• ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Google says...

First on the list is the Indiana subsidiary of the NRA which does so much that I hadn't even heard of it.

ISRPA

Second on the list is *drumroll* INGO!

Nothing else, other than a link to NRA-ILA even qualifies as an 'organization'.

Please forget I mentioned ISRPA. I just went over their website now that I was not in a hurry, and covering from adjournment in 2015 through the 2016 election, no mention of Constitutional Carry whatsoever. Typical NRA.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Please forget I mentioned ISRPA. I just went over their website now that I was not in a hurry, and covering from adjournment in 2015 through the 2016 election, no mention of Constitutional Carry whatsoever. Typical NRA.

It is my understanding that their priorities are still locked in to circa 1960s-ish issues, such as numbers of tournaments and by what names they should be called. I'm told that they devote little to no time to politics.

They wonder why they have so few members. ISRPA folks, here's a clue: Gun rights for all need to be promoted and the ability to exercise those rights needs to be universal.

This is, unfortunately, a chicken vs. egg problem, in that the organizations can't effectively fight for us without funding, but they can't earn our loyalty and our money without a fulfilled promise to do some good with it. I'd like to see them start with the promise. I might even be willing to help fund it's fulfillment. I can promise that they'll not get a dime from me without some real effort.

Oh, and if any of them are listening, I said "real effort", and that does not mean looking for a way to make me think you're doing something when the backroom deal is already made to let something good die in committee because someone thinks it's "fringe"... and I'm not talking about the gold stuff around Old Glory. I mean that if you're going to take my money and tell me you're going to put it towards fighting to improve my ability to legally exercise my God-given rights, you da*n well better come back from that fight looking like Rocky at the end of pretty much any of those movies.

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...l-association/320650-isrpa-forms-new-pac.html

Their PAC, touted by Kirky, seems to do very little. But they do want your checks.

I saw that mentioned on the website along with absolutely zero that they are doing, intend to do, want to do, or any other useful information. It seems to be Fudd all the way.

Starting with Bill's position, I would have at least a little more confidence if they would have so much as acknowledged that these bill existed while mumbling about the political non-issues they were mumbling about.

As Mr.J pointed out, not only do they want your checks, but have landed in the present out of the days of Eisenhower to the point that they offer several different options for sending money electronically.

I will have to explore the link kindly provided by cbhausen to Hoosier Carry and see what I find. Thanks for sharing this!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Supposedly this organization did... But when I talked to them at the 1500 they had already given up on the current legislative session and said they are focusing on next year's:

Welcome To Hoosier Carry » Hoosier CarryHoosier Carry | Indiana's Personal Protection Lobby

Lot of good that will do if Pence loses...

They sponsored the constitutional carry petition that BigTanker posted in December and a whole lot of us signed. I will give them credit for a valiant effort, but the fact that they are regrouping for the 2017 legislative session is not enough to persuade me to so much as **** on Pence should he catch fire. Same for the remainder of the GOP leadership. I have tolerated their backstabbing for the last time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...l-association/320650-isrpa-forms-new-pac.html

Their PAC, touted by Kirky, seems to do very little. But they do want your checks.

Yes, how insightful, how dare a member of the Board of Directors tell the membership what is going on. Truly horrific.

I appreciate the link and letting people know about our PAC. Thank you.

Nothing will happen with TD in the Public Policy chairman seat. This is where our efforts should be directed.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Despite the rather snarky reference to you, Kirk, I think mrj's reference is less to the fact that a Director is telling people what's going on and more that there is so little to tell in the political arena. I have to agree on that point, that the ISRPA would probably have more members and be able to do more good if they were to indicate that they even wanted to do so. It is my understanding that your tendency toward political activism is, amongst that group, the exception that proves the rule. I mean, when it's now almost February, halfway through the legislative session, and the last legislative update came from Bill Dowden on 11/7/15, almost THREE MONTHS ago, before the first rattlings were even heard in the State House for the current session... it doesn't bode well.

Perhaps posts along these lines would be of greater benefit not remaining only here on INGO, but perhaps shown to the other Directors at a future BOD meeting... maybe print a few copies of them in large font and explain that that newfangled contraption (the "internet") allows 39,000 registered members and untold numbers of firearms-interested non-members to see these general opinions of the group they head.

Just my thoughts.

Blessings,
    Bill

Yes, how insightful, how dare a member of the Board of Directors tell the membership what is going on. Truly horrific.

Nothing will happen with TD in the Public Policy chairman seat. This is where our efforts should be directed.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Seriously, what does the PAC do other than collect donations? That was the only function I could identify.

Any ideas on getting rid of Dermody? What are the chances of his tenure of office ending? I heard mention that he intends to retire at the end of this term, but I haven't seen the official press release.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Despite the rather snarky reference to you, Kirk, I think mrj's reference is less to the fact that a Director is telling people what's going on and more that there is so little to tell in the political arena. I have to agree on that point, that the ISRPA would probably have more members and be able to do more good if they were to indicate that they even wanted to do so. It is my understanding that your tendency toward political activism is, amongst that group, the exception that proves the rule. I mean, when it's now almost February, halfway through the legislative session, and the last legislative update came from Bill Dowden on 11/7/15, almost THREE MONTHS ago, before the first rattlings were even heard in the State House for the current session... it doesn't bode well.

Perhaps posts along these lines would be of greater benefit not remaining only here on INGO, but perhaps shown to the other Directors at a future BOD meeting... maybe print a few copies of them in large font and explain that that newfangled contraption (the "internet") allows 39,000 registered members and untold numbers of firearms-interested non-members to see these general opinions of the group they head.

Just my thoughts.

Blessings,
    Bill

I would like to second Bill's comments here. I would like to hear things like what actions the PAC has been involved in recently and what sorts of issues it sees as ripe for change and where it sees possible pitfalls on the horizon.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I mean, when it's now almost February, halfway through the legislative session, and the last legislative update came from Bill Dowden on 11/7/15, almost THREE MONTHS ago, before the first rattlings were even heard in the State House for the current session... it doesn't bode well.

You must be misreading something. How could one have a legislative update before the General Assembly began?

Bill Dowden sent out an update in early January as to bills of interest which I shared with INGO the same day.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Raising money. It is what a PAC is supposed to do.

And do what with it?

Don't get me wrong. I want a strong organization in this state that will vigorously and when appropriate, proactively fight for gun rights of all Hoosiers. But I am at a loss to see what work they've done so far. Is this because they've not raised sufficient funding?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    To what end?

Has not been discussed by the board. Likely to be discussed April.

I know some think that raising money is dirty or at least something that is not discussed around women or children. Money is the ammunition of politics. We don't want to fight with empty guns.

I have no such hesitations talking about money for political causes. I can go into the history of PACs if you want, but the purpose, the only purpose of a PAC is to raise money: https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacfaq.php

A PAC uses this money to advance its interest and defeat its opponents.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do I need to explain what a PAC is? Is this something that the Media or INGO uplifters or talk radio has turned into a boogeyman?

The purpose of a PAC is to raise money to advance political goals. It is not that complicated.

Come on Kirk. I'll not dance this dance. They've had a PAC for awhile now. I'm assuming they've been busy raising money. What are they doing or what have they done? And what are their plans? I'd love to support them but so far, I got nothing to support.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'm assuming they've been busy raising money.

Be careful with that assuming. You know what happens.:D

What are they doing or what have they done?

Raising money.

And what are their plans?

Our precatory plan is to advance the political interests of our members. How to most effectively do this shall be discussed in April at the BoD meeting in Greenwood.

I'd love to support them but so far

I hear you and it is a valid concern.

Top Bottom