• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dave, as much as I hate the situation, this is just what happens, even in a "Republic", when you're in the fringe. We just are. Hell, Indiana can't even get Sunday booze past Bosma. And the sentiment favoring that isn't even in the fringe!

But for guns, it is. People don't think people should be toting guns without permission from the government. I think the obvious thing would be to persuade more people of the folly of believing that gun control makes people safer. Maybe this group can help do that. Then the rest would take care of itself.

This has become engrained into our psyche...just like background checks, no guns in schools, and fully automatic weapons should not be accessible to mere mortals. There's a reason why Trump is leading the polls and I suggest these sorts of things are related.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This has become engrained into our psyche...just like background checks, no guns in schools, and fully automatic weapons should not be accessible to mere mortals. There's a reason why Trump is leading the polls and I suggest these sorts of things are related.

I completely agree. We're not going to make any headway by thwarting elected officials. We have to change people's opinions. I think it's more productive for 2A advocacy groups to, of course fight against more restrictive gun laws and to loosen gun control when possible, but mostly to work at combating the straw-men against gun owners, and gun ownership. We have a better, more logical, more fact based argument. But all people see are the President's crocodile tears and all they hear are emotional arguments. That's what we need to fight.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Every Sky Marshal knows not to jump onto Klenathu first.

If we can't get rid of them, and likely none of us, even the highly-touted PAC will have the money to compete with the kind of money to which they are accustomed (assuming that the PAC even has the will to do anything this side of maintaining the status quo), it would seem that we are running out of options that are not felonies. Maybe 4 years of Captain Mustache would get their attention?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Where would INGO see the money raised by a PAC best spent? Lobbyist? Backing a candidate? Advertising to sway public opinion? My guess is we can not agree on that. And that is why a lot of good ideas get lost. Until Gunowners can all get on the same page things will not change. Be it CC, removing the NFA, or high powered rifles for hunting.

what about running for Office ourselves? Who is willing to have their entire life put under a microscope and ripped apart for someone else's political gain? Then, where would you stand on other issues? One issue candidates don't seem to go very far. Would they have the political prowess to play the game and stay true to their cause? How bad would we persecute them for compromising on one issue to further another?

we have a huge gap in our culture, one IMHO, caused long ago, by not raising men. By taking God out of schools. By not teaching values and morals to our children. Until we raise a generation that understands these things we are doomed to keep living in Groundhog Day times.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    How about donating money to the candidate that has been out in front of this issue since he took office, Rep. Lucas.
    He has proven his dedication and he has a primary opponent that can be guaranteed to not share his 2nd Amendment views, much less be as big a leader on this issue.
    Rep. Dermody has said he is not coming back, which means the Public Policy Committee will need a new Chair.
    Rep. Lucas sits on that Committee.
    If you want to help, start where your money is going to help more than anything else and that is to donate to someone that is in the middle of it and needs help not just to stay in the fight, but angle for a leadership position.
    Friends of Jim Lucas
    P.O. Box 1149
    Seymour, IN 47274
    ive already donated to Jim. He is a true patriot.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Highly unscientific, but believe me when I say this... When I stand on an overpass with a Gadsden flag and a flag with av AR-15 with the words "COME AND TAKE IT", the response is about 90% positive (honks and waves), 9% ignore us, and maybe 1% opposed (usually manifested by upturned middle digits). Not only are these rallies a lot of fun, they fuel hope and optimism for our cause. We need to pull some of that 90% in, and add their voices to ours. We can do this but it's hard work.

Someone should study the path to Constitutional carry and reduced GFZs in other states and see what we can glean from their successes. Maybe this information is out there already, I don't know. But a roadmap could be helpful.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Highly unscientific, but believe me when I say this... When I stand on an overpass with a Gadsden flag and a flag with av AR-15 with the words "COME AND TAKE IT", the response is about 90% positive (honks and waves), 9% ignore us, and maybe 1% opposed (usually manifested by upturned middle digits). Not only are these rallies a lot of fun, they fuel hope and optimism for our cause. We need to pull some of that 90% in, and add their voices to ours. We can do this but it's hard work.

Someone should study the path to Constitutional carry and reduced GFZs in other states and see what we can glean from their successes. Maybe this information is out there already, I don't know. But a roadmap could be helpful.

How do they vote? Do we have 90% support in Indiana for constitutional carry? There are a lot of people who think they support the 2A who want universal background checks and don't think registration is problematic. But they'll honk at your flags.

I agree with you about looking at others' success. Especially the political hurdles and how they got over them. Might not all translate to Hoosier politics, but I'm sure it'd be helpful.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    How do they vote? Do we have 90% support in Indiana for constitutional carry? There are a lot of people who think they support the 2A who want universal background checks and don't think registration is problematic. But they'll honk at your flags.

I agree with you about looking at others' success. Especially the political hurdles and how they got over them. Might not all translate to Hoosier politics, but I'm sure it'd be helpful.

So true, this topic came up at a local gun club, several were against it, matter of fact these are the same people that said there is no place for carrying while in the gun club. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Well maybe that is too harsh, everyone has a different view of the 2nd Amend and how it applies. For some long as they get to put one shell at a time and pull the trigger they are all for the 2nd.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So true, this topic came up at a local gun club, several were against it, matter of fact these are the same people that said there is no place for carrying while in the gun club. Sometimes we are our worst enemy. Well maybe that is too harsh, everyone has a different view of the 2nd Amend and how it applies. For some long as they get to put one shell at a time and pull the trigger they are all for the 2nd.

Exactly the problem. The only definitive solutions are to either accept the 2A as meaning exactly what it says, particularly that 'shall not be infringed' part, or to repeal it. Most people, from Brady all the way right, with a significant stopover with the Fudds, have a tendency to support what they think it should mean. Schumer thinks it should mean that the National Guard has the right to arms. The Fudds think it should mean that they have what they are entitled to so long as they can have something, anything, that goes 'bang'. The prevailing self-centered attitude resting on the notion of not objecting to infringements on anyone else's rights so long as "I get mine" is the foundation upon which much of the decay rests.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

They're another party of the "I've got mine" argument.

Exactly the problem. The only definitive solutions are to either accept the 2A as meaning exactly what it says, particularly that 'shall not be infringed' part, or to repeal it. Most people, from Brady all the way right, with a significant stopover with the Fudds, have a tendency to support what they think it should mean. Schumer thinks it should mean that the National Guard has the right to arms. The Fudds think it should mean that they have what they are entitled to so long as they can have something, anything, that goes 'bang'. The prevailing self-centered attitude resting on the notion of not objecting to infringements on anyone else's rights so long as "I get mine" is the foundation upon which much of the decay rests.

That's why we have laws and a constitution that puts limits on what those laws may do, so that who gets to do what isn't based on whims and opinions and the popularity of it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Absolutely true. THE problem is education. Presently the anti's and the news media (the same?) do our educating for us. Gun owners, legislators, etc, they all "learn" from somewhere other than positive sources.

To the average uneducated person, saying that we want to eliminate the need for licensing handgun carriers just sounds irresponsible and "fringe."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Absolutely true. THE problem is education. Presently the anti's and the news media (the same?) do our educating for us. Gun owners, legislators, etc, they all "learn" from somewhere other than positive sources.

To the average uneducated person, saying that we want to eliminate the need for licensing handgun carriers just sounds irresponsible and "fringe."

This is exactly the problem I was referring to upthread. We need a public way to challenge wrong narratives. Leaving that job to Rush Limbaugh and Fox News only results in more Fudds.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Has anyone any idea how many lifetime carry permits have been issued in Indiana? How much money? I am just curious.

If the source of your curiosity is the money the state agencies would lose in fees, this bill wouldn't eliminate that completely since it has the provision of acquiring a license for reciprocity with other states. I wonder how many people would still get the license for that reason. I would because I work in another state. But I imagine most people would skip the license. I'd probably skip it if both IN and KY went constitutional carry.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is exactly the problem I was referring to upthread. We need a public way to challenge wrong narratives. Leaving that job to Rush Limbaugh and Fox News only results in more Fudds.

Recapturing the pop culture will be the cure for many things. I don't know how that gets done but I'm convinced that's the what needs to be done.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Recapturing the pop culture will be the cure for many things. I don't know how that gets done but I'm convinced that's the what needs to be done.

I don't think that it can be done. Human nature leaves us with a race for the lowest common denominator such that even if we 'win' we still defeat the purpose.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has anyone any idea how many lifetime carry permits have been issued in Indiana? How much money? I am just curious.

If the source of your curiosity is the money the state agencies would lose in fees, this bill wouldn't eliminate that completely since it has the provision of acquiring a license for reciprocity with other states. I wonder how many people would still get the license for that reason. I would because I work in another state. But I imagine most people would skip the license. I'd probably skip it if both IN and KY went constitutional carry.

I don't believe this to be a revenue issue. I think this is a combination of "I got mine" apathy and the fudd's "convention thinking" of these are reasonable measures to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom