• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you're not southern, then you probably shouldn't be flying the flag. It's unsettling to see a guy from Michigan with the Stars and Bars, when knowing full well, in the south he'll always be a Yankee.
    To be completely fair Indiana had a large number of copperheads in their population during the war. Even today there are large numbers of Southerners who've migrated here for one reason or another.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It's funny that you compare the flag of an actual nation to the defeated banner of a group of traitors who tried to tear this nation apart so that they could continue to own other human beings. But at least the Mexicans have an excuse.....Cinco De Mayo IS an actual holiday that is celebrated in Mexico. What are these pretend rebels celebrating? Lee's surrender?

The revisionists on this board trying to say that the Civil War was not about slavery remind me of the holocaust denying president of Iran. The fact that any one of these yahoos would fly a rebel flag in INDIANA speaks volumes about their mentality.

:twocents:

My point in the comparison is simply (in my perception) people do it for the "in your face" statement. How popular would we be if a bunch of us went to Mexico City on July 4th, draped the stars and stripes on our cars and drove around honking our horns?

One house in my area displays Old Glory with the Stars and Bars under it. Who can guess what message they are trying to get out?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    To be completely fair Indiana had a large number of copperheads in their population during the war. Even today there are large numbers of Southerners who've migrated here for one reason or another.

Decades ago I asked what a "Hoosier" means?.....A hillbilly from Kentucky who only made it half way to Michigan was what I was always told......:welcome:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm a direct descendant of Robert E. Lee, but reside in Indiana. I wonder if you could review my case and issue a permission slip for me to own a piece of my heritage.

Oh please sir, it would mean sooo much to me.

Tone aside, and noting the definition of "probably," your application would be granted. You said the magic word of "heritage." Recognize that you are in a very small minority. There aren't very many (born and raised Notherners that fly the flag), that can say such. Your typical Southerner who flies the flag, does so, for as you said heritage. You're typical northerner does it to be inflammatory.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I had heard of the Copperheads before, but I didn't know they were based in the Midwest. From what I understood they were typically immigrants (Irish notably), that were strongly racist, and concerned about blacks being free and competi ng with them for employment. Not that they believed in the concept of states rights.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The civil war was fought to rid America of vampires in the southern states - the whole slavery thing was just a cover up.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a documentary that reveals this commonly unknown truth.

AbeLincoln_iTunes.200x200-75.jpg

MV5BNjY2Mzc0MDA4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg5OTcxNw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    i see both sides but still believe its not right to fly it. but who cares what i think.A more serious talk needs to be had over what i found in my research i did about what all you said. This will make me look 2faced but im on the other side on this one. Did you know they are taking the flag off the top of the general lee on the next duke of hazard movie. What the hell why even have the car in there in the first place.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    i see both sides but still believe its not right to fly it. but who cares what i think.A more serious talk needs to be had over what i found in my research i did about what all you said. This will make me look 2faced but im on the other side on this one. Did you know they are taking the flag off the top of the general lee on the next duke of hazard movie. What the hell why even have the car in there in the first place.

I hope this is not true. The first one was absolutely terrible.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Tone aside, and noting the definition of "probably," your application would be granted. You said the magic word of "heritage." Recognize that you are in a very small minority. There aren't very many (born and raised Notherners that fly the flag), that can say such. Your typical Southerner who flies the flag, does so, for as you said heritage. You're typical northerner does it to be inflammatory.

Your daily dose of irony ladies and gentlemen:

Local knucklehead paints with broad brush to defend against prejudice.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Dying to support something that is wrong, Have a good day buring !

Just remember, the guy that said all men are created equal owned slaves and didn't believe women should vote.

Hindsight is 20/20. What's painfully obvious to us about "right and wrong" now was much less clear 150 years ago.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The "south" lost the war fair and square, surrendered to the victorious "north", and their sorry flag , their currency, and all other symbols of their ill advised assult on their country (USA) should have been done away with. They tried to split this great nation apart and failed. The conflict ended over a 140 yrs. ago, the south LOST so....get over it already and stop continually opening old wounds by displaying the "stars and bars".

As for the first part, Lincoln was a tyrant. He suspended habeus corpus, jailed over 3000 dissenters, deported an elected congressman and committed many other abuses of power.

I read 600 to 650 thousand but whats another 100 thousand. What does it matter if they died from disease or injury? The disease was still a direct result of war.

Fear is no reason to go to war with your own people. No one knows what would have happened if Lincoln had not decided to go to war with the south. We do know what happened in other countries. Slavery was abolished without war. Though, it was not until half way through the war that Lincoln freed the southern slaves.

What makes you think I would approve of Jackson's actions against South Carolina if that is what you are referring to? I dont even approve of Washington's use of troops during the whiskey rebellion. Presidents do not get a free pass just because they are president. Even our founding father's were far from perfect.

I am not some sort of southern sympathizer. I grew up in Indiana. I can, however, read the constitution and know the limits of the federal government. Though, I do not understand why people defend Lincoln as if he is some sort of saint. None of our presidents were saints. That is exactly why there is a constitution limiting the powers of president.

The Suthruns launched the war out of fear of Lincoln's presidency though Lincoln had vowed to leave slavery alone. The "State's Rights" that was being defended was the right to decide who was property and who was a citizen. Defending that, even arguing in its defense is crazy.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    What most people call the Confederate Flag was in fact not the Confederate flag. It was the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

Its actually ironic but if I fly the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virgina on MLK drive I'm a racist and bigot and what not. But If I fly the true flag of the Confederacy ("The Stars and Bars") they are none the wiser and I'm not a racist or bigot.

Slavery was a means to an end for the Union, what better way to polarize a population to support a war than to fabricate or exploit a reason and drive the people to war

Slavery was just a red herring.

Amazing. Someone who actually knows what the Hell he's talking about.

I have always had a great empathy for the Confederate States of America, as did the majority of my ancestors who were around at that time. Being only one generation removed from Virginia and Kentucky (and, yes, being former slave owners), they were very ambivalent over which side to support and, consequently, most of them fought for neither.

Unfortunately, though, the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia has, in this day, come to be seen as nothing more than a symbol of racism ("the white boys' X").

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I used to be neutral on the whole confederate flag issue until I visited Andersonville, GA.

Of the approximately 45,000 union prisoners held at the Prison at Andersonville during the war, 12,913 died due to starvation, malnutrition, diarrhea, disease, abuse and blunt weapon executions from guards. Turned me off, on the whole "Southern Pride" idea.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I'm a born "Northerner" and when I see the Stars and Bars all I think of is states rights. the South may have been wrong on the issue but the individual states were intended by the founders to be independent and a grand experiment in governance.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I had heard of the Copperheads before, but I didn't know they were based in the Midwest. From what I understood they were typically immigrants (Irish notably), that were strongly racist, and concerned about blacks being free and competi ng with them for employment. Not that they believed in the concept of states rights.

Southern Indiana was originally settled by Virginiana and was a Copperhead hotbed.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    The Suthruns launched the war out of fear of Lincoln's presidency though Lincoln had vowed to leave slavery alone. The "State's Rights" that was being defended was the right to decide who was property and who was a citizen. Defending that, even arguing in its defense is crazy.

Because clearly it was all them suthruns fault. amiright?

I made no attempt to justify slavery. The civil war wasnt waged to free the slaves. It was waged to keep the southern states in the union. The emancipation proclamation established slavery in the border states. I am just going to overlook that fact to maintain Lincoln's holy aura?

Look at the atrocities committed by the northern army. They rapped women, burnt courthouses, killed civilians all in the name of some just holy crusade against slavery? Please.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    By all means, fly the Confederate Flag. It is a simple indication to the rest of society as to who to avoid. It is easily associated with uneducated, white trash.

Top Bottom