• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think it's a problem when we try to coerce "respect", either through laws or public shame. Is that really respect? People are saying Kaepernick is saying things he's not saying. He's not saying that he doesn't respect the sacrifice from soldiers on behalf of the nation. He's just saying he doesn't respect a government that pretends its citizens are free when they're really not. At least, that's what he says.

As I said way up thread, my problem isn't as much that he's sitting during the national anthem. That's become more of a rote exercise anyway. I think a good chunk of the people who make the right motions during the national anthem are mostly virtue signaling themselves. My problem with Kaepernick's "stand" is that he's full of ****.

I don't believe in coercion, and I don't think anyone here does. But he is saying something by not standing, whether he knows it or not.

I have looked in the eyes of men who left part of themselves in the deserts of Iraq and the mountains of Afghanistan. I have heard countless stories of the wives who weren't there when they got back. Of the buddy who couldn't handle it anymore and jumped out of a Blackhawk over Baghdad. I have seen the missing and mangled limbs, and I have wondered how many empty and mangled hearts there were underneath the bravado. And that is warfare. No one accounts for the sacrifices of training. The time away, the degenerating discs, the worn out knees and damaged nerves. 3 weeks ago I was in a helicopter flying over southeast IN to a training facility. I looked down and could see the people grilling out after church. And I was glad they were able to do that, because others were preparing to protect that freedom. Only days before that I watched as one of my subordinates slowly lost grip with reality due to heat exhaustion. We had to medevac him. Out of training. He was lucky, though. Another soldier had to be defibrillated after his electrolytes dropped too low. And they pushed themselves to this point out of their dedication. When people looked outside and saw 6" of rain in 2 days, they didn't think that anyone would be dumb enough to be out in it. But we were, because we care enough about this country enough to go through what is required to be prepared to defend it.

And the thing that all of these wet, tired, sore, sometimes hurting people have in common; the inner city kids, the country boys, the school teachers, the full time military, the factory workers, the students, the Christians, the Muslims, the Vietnamese, the Liberians, the natural born citizens, the whites, the Asians, the blacks; is that they all wear the Stars and Stripes on their right shoulder. If you aren't totally satisfied with this country, join the club. We don't always like what's going on either. And we aren't looking for a pat on the back. Just stand with us. Stand for the flag we wear. But if you don't, and that's your right (you're welcome), don't be surprised if we infer a giant middle finger from you toward our buddies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    War does breed patriotism.

Serious question Woobie. How does one best honor the military members and the veterans and truly appreciate their personal actions even if we are starting to question more of the missions they are being sent on?

At some point, one has to be willing to say "no" to what their government is doing. I'm not saying whether or not we are at that point. I'm just saying it's something we should always be willing to consider.

Tyrants, rebels, and patriots sometimes each contain a little of the same sauce.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Disrespect the flag and you don't disrespect aspects of the government or our leaders, you disrespect every single citizen. We The People is what that flag is about. Politicians come and go, hot button topics come and go, but this collection of misfits always find a way to make it work. Kaep wants to spit on every single one of us? Probably not. But that's how we're taking it.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    War does breed patriotism.

Serious question Woobie. How does one best honor the military members and the veterans and truly appreciate their personal actions even if we are starting to question more of the missions they are being sent on?

At some point, one has to be willing to say "no" to what their government is doing. I'm not saying whether or not we are at that point. I'm just saying it's something we should always be willing to consider.

Tyrants, rebels, and patriots sometimes each contain a little of the same sauce.

To me it means exercising your rights, but not disrespecting the constitution to which we have sworn ourselves, or the flag we salute. The flag isn't a commander or a president. It isn't congress. It represents the American ideal. The knowledge that in our imperfections we strive for something more as a people. It's about Liberty and Justice for all, as an ideal, not necessarily as it exists in our society. The flag is the representation of the collective and individual sacrifices that have bought us the Liberty we enjoy.

So should you question the government? A thousand times yes. Hold them accountable to the constitution they swore to obey and we swore to defend. Fly the flag, not in passive obedience to would-be tyrants, but in defiance of them. But protesting the flag because we fail to live up to its ideals as a nation is counterproductive. It strikes at our cultural solidarity. It means we are no longer a big dysfunctional family sorting out our issues, but separate families who have nothing in common. That tears at the fabric not just of the flag, but of the republic.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    That is my approach. My family in California are big SF fans. No longer. Until this jackwagon is gone or at least stands during the Anthem, they will no longer buy tickets to the games. Not a big deal, I suppose, but at least it is something.

Personally, I don't think we should play the Anthem at professional sporting events.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Where are the calls to boycott the team/sport?

FOP's, military, Joe Sixpack?

Joe Sixpacks, fine, but I don't personally believe that organizations with memberships of persons responsible for the protections of people's rights should take actions against those expressing them.... regardless of what is being said. It sends the wrong message, IMO.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    xlb3hlz8j4qqjut1npnv.jpg

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Joe Sixpacks, fine, but I don't personally believe that organizations with memberships of persons responsible for the protections of people's rights should take actions against those expressing them.... regardless of what is being said. It sends the wrong message, IMO.

Agreed

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

:yesway:

Dana Loesch ripped CK's buttocks on her show today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom