• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Fine you guys want to ban Haldir, then I won't support the site anymore. No big deal I realize, but just the same I like Haldirs posts and if he can be banned then so can I.
    I notice a lot of people that come on here as trolls don't even bother to pony up a few bucks a year to pitch in, says a lot about them I think.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The problem is that disciplinary actions, PMs and Mod-level discussions are not public. In other words, something that might appear to the membership to have occurred "without warning," was most probably a long time in coming, and subject to much debate and discussion on the part of the Mods and Admin beforehand.

Arbitrary and capricious is not how we roll.

I figured as much, but it's good that it be said here.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Again, that statement seem to conflict with this declaration by INGO, along with the other statements made by the organization about that member:

Oh, sorry, I guess I should have said nothing.

You are right.

Next time I will not answer your question about why and will now edit out the content here.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, sorry, I guess I should have said nothing.

You are right.

Next time I will not answer your question about why and will now edit out the content here.

Content removed. Thanks for the catch Joe.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I'm obviously not a mod, so I have no idea what it's like to get 20 messages a day complaining about one member, but still...I don't understand why Haldir was banned. I may not have agreed with his personal opinion about Muslims as an entire group, but you've stated that you didn't ban him for his personal opinions. You say that you banned him because he posted 5-7 articles a day about violent Muslims. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Haldir did not personally write these stories. He didn't make them up. He found actual news and was posting it here for us to read. I would understand if he was just ranting about Muslims, but he wasn't, he was posting NEWS articles, actual events that are happening. Isn't that exactly like saying "guns kill people"? I love INGO, I may not have been a member for long, but I've been coming here for a while, reading. I don't mean to be rude, but banning Haldir isn't going to stop violent Muslims from attacking or raping people. Now we're either just hiding from the facts or aren't going to be aware of them, because members who post news will be deterred from it.

You may not have had this sort of forum in mind when it was created, but this is what it is now. This is what the forum's members are posting and talking about. What more is a forum than a group of people talking? I still say you should divide the sub forum up into two categories. Politics being one of them, 2A and 2A laws being the other.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    It sure as hell was closed before a lot of folks had their chance to give their opinion (not that it's some kind of RIGHT or anything)

I just read the entire closed thread and feel that Lars closed it because it was "getting out of hand" so to speak. But, it turns out that it is an important issue and here we are discussing it again.

Since I didn't make the other thread, here's my opinion:

Split politics away from 2A issues. Leave them both open, freewheeling, conversation zones. Whiners and the easily offended can just move on.

As for Haldir, He was a copy-paste fiend but I did read a few of his threads from time to time, as my interest was piqued, or not. When I wasn't interested, I moved on.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Again, that statement seem to conflict with this declaration by INGO, along with the other statements made by the organization about that member:

"Statements made by the organization?" As far as I can tell, the statements were made by Moderators, who happen to be individuals, and as such have differing opinions and points of view. :dunno:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I'm obviously not a mod, so I have no idea what it's like to get 20 messages a day complaining about one member, but still...I don't understand why Haldir was banned. I may not have agreed with his personal opinion about Muslims as an entire group, but you've stated that you didn't ban him for his personal opinions. You say that you banned him because he posted 5-7 articles a day about violent Muslims. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Haldir did not personally write these stories. He didn't make them up. He found actual news and was posting it here for us to read. I would understand if he was just ranting about Muslims, but he wasn't, he was posting NEWS articles, actual events that are happening. Isn't that exactly like saying "guns kill people"? I love INGO, I may not have been a member for long, but I've been coming here for a while, reading. I don't mean to be rude, but banning Haldir isn't going to stop violent Muslims from attacking or raping people. Now we're either just hiding from the facts or aren't going to be aware of them, because members who post news will be deterred from it.

You may not have had this sort of forum in mind when it was created, but this is what it is now. This is what the forum's members are posting and talking about. What more is a forum than a group of people talking? I still say you should divide the sub forum up into two categories. Politics being one of them, 2A and 2A laws being the other.

The PC police are out in force. Why not delete posts you have issues with? It is beginning to sound like this was a knee-jerk reaction and haldir was not contacted and given an opportunity to comply. Someone made the "I don't want that type of member here" decision and poof he was gone.
    So what other types of members don't we want?

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    But still, even with that biased question, 32 out of 58 voted for one of the options permitting the posting of full articles.

And 47 of 58 indicated they did not like Haldir's style of thread-making.

Copy/Paste drive-bys are for sites like Digg, Reddit, etc. INGO is a discussion forum, not a news aggregator.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The PC police are out in force. Why not delete posts you have issues with? It is beginning to sound like this was a knee-jerk reaction and haldir was not contacted and given an opportunity to comply. Someone made the "I don't want that type of member here" decision and poof he was gone.
    So what other types of members don't we want?

I know for a fact that not many want pro-lifers or Christians here. Ask me how I know. Yet I still stick around for the fun. :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I still say you should divide the sub forum up into two categories. Politics being one of them, 2A and 2A laws being the other.

Since I didn't make the other thread, here's my opinion:

Split politics away from 2A issues. Leave them both open, freewheeling, conversation zones. Whiners and the easily offended can just move on.

Guys, the thread (and poll) where we are/were discussing possible format changes to the Poli subforum is still open:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tics_laws_and_2nd_amendment_forum_please.html

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    "Statements made by the organization?" As far as I can tell, the statements were made by Moderators, who happen to be individuals, and as such have differing opinions and points of view. :dunno:

Let's be real. As a moderator you do speak on behalf of the organization. If you don't realize that, well, then what we have here is a "failure to communicate".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom