• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was thinking about this just a few days ago. Seems like in the past 6 or 8 years there has been a shift to more head coaches calling plays rather than having the OC taking the lead on play calls.
    I'm not convinced very many can do it well

Some of the big names that call plays: Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan.

Some of the big names that don’t: Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    My overall thoughts on the NFL.

A great QB can cover up an average roster.

A great roster cannot cover up for an average quarterback.

Either your roster has to be absolutely stacked from top to bottom , or you have to have an alien at QB.

Last couple Super Bowl winners

‘21: Rams - stacked roster
    ‘20: Bucs - stacked roster plus Brady
    ‘19 Chiefs - alien at QB

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Some of the big names that call plays: Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan.

Some of the big names that don’t: Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh.
    Fair assessment. My point is just not all coaches can do both and have long term success.
    Kind of like your assessment that "a great roster cannot cover up for an average quarterback", a good coach can't cover up for poor play calling... especially if he is the one making the calls.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The play calling of Reich had no chance because its foundation, the game plan, was flawed in the first place. And I cannot remember when the colts had a coach that could make halftime adjustments…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have no doubt that Reich will have a lot of success wherever he goes next, whether as a head coach or OC/Play caller.
    He certainly did not show an aptitude at being adaptive at play calling here. The proof is how predictable the calls were. It became a game with my football buds that we would predict the plays, with remarkable consistency. If we can, paid NFL coaches can too.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    He certainly did not show an aptitude at being adaptive at play calling here. The proof is how predictable the calls were. It became a game with my football buds that we would predict the plays, with remarkable consistency. If we can, paid NFL coaches can too.
    Yeah but I bet whatever his next gig is, he won't be doing both at the same time

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I am still baffled by the reaction I see concerning this mid-season situation.

“Whether it works or not, Colts owner Jim Irsay shouldn’t have hired an interim head coach with no college or pro coaching experience. It’s an insult to all current assistant coaches with every team. They’ve been been paying the dues, gaining the experience, establishing the credibility.”

Really? WTF? At this point few free agent coaches are out there. No teams are going to allow their coaches to be interviewed. Just where are all these coaches that are available?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I am still baffled by the reaction I see concerning this mid-season situation.

“Whether it works or not, Colts owner Jim Irsay shouldn’t have hired an interim head coach with no college or pro coaching experience. It’s an insult to all current assistant coaches with every team. They’ve been been paying the dues, gaining the experience, establishing the credibility.”

Really? WTF? At this point few free agent coaches are out there. No teams are going to allow their coaches to be interviewed. Just where are all these coaches that are available?

I am right there with you on that one. I have no inkling of how Saturday will work out and I think you make a great point, but I am also mystified how anyone could think they missed out on a great opportunity here because of his hiring. Why would you want to be an interim coach of a team circling the drain?

Someone like Saturday makes a great deal of sense to me, he can offer an unbiased opinion and presumably has no expectation that he is likely to be the permanent hire. I have seen way too many teams in the past promote someone into the interim position and then they end up feeling locked into the guy or they cause further division by not keeping him. This way the Colts keep all of their options open for next year.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I for one hope Jeff Saturday is able to pick up the pieces and turn some things around. He has always struck me as a solid leader and I believe he is as good of a selection as anyone under the circumstances
    I believe your point is one of two birds this stone hits, the other being that Irsay trusts him. I also believe Irsay lost trust for some reason besides wins and losses…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Here's the link to Saturday's first press conference as HC. I don't know how this will go, but I have to say that I liked a lot of what I heard. If you don't have much time skip to 7:00.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I was thinking about this just a few days ago. Seems like in the past 6 or 8 years there has been a shift to more head coaches calling plays rather than having the OC taking the lead on play calls.
    I'm not convinced very many can do it well
    Not to oversimplify things, but what the heck does the coach do all game if they aren't calling plays?

Everyone talks about how demanding the job of head coach is, but it seems like it would actually be one of the easier jobs on the team. You just make sure your coordinators have their stuff together. What else is there?

I am consistently amazed at how terrible a lot of teams are with clock management. It seems like most anyone who has ever played Madden on XBox is better at managing the clock then the average head coach.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom