) and HB 1055 (“Possession of Firearms on State Property”). His contact info is: e-mail: H20@iga.in.gov Phone: 317-232-9850 or 800-382-9841. After you do this, send the message to Speaker Bosma, as he is the next most influential person towards getting a hearing. His info is: e=-mail: H88@iga.in.gov Phone: 317-232-9677 or 800-382-9841. (Sample e-mail below)

Other than these two legislators – it is also important to let your own representatives and senators know your position, and urge their support. It can also be helpful to present this information to the committee, in this case – the members of the House Public Policy Committee are listed here: https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2016/committees/public_policy_1600

With Indiana’s Part Time Legislative Session, time is very limited to get bills through committee’s and passed by the full legislature. Agenda’s for committee hearings are set by the Chairman of the committee; though he may be swayed by others, most significantly by the Speaker. The Public Policy committee has met and HB1085, a pro-rights proposal to support, was heard, but has not yet been passed forward. PLEASE, be polite and factual in your support and statements; but be firm that these are urgent matters. You may wish to note that these issues were overlooked last session.

I myself have called and e-mailed (a very basic sample e-mail included below). During that call, Mr. Dermody’s office seemed to indicate that some Pro-2A / Pro-Article 1, Section 32 legislation would get to be heard. There is no guarantee at this time, and there are only a couple of weeks left in the session for this to happen.

Thanks!!! Then like our post, tag and share with your friends; and comment “Called / Sent” as you take action!!! …PLEASE help spread the word!

BB3

Sample Letter

Dear Representative Dermody (or Speaker Bosma, or Rep. ____, as appropriate):

I am writing to urge your support for the proposed HB 1056 (“Handgun License Repeal”) and HB 1055 (“Firearms on State Property”). I would like to see these items granted a hearing, and gain approval in the House Public Policy Committee this session. These are both positive items that support the rights and safety of responsible law-abiding citizens.

I appreciate your support of pro-firearms / pro-rights legislation and initiatives in the past, and look for your leadership in passing these important bills through the Indiana General Assembly this session. HB-1056 corrects a critical discrepancy between the State Constitution and the Indiana Code. It restores the right to “bear” (carry) arms to all legal citizens, without extra governmental infringement; while at the same time, it protects the right of Hoosiers travelling outside of Indiana. HB-1055 removes (some) dangerous and so called “gun free zones” which are little more than “easy target zones” for dangerous criminals. In particular, this bill protects the rights of consenting adults at State Universities and on other state property from “anti-rights” policies and rules.

With your assistance, we can get these items passed through the committee and the General Assembly. Thank you for your service to Indiana.

Sincerely,
    Your Name
    A concerned citizen

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm a cynic, I guess. If they'd been scheduled for a hearing already, I'd probably think differently.

There is a small bit of time - and the House doesn't post schedule way out; particularly Dermody / PP committee:

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House (House Rule 147.2)
    Noon Thursday, February 4, 2016 Last day for Senate to receive House bills (Senate Rule 79(c), subject to Senate Rule 88(b))
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in Senate (Senate Rule 79(a), subject to Senate Rule 88(b))

Which If I'm reading this right ... means we have 2 or just over 2 weeks;
    That means possibly / probably - 2 meetings of the committee.

... share the word ... its better if we have more variety of support than just more vocal support.

ETA - Dermody's aid, when I called today, indicated more Firearms bills would likely get to committee; that was NOT the case last year.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is a small bit of time - and the House doesn't post schedule way out; particularly Dermody / PP committee:

Which If I'm reading this right ... means we have 2 or just over 2 weeks;
    That means possibly / probably - 2 meetings of the committee.

... share the word ... its better if we have more variety of support than just more vocal support.

ETA - Dermody's aid, when I called today, indicated more Firearms bills would likely get to committee; that was NOT the case last year.

That's good to know. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom