• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Not to oversimplify things, but what the heck does the coach do all game if they aren't calling plays?

Everyone talks about how demanding the job of head coach is, but it seems like it would actually be one of the easier jobs on the team. You just make sure your coordinators have their stuff together. What else is there?

I am consistently amazed at how terrible a lot of teams are with clock management. It seems like most anyone who has ever played Madden on XBox is better at managing the clock then the average head coach.

Rick Venturi said basically the same thing on the podcast that the Colts put out. Head coach is one of the easier jobs to step into as an interim.

Coordinators and play callers have the toughest jobs.

Head coaches are like CEO’s. Manage the players. Manage the coaches. Manage the clock on game day. Be the leader. Set the vision. Hold people accountable.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not to oversimplify things, but what the heck does the coach do all game if they aren't calling plays?

Everyone talks about how demanding the job of head coach is, but it seems like it would actually be one of the easier jobs on the team. You just make sure your coordinators have their stuff together. What else is there?

I am consistently amazed at how terrible a lot of teams are with clock management. It seems like most anyone who has ever played Madden on XBox is better at managing the clock then the average head coach.
    :lmfao:

With the caveat that I have never been an NFL coach, is it possible that big fans of the game are more schooled on clock management than pro coaches? How often do the pro coaches study clock management? We big fans watch and listen to announcers point out every little detail of clock management 4-8 times per week during the season. Wonder if coaches do that much?

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    :lmfao:

With the caveat that I have never been an NFL coach, is it possible that big fans of the game are more schooled on clock management than pro coaches? How often do the pro coaches study clock management? We big fans watch and listen to announcers point out every little detail of clock management 4-8 times per week during the season. Wonder if coaches do that much?
    They should be running these same scenarios in practices, and should actually do some of the same stuff if games are out of hand, etc for the reps.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Has anything more ever come out about the firing of the offensive coordinator? Everything else about Reich aside, that was the move that convinced me he wouldn't last the season.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Has anything more ever come out about the firing of the offensive coordinator? Everything else about Reich aside, that was the move that convinced me he wouldn't last the season.

In my opinion, after the embarrassment in Jacksonville and losing to the Titans twice, Irsay has gone full power trip. I think every major decision this season has come down straight from Jim, and either you’re on board with it or you can turn in your keys.

In all fairness I guess, it’s not a democracy. He owns the team. He can do whatever he wants.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In my opinion, after the embarrassment in Jacksonville and losing to the Titans twice, Irsay has gone full power trip. I think every major decision this season has come down straight from Jim, and either you’re on board with it or you can turn in your keys.

In all fairness I guess, it’s not a democracy. He owns the team. He can do whatever he wants.

Irsay, first and foremost wants to win the division and its automatic playoff home game. To that end in the last season and a half, the Colts have lost to Tennessee FOUR times, Jacksonville two losses and one win, two wins and one tie with Houston. No division wins in four tries this season. 3-6-1 is not a playoff team.

I interpret your “power trip” as derogatory, but not sure why? I don’t want an owner like Mike Brown content to rake in the NFL money and not really care if the team wins. He allowed those he hired to do their jobs and they failed to deliver last season, he gave them another season to perform, they failed.

I like Polian, but keep in mind he wrote that article to help his friends soothe the tensions between the Colts, media, and fans.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just do not get the whole disrespect thing. Why is it interpreted this way?

Former Browns left tackle Joe Thomas shared his thoughts on the situation earlier today, on NFL Network. Thomas did not mince words.

“When I saw this, I thought it was a joke,” Thomas said. “It was the most egregious thing I can ever remember happening in the NFL, and I went 1-31 my last two years in the NFL.”

That comment came near the end of the three-minute rant. Here’s how it started.

“When you hire your drinking buddy to be the head coach of an NFL football team, it is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever seen in my entire life to the commitment, the lifestyle, and the experience that it takes to be an NFL coach — any coach — much less the head coach of the Indianapolis Football Colts,” Thomas said. “You have got to be kidding me that this is something that Jim Irsay and Jeff Saturday, who’s not blameless for accepting the job, could have talked and decided that this was the best thing for the Indianapolis Colts at this juncture of the season.”

Saturday definitely isn’t blameless. As pointed out earlier this week, the Colts twice tried to hire Saturday as an assistant coach. If he’d taken the job, it would have been much easier to sell the notion of putting him in charge.

So why didn’t Saturday pounce on the opportunity to become a position coach? Did he not want the hours and stress unless he was the head coach? Regardless, he’ll be getting all the hours and stress he can handle, and then some.

“The commitment that it takes to be a head coach is beyond what people can even comprehend, unless you’ve been in that locker room,” Thomas said, pointing to the example created by one-and-done Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski. “He saw his children one time every week. . . . If it was a home game, he would get to see his kids two times every week. . . . That’s a lifestyle. That’s who you are. That’s not something that you can just show up for. It’s not something you sign up for. This is something that changes your life when you decide to be a coach. It’s one of the reasons I don’t want to coach. Because I want to see my children. I want to have a life outside of football.

“When you’re a coach in the NFL, you do not have a life outside of football. Why do you think coaches never retire? What are they going to do? They’ve never developed any other parts of their life.”

And so, instead of entrusting the job to someone who already has made that commitment, Irsay plucked a former player from a much easier lifestyle as an ESPN analyst. It was an affront to all of the people who have put in the time, demonstrated the effort, and honed their skills through work and work and work.

“The disrespect that NFL coaches have to feel when they saw that this hire was made is higher than almost anything I can ever possibly remember in the NFL,” Thomas said. “And then to defend the decision by saying, ‘I’m happy that he doesn’t have any experience because he’s not scared.’ Like, if you didn’t already insult every person that’s worked their entire life to be a coach in the NFL then to go up there and say, ‘I like that he has no experience because all of y’all NFL coaches are scared because you use logic and analytics to make decisions’?”

Thomas is right, and not just because he’s saying things we’ve already said. (But it helps.) No self-respecting coach should agree to interview for the Colts’ head-coaching job after the season, especially since it already feels as if Irsay will find a way to justify giving the job to Saturday, even if he goes 0-8.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I just do not get the whole disrespect thing. Why is it interpreted this way?

Former Browns left tackle Joe Thomas shared his thoughts on the situation earlier today, on NFL Network. Thomas did not mince words.

“When I saw this, I thought it was a joke,” Thomas said. “It was the most egregious thing I can ever remember happening in the NFL, and I went 1-31 my last two years in the NFL.”

That comment came near the end of the three-minute rant. Here’s how it started.

“When you hire your drinking buddy to be the head coach of an NFL football team, it is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever seen in my entire life to the commitment, the lifestyle, and the experience that it takes to be an NFL coach — any coach — much less the head coach of the Indianapolis Football Colts,” Thomas said. “You have got to be kidding me that this is something that Jim Irsay and Jeff Saturday, who’s not blameless for accepting the job, could have talked and decided that this was the best thing for the Indianapolis Colts at this juncture of the season.”

Saturday definitely isn’t blameless. As pointed out earlier this week, the Colts twice tried to hire Saturday as an assistant coach. If he’d taken the job, it would have been much easier to sell the notion of putting him in charge.

So why didn’t Saturday pounce on the opportunity to become a position coach? Did he not want the hours and stress unless he was the head coach? Regardless, he’ll be getting all the hours and stress he can handle, and then some.

“The commitment that it takes to be a head coach is beyond what people can even comprehend, unless you’ve been in that locker room,” Thomas said, pointing to the example created by one-and-done Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski. “He saw his children one time every week. . . . If it was a home game, he would get to see his kids two times every week. . . . That’s a lifestyle. That’s who you are. That’s not something that you can just show up for. It’s not something you sign up for. This is something that changes your life when you decide to be a coach. It’s one of the reasons I don’t want to coach. Because I want to see my children. I want to have a life outside of football.

“When you’re a coach in the NFL, you do not have a life outside of football. Why do you think coaches never retire? What are they going to do? They’ve never developed any other parts of their life.”

And so, instead of entrusting the job to someone who already has made that commitment, Irsay plucked a former player from a much easier lifestyle as an ESPN analyst. It was an affront to all of the people who have put in the time, demonstrated the effort, and honed their skills through work and work and work.

“The disrespect that NFL coaches have to feel when they saw that this hire was made is higher than almost anything I can ever possibly remember in the NFL,” Thomas said. “And then to defend the decision by saying, ‘I’m happy that he doesn’t have any experience because he’s not scared.’ Like, if you didn’t already insult every person that’s worked their entire life to be a coach in the NFL then to go up there and say, ‘I like that he has no experience because all of y’all NFL coaches are scared because you use logic and analytics to make decisions’?”

Thomas is right, and not just because he’s saying things we’ve already said. (But it helps.) No self-respecting coach should agree to interview for the Colts’ head-coaching job after the season, especially since it already feels as if Irsay will find a way to justify giving the job to Saturday, even if he goes 0-8.

I don't get the disrespect thing either. I mean you might not like the hiring or think it's not the best move for the team, but I don't see where there is any disrespect for other coaches in the NFL. I guess it's part of this entitled society that we now live in.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't get the disrespect thing either. I mean you might not like the hiring or think it's not the best move for the team, but I don't see where there is any disrespect for other coaches in the NFL. I guess it's part of this entitled society that we now live in.
    I mean, the guy admitted that he himself was a loser so...

“It was the most egregious thing I can ever remember happening in the NFL, and I went 1-31 my last two years in the NFL.”

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Hypothetically, let’s say you go through a five year apprenticeship program, and work your tail off.

Then you work at a company and do an amazing job for 10 to 15 years. You give the company your all.

Then an awesome job promotion becomes available, but your boss gives it to his bowling buddy who has literally never done the job before in his life.

You guys are honestly telling me you wouldn’t be a little upset? Not even a little?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom