• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I could legally make a hat holster to carry all of my pocket pistols in. It might look like a fishing hat but replace the lures with small pistols. I figured everyone would know not to mess with a man with a gun hat. Not because they know I'm armed, but because they'd figure that I'm insane.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    Maybe you should still carry a nonlethal. I carry pepper spray more than my gun.
    In what situations do you do this? At home, gun free zones, postal office, etc? I can see carrying a non-lethal weapon along with your lethal weapon but, if you're concerned about your safety enough to carry a firearm, why would you not carry your firearm with you more than a non lethal?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    In what situations do you do this? At home, gun free zones, postal office, etc? I can see carrying a non-lethal weapon along with your lethal weapon but, if you're concerned about your safety enough to carry a firearm, why would you not carry your firearm with you more than a non lethal?

I have pepper spray with me all of the time. I visit places I choose not to carry a firearm, but still carry the pepper spray. Thus, I carry it more. Personally I don't feel like breaking the law when I am on school property (which is often)

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I have pepper spray with me all of the time. I visit places I choose not to carry a firearm, but still carry the pepper spray. Thus, I carry it more. Personally I don't feel like breaking the law when I am on school property (which is often)
    Makes sense. That's better than standing there with your d*** in your hand if anything happened while disarmed for whatever reason.

brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    We had this very discussion today. I agree. IMO, if you're in a bank and open carrying and something goes down. You become the first target if you're carrying open. I would prefer to remain the unknown and be a surprise to the bad guy!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    We had this very discussion today.

Was it your first time discussing the subject? We've had this same discussion hundreds of times.

I agree. IMO, if you're in a bank and open carrying and something goes down. You become the first target if you're carrying open.

Commonly asserted hypothetical "fact", however, it's never supported or linked to occurrences of this actually happening.

I would prefer to remain the unknown and be a surprise to the bad guy!

I'd rather the bad guy wait until I leave or go find an easier target. I'm not out looking to "surprise" bad guys

...but to each their own. ;)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/71996-open-carry-argument.html

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Of all the videos of robberies I have seen I have yet to see the BG look at all the customers to see if anyone is OC'ing a firearm. Most of the time they wait until there is no one in the store accept the clerk. Half of the time they don't even notice the other customers. They run in and try to grab the cash as fast as possible. Why wouldn't they look for someone OC a gun. Because they are stupid that's why. They don't think situational awareness like most people that carry concealed or open do.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    And then there are the stories of where the smarter bad guys that case the place out before choose to wait when they see an OC'er. Personally, I'm not out to play cop or hero and try to surprise them either. I'd rather they leave me alone because I have a scary .45 and target the next person. But hey, if you want to play cops and robbers, go ahead.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    And then there are the stories of where the smarter bad guys that case the place out before choose to wait when they see an OC'er. Personally, I'm not out to play cop or hero and try to surprise them either. I'd rather they leave me alone because I have a scary .45 and target the next person. But hey, if you want to play cops and robbers, go ahead.

Not so much cops and robbers as secret agent superhero.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    “The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu The Art of War.

I think Sun Tzu knew what he was talking about.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    There are benefits to either way. You could say open carry helps the not so good keep from being bad. Other days it would matter if you were rolling up in an M1. I carry a big chunky 9. Lucky I am a big chunky guy...So I can conceal it. I need some advice on a good utility holster though.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I look at it this way too. If you had to pick one way of carrying for everyone that would make society a safer place, would it be all open carry or all concealed carry? IF everyone carried carried openly, the criminal would know to avoid that particular person but could see an easy target in someone who did not have a gun on them. If everyone carried concealed, the criminal would never know who could hurt them and would have to assume that anyone could. So while I think it's ok to open carry if you want to, it's the concealed carriers that make society safer by obscuring who is an easy mark and who can kill them.

Something else to consider is the criminals that run in gangs that bumrush people from behind in order to steal their gun. The only way for those criminals to pick that target is to see the victim has a gun to steal. Concealed carriers will never be targeted because the criminal doesn't know they have any gun to steal unless they have personal knowledge of the carrier.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I look at it this way too. If you had to pick one way of carrying for everyone that would make society a safer place, would it be all open carry or all concealed carry? IF everyone carried carried openly, the criminal would know to avoid that particular person but could see an easy target in someone who did not have a gun on them. If everyone carried concealed, the criminal would never know who could hurt them and would have to assume that anyone could. So while I think it's ok to open carry if you want to, it's the concealed carriers that make society safer by obscuring who is an easy mark and who can kill them.

Something else to consider is the criminals that run in gangs that bumrush people from behind in order to steal their gun. The only way for those criminals to pick that target is to see the victim has a gun to steal. Concealed carriers will never be targeted because the criminal doesn't know they have any gun to steal unless they have personal knowledge of the carrier.

I'm not sure how that logic works. Since a majority of gun owners already conceal. Yet we still have criminals.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Show us some of these stories of people who OC having their guns snatched off of their bodies.

It used to be only people with ill intentions concealed their weapons.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Really? I don't think there's ever been a time when good, law abiding people haven't had holdout weapons. Regardless if their also carrying one openly or not.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport

Technically, if EVERYONE carried, we wouldn't need these discussions, but I assume you meant all carriers to carry concealed. So I pose this logical question for you; how is this concealed carry scaretactic working out for society right now? Last I checked, there are still plenty of crimes being committed against those you claim CC helps to protect. I suggest rethinking you're logic.

Top Bottom