• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Excellent discussion though for the most part. I always welcome thoughtful discourse from men (and women) whom have done their diligence and learned about this war that has ultimately destroyed freedom and liberty rather than just spewing the dribble taught at our "institutions of public instruction" (they actually call schools that now, kind of sounds like "re-education camps").

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This never goes anywhere. There are freemen and there are indoctrinated men. We will always disagree and we will never find common ground. Each of us needs to do our own homework and decide for himself what he believes. There was not even a common belief during the war as to why it was being fought. Each man on both sides had his own reason for fighting and brother was pitted against brother, LITERALLY, because of their differences of opinion as to why they fought. Those differences still exist today and will tomorrow as well. One thing for certain, the issues are still nearly as polarizing today as they were over 150 years ago.

We even disagree on who are the indoctrinated.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    This never goes anywhere. There are freemen and there are indoctrinated men. We will always disagree and we will never find common ground. Each of us needs to do our own homework and decide for himself what he believes. There was not even a common belief during the war as to why it was being fought. Each man on both sides had his own reason for fighting and brother was pitted against brother, LITERALLY, because of their differences of opinion as to why they fought. Those differences still exist today and will tomorrow as well. One thing for certain, the issues are still nearly as polarizing today as they were over 150 years ago.

You are absolutely right. I am a free man, and I choose to not care what happened back then because it does not matter anymore. It does not matter if that is when the giant crushing foot of the government started crushing our necks(much like Frank) then or 25 years before or after.

What matters is what we do today, so you folks keep on arguing about the past, I enjoy it and usually pick up a tidbit or two :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That was truly an ignorant and inflammatory statement seeking nothing less than argument as I made no statement as to which was which. Typical though.

It seemed implied or why state it. But please forgive me if I inferred a meaning you didn't intend.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    To me, flying the Confederate flag would be like flying a British flag.

Both parties lost - vae victus.

Fly what you like on your personal property - but the Confederate flag is and always has been a statement of direct conflict with the US flag I cherish.

I can fly my flag anywhere in the US proudly. I suggest anyone who wishes to fly the Confederate flag start in my hometown of Gary, IN - and see how proudly you escape.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

I believe that reason the issues are polarizing is that, at the heart of it all, is the question of who has the right to determine personal destiny: the government or the individual. Up one notch from that is the question of whether the state can better serve its citizens or the federal government. It is the same issue we face today and will always face in this country--so long as it remains at least somewhat free that is.
    I believe it is an inherent friction in our system of government where we have sovereign states under an umbrella of a federal hierarchy. They will always butt heads about who has the right to ultimate control. We have a constitution that indicates what the division of power is but the federal government has never been too keen on following that and states have often given up a share of their freedom for federal aid.
    It's been a constant tug of war and always will be. And that's not a bad thing.

edit: It is not a bad thing because it helps keep the power of both state and federal government in check. Thought I'd better clear that up before someone misinterprets what I meant. And for the record, I am a strong state's rights person. I believe the state is closer to the individual and thus can better serve him. Ultimately though, I wouldn't be too troubled of both fed and state had a great deal less power over the individual.

(You know, I wonder sometimes that if our Yankee ancestors could see what's happened to this country today, would they lay down their arms, go home, and let the Confederacy go it's own way?:dunno:)

Last edited:

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Decades ago I asked what a "Hoosier" means?.....A hillbilly from Kentucky who only made it half way to Michigan was what I was always told......:welcome:
    According to David Hackett Fisher in Albion's Seed: four British folkways in America, the word Hoosier comes from hoozer or hoozier in the old Cumberland dialect, which means something or someone who was unusually large and rough.

"Redneck "and "cracker" also came from England.

Also, I think the Civil War did do damage to our union as a Constitutional Republic, but the direct election of senators was more damage to it. States' interests are no longer represented, so there are no more brakes that can be applied when the federal government is getting too overbearing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom