• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The Hornady ultrasonic cleaner doesn't seem to be touching the crust on the clamshells, using a 50/50 simple green/water mix.
    No. In my experience, the ultrasonic won't touch most of it w/o some toxic chemical mix. I mostly scrape and soak. Some breech plug grease when you slide it back together makes it clean easier the next time.

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    I used the Breakthrough and it's pretty good for an overnight soak. Better than the Ballistol can cleaner at least. Just remember to dump it all into a resealable container, you can get at least 4 to 5 uses out of it because it won't clean anymore.

Ultrasonics are good for softening up the deposits on the baffles but you still need to wipe it off. Unless you got one of those giant industrial high voltage ultrasonics, then those will strip off anything. I had a Lyman brand I got on Midway and they are great for brass, jewelry, glasses, and mouth guards. But I tried using Hornady gun parts solution with a BCG and it didn't take everything off. Also the Lyman Ultrasonic Cleaner can be found at Harbor Freight for cheaper as an off brand.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    If I am not mistaken, the Sparrow has SS clamshells but the monocore is aluminum.

Be careful how long you leave the monocore in an ultrasonic.
    An ultrasonic can eat through aluminum foil in minutes...it may pit the monocore if you leave it in too long.

Here is a guide on cleaning aluminum, in an ultrasonic.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If I am not mistaken, the Sparrow has SS clamshells but the monocore is aluminum.

Be careful how long you leave the monocore in an ultrasonic.
    An ultrasonic can eat through aluminum foil in minutes...it may pit the monocore if you leave it in too long.

Here is a guide on cleaning aluminum, in an ultrasonic.
    I would be tempted to put the core in my corn cob tumbler. :dunno:

Top Bottom