Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hypothetically, let’s say you go through a five year apprenticeship program, and work your tail off.

Then you work at a company and do an amazing job for 10 to 15 years. You give the company your all.

Then an awesome job promotion becomes available, but your boss gives it to his bowling buddy who has literally never done the job before in his life.

You guys are honestly telling me you wouldn’t be a little upset? Not even a little?
    I can understand that. It's the same as bringing in an outsider instead of promoting from within in any business really. That being said, I don't understand the animosity towards Saturday. He was well-loved when he was with the team and I always thought he was a good guy. Will that translate to being able to be a coach? :dunno:

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Hypothetically, let’s say you go through a five year apprenticeship program, and work your tail off.

Then you work at a company and do an amazing job for 10 to 15 years. You give the company your all.

Then an awesome job promotion becomes available, but your boss gives it to his bowling buddy who has literally never done the job before in his life.

You guys are honestly telling me you wouldn’t be a little upset? Not even a little?
    I see what you are saying, but with a few differences. First, people are saying it is disrespectful to all the coaches in the NFL. I don't see different teams being "the same company", but more like competing companies. UPS hiring a CEO from outside the company is definitely not disrespectful to FedEx employees. Second, I don't think most of the Colts' current staff can say they have been doing an amazing job lately. Third, Saturday may not have any coaching experience, but he does have quite a bit of experience working in the NFL as a player, player rep and consultant. Fourth, he is being hired as an interim HC. I'm not saying I would be happy with it, but things like this happen in business all the time.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Ummm that's pretty much how it often happens in the real world.
    Far too often a business owner hires or promotes someone for reasons other than their on the job experience in that position. I have been on the short end of such a scenario in the past. Sure I was pissed for like 3 days. But, I went to work and did my job because that's what adults who aren't owed anything do.

Just because a person has a career goal and climbs the career ladder, doesn't make them the best qualified. In this case, Jeff Saturday's prior related job experience as well as having been (as I'm sure I read it) a consultant for the team very well maybe just as good as someone who has spent years being a mediocre assistant coach.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My question to those whining that Irsay should have interviewed coaches and specifically black coaches for the Rooney rule is, where is this repository of coaches in general and black coaches specifically? I have no clue where, midseason, Irsay was supposed to find coaches that are not under contract.

My understanding is that teams cannot even discuss jobs with coaches under contract with another team during the season. I believe the NFL has at least a verbal agreement with the college organizations to not poach their coaches midseason.

Where are all these coaches Irsay was supposed to interview?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Tough choice picking the Colts/Raiders game. The Colts week has been well chronicled. Da wraders have been bad at times and certainly have lost a lot of games. The Colts D could shut them down. Better play calling and JT could gash them.

The latest odds are Raiders -4.5. Who would you straight up bet?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Tough choice picking the Colts/Raiders game. The Colts week has been well chronicled. Da wraders have been bad at times and certainly have lost a lot of games. The Colts D could shut them down. Better play calling and JT could gash them.

The latest odds are Raiders -4.5. Who would you straight up bet?

I’d still have to pick Raiders.

Until the Colts show that they can even remotely protect the quarterback, it’s going to be very difficult to win any games.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

Since no other team will likely allow any of their staff to interview during the season and few potential candidates would be interested in an interim position anyway, the candidate pool becomes the current staff. Given that scenario, I'd hire somebody sleeping under a bridge first.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So just who will be the next Colts head coach? Bovada has the odds on favorites. Betters must be crazy because Peyton Manning is the favorite.

I think the best bet will be Jim Harbaugh. He is tied with Mike Kafka and Kellen Moore.

Who do you Guys think?

I also see Ballard on the way out and see Saturday as the potential replacement. Could also explain why Saturday took the interim head coaching position, to see what he has…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So just who will be the next Colts head coach? Bovada has the odds on favorites. Betters must be crazy because Peyton Manning is the favorite.

I think the best bet will be Jim Harbaugh. He is tied with Mike Kafka and Kellen Moore.

Who do you Guys think?

I also see Ballard on the way out and see Saturday as the potential replacement. Could also explain why Saturday took the interim head coaching position, to see what he has…
    Ballard??? are in hittin the pipe early or 6 pints in already???? You really think Irsay will do THAT? After the season?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom