Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I saw this on another board:
    I like to look at trades via the Jimmy Johnson draft pick trade value chart. The Bears pick has a 3000 value, the Falcons number one is 1400, their two is 450, and the middle number one picks are worth 1000 each. That is not too far off at a possbile 3850 over time that could be more but could be less…

Reactions: oze

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I don't follow the NFL games anymore, but I have to admit that all of this intrigue is interesting. As a current Blackhawks and ex-Bears fan, it's sad to look forward to Draft Day as the highlight of the season. But I have full faith that the Bears will somehow turn all of this into Mitch Trubisky.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I like to look at trades via the Jimmy Johnson draft pick trade value chart. The Bears pick has a 3000 value, the Falcons number one is 1400, their two is 450, and the middle number one picks are worth 1000 each. That is not too far off at a possbile 3850 over time that could be more but could be less…

I like to look at this chart sometimes too, but the main problem with it is that it is the same every year. It doesn't account for the different players in the draft. I think the #1 pick should be worth more when there is a clear #1 player (Manning, Luck, Borrow or Lawrence for example) and less in a year like this when there is no clear number 1 pick. I don't want to see the Colts giving up three #1s to move up three spots when the "experts" are picking 4 different QBs as the best in the class.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I like to look at this chart sometimes too, but the main problem with it is that it is the same every year. It doesn't account for the different players in the draft. I think the #1 pick should be worth more when there is a clear #1 player (Manning, Luck, Borrow or Lawrence for example) and less in a year like this when there is no clear number 1 pick. I don't want to see the Colts giving up three #1s to move up three spots when the "experts" are picking 4 different QBs as the best in the class.
    I honestly think they won't, for the very reason you cited.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The draft value chart just assigns a value to the position of the pick, not the future value of the player. It can't account for the unknown value of the player taken with the pick. Remember, many teams had Ryan Leaf rated as high or higher than Manning. Even the Colts weren't 100%

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    The draft value chart just assigns a value to the position of the pick, not the future value of the player. It can't account for the unknown value of the player taken with the pick. Remember, many teams had Ryan Leaf rated as high or higher than Manning. Even the Colts weren't 100%
    That's basically what I was trying to say. I understand that the chart can't account for unknown future value of the players and that was the limitation I was trying to point out. The picks actually have different values every year based on the players available, but there is no real way to determine that difference. I don't believe the value of the #1 pick in this year's draft is on the higher end of the scale for #1 picks. Of course, that could be proven to be wrong a few years from now.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's basically what I was trying to say. I understand that the chart can't account for unknown future value of the players and that was the limitation I was trying to point out. The picks actually have different values every year based on the players available, but there is no real way to determine that difference. I don't believe the value of the #1 pick in this year's draft is on the higher end of the scale for #1 picks. Of course, that could be proven to be wrong a few years from now.
    I can’t go there because even Manning, if he had got a career ending injury in his first year we would have never known what he became. Life is uncertai.

The chart assigns values for the purpose of trading picks both teams have the same risks their guy will be the asset they want.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom