Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :wallbash: Is it my imagination, or do the Colts seem to have more problems with injuries every season than most other teams? Just seems like every time we get one person healthy, two more get hurt.

Not sure about this season but over the past few completed seasons, yes. The Colts do have more problems with injuries than most NFL teams.

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure about this season but over the past few completed seasons, yes. The Colts do have more problems with injuries than most NFL teams.

https://www.sportfacts.org/nfl-injuries-by-team/

Interesting! Actually I'm surprised that the Pats fell as low (higher injuries) on the list as they did. They're about in the middle. Oddly enough though, some of the less successful teams had fewer injured reserve numbers than the more successful teams.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Interesting! Actually I'm surprised that the Pats fell as low (higher injuries) on the list as they did. They're about in the middle. Oddly enough though, some of the less successful teams had fewer injured reserve numbers than the more successful teams.
    I was surprised to see the teams in first and last place. I didn’t expect to see the Saints with the most on IR, and I didn’t expect to see the Vikings with the least. Jeez. That’s horrible. They can’t use that as an excuse.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, to be fair, Ingomike is probably right. Other teams go through it too, but I don't pay attention to other teams so it seems like it happens to "us" more than the other teams. I just wonder if it's due to a training issue in the off season. I always bring up Bob Sanders. The guy was a monster - huge biceps, etc., but he was always one of the first to go out with (usually) some kind of muscle-related injury. Maybe they should hire a Yoga instructor as one of the trainers to teach stretching and flexibility work.

Several good points in this. My thinking on Sanders always was, the muscles allowed him to perform hits his body could not absorb, or as I like to say it, his muscles wrote checks his body couldn't cash...

Tom Brady has personally changed the way QB's train, the old way was to bulk up to absorb hits, TB way is stretch and flexibility from yoga.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Several good points in this. My thinking on Sanders always was, the muscles allowed him to perform hits his body could not absorb, or as I like to say it, his muscles wrote checks his body couldn't cash...

Tom Brady has personally changed the way QB's train, the old way was to bulk up to absorb hits, TB way is stretch and flexibility from yoga.

You misspelled burgers and beer.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    PDS.....I like that.

I have hated the Pats since the ridiculous and terrible call that put them in the SB over the Raiders. It has been the norm ever since that they get the NBA favored team refs or so it seems.

CM, it seems your instincts are right on.

1. On aggregate, the Patriots have benefited from a disproportionate number of penalty rulings in recent postseasons.

2. When they’ve come, the Patriots’ penalties have been less harmful than their opponents.

3. A home-field penalty advantage seems to be disappearing across the league, but not in Foxborough.

4. The Patriots gain a similar advantage away from home.

5. The Patriots’ advantage manifests predominantly in close games.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/29/16943670/new-england-patriots-penalties-edge

We know the stats now, why?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

1. On aggregate, the Patriots have benefited from a disproportionate number of penalty rulings in recent postseasons.

2. When they’ve come, the Patriots’ penalties have been less harmful than their opponents.

3. A home-field penalty advantage seems to be disappearing across the league, but not in Foxborough.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playoffs/2018/1/29/16943670/new-england-patriots-penalties-edge

Follow the money. Big market team. Big time popularity or hated take your pick.

I think of how the NBA feeds the big high draw teams. It looks like the the NFL is doing much the same and now they are hot wired (Ref staff) directly to home office and the Vegas points spread. But I could be mistaken.....:):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I believed the league was doing that I would have to quit, like I did the NBA.

Of course, it’s preposterous to think that the NFL rigs its officiating to benefit the Patriots. The league crusaded against the Patriots’ organization and suspended its best player because of a kerfuffle over the ideal gas law. It’s not also engineering a systematic, diabolical effort to aid that very team in what would amount to the most brazen favoritism of a prestige franchise since the 2002 Western Conference finals.

Referees err; it happens. And instead of the result of a conspiracy, the Pats’ officiating luck represents a multibillion-dollar manifestation of Hanlon’s razor: Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

But then they go someplace that really resonated with me, a Colts fan.

Rather than a conspiracy being under foot, it is more likely that Bill Belichick, who both coaches and constructs New England’s roster, prizes discipline among his charges and works to limit his team’s penalty count. The Pats have been one of the least-penalized teams in the league since he arrived in Foxborough, and as Kevin Clark noted for The Ringerlast week, “Belichick associates believe secretive Patriots aid Ernie Adams helps study the tendencies of referees and figure out what officiating crews are more likely to call certain penalties. … Maybe they are just smarter than everyone else. We have plenty of evidence to suggest they usually are.”

It was always so frustrating to watch the Pats mug the heck out of Marvin and Reggie with few calls for doing it. The red text makes sense all these years later. The Patriots analysts figure out which officials have what tendencies for calls. The players are coached how to play in games to maximize the Pats advantage without crossing the threshold that draws the officials flag. The players likely are not even told why they are coached differently in different games, they just do their job. This coupled with the notorious dicipline imposed by BB, for 20 years, on the shoot your self in the foot penalties like false starts and you have a huge edge against the rest of the coaches that likely average 4 years tenure...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have noticed that the ref's are influencing the games at a much higher level then recent history. Especially close ones and not just the PATS.

And yes this is why I could give 2 craps about the NBA after watching them Rob the Pacers of a birth in the big game under Larry Bird years back. Done.
    NFL is already over regulated. Look at the call of roughing the passer put on the raiders last weekend. There are so many like this. The obvious non-calls as well. Just what I see in all of this. Even CKW (spouse) sees it. She comes from a sports family. Major involvement. Deep knowledge of the game.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I don’t believe the refs throw the game as bad as the nba ref was. I do however, think they give it a nudge in a particular direction. How many tripping calls have you seen this year? I watch every game I can, and haven’t seen it called twice in one game yet this year. Except against the pats. Same with the packers and lions game. Illegal hands to the face 3 times in one game. 2 of those were at VERY CRUCIAL points in the game, and called on a player that never once had that penalty called against him. You don’t call something like that on a 3rd down (would’ve been 4th) unless you have a clear view of the incident and know for sure it happened. They called it twice on 3rd downs. If it’s poor officiating, replace them, team owners pay millions for players to win, if a poor official is costing them that, they need to be shelved.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have noticed that the ref's are influencing the games at a much higher level then recent history. Especially close ones and not just the PATS.

And yes this is why I could give 2 craps about the NBA after watching them Rob the Pacers of a birth in the big game under Larry Bird years back. Done.
    NFL is already over regulated. Look at the call of roughing the passer put on the raiders last weekend. There are so many like this. The obvious non-calls as well. Just what I see in all of this. Even CKW (spouse) sees it. She comes from a sports family. Major involvement. Deep knowledge of the game.

Exactly. It’s football. Let em play

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

My NBA story. So I'm still pissed about the Pacers loss and not making the finals. I flipped on the TV late one night and Spurs vs Lakers is on. Tim Duncan has to sit due to fouls and a 7 foot kid is trying to cover the minutes. Shaq Bulls him over, bloodies him, and the ref calls the foul on the kid. There was a technical glitch and we did not leave for commercials as we were supposed to, the camera ran. I think it was Tony Parker all over the official, totally frustrated by the call on his guy that everyone knew was BS, the official replied, I don't even know that guy, I will never call that on Shaq.

Admitted on on camera that calls were not fair. That was it, never watched again to this day...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It’s a vast right wing conspiracy! :runaway:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I've heard that about Brady. Love him or hate him, you can't argue with success. Personally, I hate him but that's just me. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They looked unstoppable against that defense which appeared unprepared for Mike Vic #2.

Hope Jackson likes dogs in a much different way than Vick...

Jackson is rewriting the record book for QB running. This happens every time there is some new or even old style of offense put to the NFL defenses. It takes the current defensive coordinators a while to stop it, but I have every confidence someone, probably Bill Bellichick will solve this, then the copycats have the plan.

The big question is how long can Jackson keep running like that before he gets the injury that has always been inevitable for running QB's. QB's are already in the high risk injury category because they are a target expected to stay in the pocket while a rush dedicated to getting them comes. Even higher on the risk chart are mobile players RB's, receivers, DB's and the like. A mobile QB combines these risks which is why so many GM's avoid even going down that road but with the lack of great pocket passers some jump to take the ride. May I remind everyone of how hot the Redskins were a few years ago with RGIII.

Ravens play the 49er's soon...

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think Jackson’s style is a lot like Vick’s, but Jackson is a better passer. Vick seemed to be a mobile quarterback who could also pass. Jackson has it all. I might be a little biased though, he’s a local sports hero. It seemed that when he played for UofL, on offense series it was an unfair match where the only contestants were Jackson against the other team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom