Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    This isn’t really that complicated.

Yes a quarterback has to be able to stand in the pocket and quickly dissect a defense and make an accurate throw. That will always be true.

But a mobile quarterback just flat out puts more stress on the defense. That’s a fact. They HAVE to account for that.

I’d rather have a quarterback that puts more stress on a defense than less stress. But that’s just my opinion. You’re more than welcome to disagree. :dunno:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    In basketball, which would you rather guard?

1) An elite shooter that can’t dribble

2) A really good shooter that is also really good at dribbling and driving

I know which one I’d rather defend….

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    And another thing, you really think Manning/Brady WOULDN’T have used their athleticism to their advantage if they had any?

Manning and Brady didn’t avoid running around because they were really smart, they avoided running around because they flat out couldn’t.

This isn’t an either/or proposition.

This is a yes/and proposition.

Yes you have to immediately dissect a defense and make an accurate throw, AND if you can move athletically then it puts way more stress on a defense.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I said in a post sometime recently here, the Manning/Brady era are over.

Football has always been a game of inches. That means the margin between the number three team and the number 29 team is not that great nor insurmountable.

The biggest inches of all come from those unscripted plays. Those unscripted plays have been tagged the second play because they have nothing to do with the first play, it was dead, but the QB still has the ball, uses mobility that even rookie PM/TB‘s didn’t possess to extend the plays, so receivers can run a second route.

Those plays are probably half of Mahomes and Jackson’s third down conversions in a game. Don’t get half of those and suddenly a winning season is a losing one. In fact if one looks at KC now, their losses are because their receiving corps is not getting those after the QB make the second play…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s fine to disagree. People are wrong all the time. It really doesn’t bother me at all. Not sure why it bothers others so much. If some people don’t have thick enough skin to have their opinions challenged then maybe the internet’s not for you.

The past 5 NFL MVP’s
    Patrick Mahomes
    Aaron Rodgers
    Aaron Rodgers
    Patrick Mahomes
    Lamar Jackson

And Lamar will probably win it again this year.

All of those guys are dominant because of the plays they make off script and outside the pocket. It’s not 2003 anymore. You have to have a quarterback that can move and move really well.
    2003? Fran Tarkington. 1970’s. That’s boomer AF. QB’s who can extend plays have always given the teams they play for an advantage.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And another thing, you really think Manning/Brady WOULDN’T have used their athleticism to their advantage if they had any?

Manning and Brady didn’t avoid running around because they were really smart, they avoided running around because they flat out couldn’t.

This isn’t an either/or proposition.

This is a yes/and proposition.

Yes you have to immediately dissect a defense and make an accurate throw, AND if you can move athletically then it puts way more stress on a defense.
    They used the abilities they had. Of course if they were gifted better athleticism they’d have been unstoppable. So imagine the total package. Gifted football brain, AND athletic talent.

My disagreement is that “pocket passer” mentality is old thinking. Mobile QB’s are more common now because sports athletics training has matured. A QB that’s also another running back is a fad that is short-lived. Those who only have their legs and no drop back game will get stopped.

Career expectancy of a RB is much shorter than a QB. Jackson, I think has learned this, because he’s spent many games on the sidelines because he got hurt. Now he’s developed into more of a pocket passer than he was as a rookie. Run when you have to. And run smart. Protect yourself. Let the RB’s do the rushing, mostly.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I don't understand how anybody can disrespect Peyton Manning and at the same time think AR is the second coming. I for one aren't buying that :poop:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If AR learns to use his legs to better himself as a QB, and develops as a drop back passer, I think he’ll be great. If he tries to do everything with his legs, I think he’ll be less successful, and will have a short career.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    If AR learns to use his legs to better himself as a QB, and develops as a drop back passer, I think he’ll be great. If he tries to do everything with his legs, I think he’ll be less successful, and will have a short career.
    That is my point as well. Being a mobile QB is great but being a running QB doesn't last long in the NFL.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    You were just covering your ass. :bash:

See this is why it’s impossible to have an intelligent conversation.

“I know you said xyz but what you REALLY meant was abc…”

Mobile quarterbacks gives teams an advantage on offense. NFL teams like having advantages. These concepts are so basic.

For the hundredth time, yes/and not either/or.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It’s fine to disagree. People are wrong all the time. It really doesn’t bother me at all. Not sure why it bothers others so much. If some people don’t have thick enough skin to have their opinions challenged then maybe the internet’s not for you.

The past 5 NFL MVP’s
    Patrick Mahomes
    Aaron Rodgers
    Aaron Rodgers
    Patrick Mahomes
    Lamar Jackson

And Lamar will probably win it again this year.

All of those guys are dominant because of the plays they make off script and outside the pocket. It’s not 2003 anymore. You have to have a quarterback that can move and move really well.
    It seems like the one that didnt like their opinion being challenged would be the one that makes a comment asking how old somebody is for merely stating a different opinion. And youre correct, people are wrong all the time, including yourself.

I dont know how showing the past 5 mvp’s is proving your point? Nobody is claiming mobile quarterbacks arent good quarterbacks. The point is, generally they dont have the longevity in the league that a good pocket QB has. Theres always an exception, but when looking at the last 30 years there has only been a couple of mobile QB’s that have careers exceeding 10 years.

Even comparing Patrick Mahomes stats this season to seasons prior, he is becoming less mobile. Why is that? Possibly because constant injuries alter his playstyle to become more conservative and take less risks. He even talks about studying Tom Brady because of his pocket abilities and wanting to become more pocket passer oriented.

My issue isnt the discussion. My issue is how someone present an oposing view and was treated like he was for doing so. To quote you… “If some people don’t have thick enough skin to have their opinions challenged then maybe the internet’s not for you.”

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    See this is why it’s impossible to have an intelligent conversation.

“I know you said xyz but what you REALLY meant was abc…”

Mobile quarterbacks gives teams an advantage on offense. NFL teams like having advantages. These concepts are so basic.

For the hundredth time, yes/and not either/or.
    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs the one you hit is the one that yelps.

You disrespected Peyton then waffled when called out. And you want an intelligent conversation?
    BS, you want everyone to agree with you or you cry. Enjoy you're cry. :tantrum:

GourdOnTheDoor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Noblesville
    It seems like the one that didnt like their opinion being challenged would be the one that makes a comment asking how old somebody is for merely stating a different opinion. And youre correct, people are wrong all the time, including yourself.

I dont know how showing the past 5 mvp’s is proving your point? Nobody is claiming mobile quarterbacks arent good quarterbacks. The point is, generally they dont have the longevity in the league that a good pocket QB has. Theres always an exception, but when looking at the last 30 years there has only been a couple of mobile QB’s that have careers exceeding 10 years.

Even comparing Patrick Mahomes stats this season to seasons prior, he is becoming less mobile. Why is that? Possibly because constant injuries alter his playstyle to become more conservative and take less risks. He even talks about studying Tom Brady because of his pocket abilities and wanting to become more pocket passer oriented.

My issue isnt the discussion. My issue is how someone present an oposing view and was treated like he was for doing so. To quote you… “If some people don’t have thick enough skin to have their opinions challenged then maybe the internet’s not for you.”
    Exactly mobile qb's just aren't franchise worthy. You get a few strong years at best before they start going downhill and struggle to preform or even stay on the field. Nothing beats a smart pocket passer for having a stable shot at winning games both during the regular season and come playoffs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom