• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    What? Why only one bank doesn't allow guns? What?

I go into several banks a day. I have only ever seen ONE "No Guns" signs at any of them. I know that PNC allows guns, 5/3, 1st Source, TCU, and a slew of others. You told me that NO banks allow guns. Can you cite some evidence as to why you believe that?

I see concealed carry as cowardly and sneaky. I am not afraid to bare my teeth. My primary reason for carrying is defense, the other stuff is just bonuses.

I'm on the side of JFC. I don't care if someone wants to OC or CC. Just carry and be a sheepdog.

On rhe 5/3 allows guns, some might, but the one by me DEFINITELY does NOT allow guns. They have a special door. Never seen one like anywhere else. Large armored door with bullet proof glass. Visible 'No Guns' sign with a handgun slashed through. Instructions state only one person may enter at a time. You walk through the door and let it close. You can't go through the second door until the green light comes on. If the metal detector goes off both doors are locked and you are stuck. You cannot enter the second door until you prove that you aren't armed. Or you must go back out the first door and aren't allowed in. That's got to be a RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE entry system. It's made by a safe company, don't remember which one. Given the location seems like a bit of overkill to me.

The bank I use now, I CC all the time and no one knows a thing. OC ain't my thing, but I don't begrudge anyone that OC's a thing. That their option and who am I to give 'em a hard time.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    as a continuation of my above question, how does LEO know that it isn't a criminal with an open carry if he doesn't check licenses to verify everybody ?

How do we know if you're just sitting in the park enjoying the day or if you're really a child molester looking for your next victim unless LE stops and checks?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    as a continuation of my above question, how does LEO know that it isn't a criminal with an open carry if he doesn't check licenses to verify everybody ?

They should pull over every car, to make sure that:

The driver is not drunk
    The driver was not texting
    Not wearing a seatbelt
    there are no warrants
    the car is registered
    they have insurance
    the driver is licensed

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    we don't have open carry in texas...how often have you guys seen LEO check the licenses of your open c

JFC.arries ? if, concealed, they don't know to ask and, unless something confrontational arises, they won't know. does it come up often on the street?

Most LEO's are intelligent enough to understand that bad guys don't OC.

JFC on.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    They should pull over every car, to make sure that:

The driver is not drunk
    The driver was not texting
    Not wearing a seatbelt
    there are no warrants
    the car is registered
    they have insurance
    the driver is licensed

See this i where cops lose either way. If they just went around pulling EVERY car over AT RANDOM, it pisses everyone off. If they use profiling to pick the cars that are statistically more likely to need pulled over, it pisses everyone off.

If people just dont break the law, then when they do get pulled over, it will be, "Sir, I just wanted to let you know your tail light is out" Then they can ***** about that too.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Although Indiana law requires a permission slip to carry a handgun (infringing upon our right to bear arms), and although having such a licensed exception has been codified as an affirmative defense in Indiana (meaning no suspicion of a crime is required for an officer to detain and investigate), I still see no reason for an officer to actually perform a check without some other reason compelling them to do so.

Might get them on a misdemeanor that shouldn't even be a law (and isn't in many other states)... yay.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This thread has gotten back on topic. This is a problem.

I think G W Bush was a fine President...Marriage is between a man and a woman...Why do Libertarians waste their vote all of the time? Why are Atheists so anti-science yet so Evangelical about their Faith?

That ought to take care of that for you....:):

Last edited:

Sinco0214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    not-this-again.jpg

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    we don't have open carry in texas...how often have you guys seen LEO check the licenses of your open carries ? if, concealed, they don't know to ask and, unless something confrontational arises, they won't know. does it come up often on the street?

I believe that since carrying a gun is not illegal, they police can't just stop people to ask for a carry license. The same as they can't stop cars to check for drivers licenses because driving is not illegal. I'm not a cop, but I think they need a good reason to stop you, like looking suspicious or behaving strangely. I assume everyone openly carrying a gun is a law abiding citizen that behaves him/herself because criminals hide their guns.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I believe that since carrying a gun is not illegal, they police can't just stop people to ask for a carry license. The same as they can't stop cars to check for drivers licenses because driving is not illegal. I'm not a cop, but I think they need a good reason to stop you, like looking suspicious or behaving strangely. I assume everyone openly carrying a gun is a law abiding citizen that behaves him/herself because criminals hide their guns.

Actually in Indiana the mere sight of a gun is just cause for a LEO to check for the LTCH. An officer on IMPD did say that in their area they are being told not to check Open Carriers unless there is another reason for a stop. How soon all that is supposed to be started I do not remember

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Actually in Indiana the mere sight of a gun is just cause for a LEO to check for the LTCH. An officer on IMPD did say that in their area they are being told not to check Open Carriers unless there is another reason for a stop. How soon all that is supposed to be started I do not remember

That's good. I don't think stopping people because they're doing something perfectly legal is constitutional in any way. Law enforcement is to enforce laws, not to harass people who aren't visibly breaking any laws. Especially when we're talking about open carrying a gun because criminals just don't do that. That's not to say one never has, but as a rule, criminals hide their illegally possessed weapon.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

I seen a news story on YouTube where a very large strong man was robbed of his openly carried pistol. I also know someone who was showing a gun to someone to sell it and 2 young men walked up to him because they seen his gun. They pointed their gun at him and took his pistol. He wasn't open carrying it, he was trying to sell it to someone else, but those 2 young men targeted him only because they seen he had a gun and they wanted to take it. I'm not saying that open carrying gets your gun taken away every time, I'm just saying that IF someone wants to steal a gun, the guy who has a visible gun is going to be targeted over the guy that has a concealed gun.
    Two incidents?!? That's all you can come up with?

Of all the firearm thefts that have occurred in the last 12 months, how many targeted OCers?

Ok, you might have a point...but can anyone offer a reason why someone might want to openly carry a firearm?
    Guess who hasn't bothered to read the thread.

I think we need a requirement for all noobs to read ATM's Open Carry Argument post before making us all suffer through the SOS.
    But then we would be denied the entertainment of mocking them for it.

How does a LEO know that it is a criminal if does check licenses?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's good. I don't think stopping people because they're doing something perfectly legal is constitutional in any way. Law enforcement is to enforce laws, not to harass people who aren't visibly breaking any laws. Especially when we're talking about open carrying a gun because criminals just don't do that. That's not to say one never has, but as a rule, criminals hide their illegally possessed weapon.

Here is the thread in which Denny was talking about IMPD OC encounters

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/305011-impd-oc-legal-updates.html

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN

Two incidents?!? That's all you can come up with?

Of all the firearm thefts that have occurred in the last 12 months, how many targeted OCers?

I was making a point. I'm sure it's happened more than the 2 incidents I can think of off the top of my head. I wasn't saying that people can't open carry, just making the Valid Point that IF you open carry, you Can be targeted for a gun theft. If you conceal carry, you cannot be targeted that way because no one knows you have a gun. A quick search turned up 2 more of these thefts, 1 of which the OCer was killed with his own gun. I'm not saying it happens often, but I'd be interested in hearing about a concealed carrier having his gun stolen because the thief knew beforehand he had a gun on him.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was making a point. I'm sure it's happened more than the 2 incidents I can think of off the top of my head. I wasn't saying that people can't open carry, just making the Valid Point that IF you open carry, you Can be targeted for a gun theft. If you conceal carry, you cannot be targeted that way because no one knows you have a gun. A quick search turned up 2 more of these thefts, 1 of which the OCer was killed with his own gun. I'm not saying it happens often, but I'd be interested in hearing about a concealed carrier having his gun stolen because the thief knew beforehand he had a gun on him.

So, you're creating an argument favorable to CC based on a 0.00000001% difference in the targeting rate? Why?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Why do OCers always throw that "only criminals hide their guns" crap out there?? Its just trying to instigate.

GunsNstuff: You have to compare the number of people targeted for their firearm, with the number of criminals deterred by the presence of a firearm. Unfortunately, the latter, is rather hard to quantify, but Im sure its many.

Something your also not considering is, the number of CCers who were attacked because they were perceived as no threat. Once again, unless you could ask every attacker, you will never know.

This is a gut issue people. There is no wrong or right answer. JFC

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    So, you're creating an argument favorable to CC based on a 0.00000001% difference in the targeting rate? Why?

I'm not creating an argument. I'm adding to the thought pool here. I don't think we should just decide we should open carry or conceal carry and decide no new opinions or thoughts about it should be entertained. I quoted Sun Tzu's thoughts on how you should appear weak when you are strong and strong when you're weak. Then had the thought that if we could only carry 1 way, which way would benefit society the most. Kind of a thought exercise is all. The being targeted by gun thieves was a small part of a larger point. The more interesting point to me is not gun thieves, but which way benefits society more. Personally, I don't care which way people carry.

Top Bottom