Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's almost like he's creating an issue around his personal beliefs on purpose. One could say...prophylactically.

I think it's not gonna work. The best prophylactic against being cut is being too valuable to cut. Being too politically controversial to cut probably isn't an ultimate winning strategy when he makes it obvious he sucks on every down. Even when it's Roger Goodell's league, and it's San Francisco, it's just too easy to make the case that he was cut for sucking, not for not standing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think it's not gonna work. The best prophylactic against being cut is being too valuable to cut. Being too politically controversial to cut probably isn't an ultimate winning strategy when he makes it obvious he sucks on every down. Even when it's Roger Goodell's league, and it's San Francisco, it's just too easy to make the case that he was cut for sucking, not for not standing.

You play the hand you're dealt and not having the royal flush of "too valuable", you play the pair of 3s of "they're discriminating against me because I'm black (and a Muslim)." What this gets him? Maybe something, maybe nothing, but if he gets cut and doesn't land somewhere, it gets him the adoration of the Hollywood left (including ESPN), and that ain't nothing.

Michael Sam got a shot at the big show based upon something other than his play on the field.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and this is what you call getting out ahead of the story, a/k/a pre-spin:

14079681_1105600922822997_1422901845537235241_n.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Excellent marketing. "I wasn't good enough" is much less compelling than the martyr angle. Bonus points for "you're a bigot if you disagree" angle. It's like the Ghostbusters remake. I like the term "pre-spin".

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Excellent marketing. "I wasn't good enough" is much less compelling than the martyr angle. Bonus points for "you're a bigot if you disagree" angle. It's like the Ghostbusters remake. I like the term "pre-spin".

Pre spin???

Great just another cycle my wife will Half to Have on her next washing machine that she knows is coming soon.....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Why did Mike Sams come to mind...

My mind...or yours?

...or anyone with an ounce of reasoning ability?

The sad thing is, Kaepernick had the talent for the league...unlike Sam, but his style of play took its toll on his body. At this​ point in time there is real doubt about his continuing ability to contribute. This all makes the controversy, and the timing thereof, suspicious.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sigh. Harbaugh.

Jim Harbaugh Offers Some Muddled Thoughts On Colin Kaepernick

Offering a lame "I misspoke" is probably worse than just explaining what he meant. But either way, he's branded a racist. I agree more with his first sentiment. I think Kaepernick is virtue signaling and trying to become controversial to make it more difficult to get cut from the team. And if he is sincere, he's either delusional and misled, or is intellectually dishonest. There is no rampant epidemic of police brutality against blacks. The whole premise of his "sit down" is a sham.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sigh. Harbaugh.

Jim Harbaugh Offers Some Muddled Thoughts On Colin Kaepernick

Offering a lame "I misspoke" is probably worse than just explaining what he meant. But either way, he's branded a racist. I agree more with his first sentiment. I think Kaepernick is virtue signaling and trying to become controversial to make it more difficult to get cut from the team. And if he is sincere, he's either delusional and misled, or is intellectually dishonest. There is no rampant epidemic of police brutality against blacks. The whole premise of his "sit down" is a sham.

That's a lot of money if the Niners decide to keep him on. His huge salary isn't guaranteed so the savings for the team are tremendous if he's cut.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    What meaning does it have to pledge or stand for a flag if it's just expected of you? Isn't the point of living in a free country that you honor that country by choice, not by coercion nor even by others ridiculing you.

10 or 20 years ago I would have been disgusted by someone not standing for the anthem or pledging allegiance to the flag. Now I want to hear their story. I have full allegiance to my fellow citizens and the basic principles of freedom, even when we screw them up a little. I'm not so sure about my allegiance to the government. I'm not so sure it's "self-governance" anymore. Snowden has been labeled a traitor, and personally I think he's not the enemy. So I would want to hear a little more specifically about a person's beliefs and intentions before I make a judgment about them not standing up for the flag.

His team of course could expect him to behave a specific way while he is working for them; that's not really my concern but if I were his boss it might be.

Here is an excerpt from his statement that isn't being widely reported.

Does the election year have anything to do with timing?

CK: It wasn’t a timing thing, it wasn’t something that was planned. But I think the two presidential candidates that we currently have also represent the issues that we have in this country right now.

Do you want to expand on that?

CK: You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super predators, you have Donald Trump who’s openly racist. We have a presidential candidate who has deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me because if that was any other person you’d be in prison. So, what is this country really standing for?
    (end excerpt)

Asking what this country "really stands for" is becoming a pretty darn good question if you ask me.

Transcript here; Transcript: Colin Kaepernick addresses sitting during national anthem | Niners Wire

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I support CK exercising his 1st Amendment rights. I support others exercising their 1st Amendment rights by responding to CK with what they think of his choices. I supported Kim Davis when she exercised her 1st Amendment rights too...many that are now coming to CK's aid didn't. And both of those responses are cool. But let's not pretend one is more noble than the other.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I support CK exercising his 1st Amendment rights. I support others exercising their 1st Amendment rights by responding to CK with what they think of his choices. I supported Kim Davis when she exercised her 1st Amendment rights too...many that are now coming to CK's aid didn't. And both of those responses are cool. But let's not pretend one is more noble than the other.

CK doesn't work for a government agency. I support his employer's right to fire him (well depending on his contract obviously). If his contract includes behavior appropriate to entertainment of his fans then maybe he was risking his job. Kim Davis violated her employment by the taxpayers by not doing her job.

I did, btw, disagree with putting her in jail. I think the fine the prosecutor asked for was appropriate since the court didn't have the authority to remove her from office. I think the ethical thing to do in her position would be to resign. While I personally would have no problem issuing gay marriage licenses, there are other things the government does that I wouldn't do; I'd have to quit my job if asked to do those things.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    CK doesn't work for a government agency. I support his employer's right to fire him (well depending on his contract obviously). If his contract includes behavior appropriate to entertainment of his fans then maybe he was risking his job. Kim Davis violated her employment by the taxpayers by not doing her job.

I did, btw, disagree with putting her in jail. I think the fine the prosecutor asked for was appropriate since the court didn't have the authority to remove her from office. I think the ethical thing to do in her position would be to resign. While I personally would have no problem issuing gay marriage licenses, there are other things the government does that I wouldn't do; I'd have to quit my job if asked to do those things.

Mrs. Davis' employers also have the authority to fire her, if they believe she didn't perform her duties to their satisfaction. But let's be honest...her case was different from CK's because she stood against the current, PC, SJW agenda, CK is the face of it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mrs. Davis' employers also have the authority to fire her, if they believe she didn't perform her duties to their satisfaction.

I guess that's one of the failures of democracy then. Office holders get to discriminate by popular vote. Office holders only have to represent the people who voted them into office.

But we're getting way off track from this thread.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Let us also send a message to all the "Athletes" to 1st play the damned game to the best of your ability.
    If you seek a camera do it on your own time off the field of play. I am sure some sports venue will give you 5 minutes.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I guess that's one of the failures of democracy then. Office holders get to discriminate by popular vote. Office holders only have to represent the people who voted them into office.

But we're getting way off track from this thread.
    The other failure is when courts and judges are allowed to enact law based on pop-culture-popular-opinion and personal feelings rather than constitutional basis.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let us also send a message to all the "Athletes" to 1st play the damned game to the best of your ability.
    If you seek a camera do it on your own time off the field of play. I am sure some sports venue will give you 5 minutes.

As I've stated before, if I were running my own business (whether that be a car lot, hamburger stand, or a sports star) chances are, you'd never know what my personal beliefs are on a great many things I might voice here. If I were a sports star, I'd want to get as many suckers as possible to buy my jerseys, bobble heads, etc. and I'd be as neutral on hot button topics as possible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I've stated before, if I were running my own business (whether that be a car lot, hamburger stand, or a sports star) chances are, you'd never know what my personal beliefs are on a great many things I might voice here. If I were a sports star, I'd want to get as many suckers as possible to buy my jerseys, bobble heads, etc. and I'd be as neutral on hot button topics as possible.

Folks do not lay out major funds on parking/tickets/crappy food and warm beer to see and here this crap.
    Wrong arena. Stupid agenda. Just idiotic.
    Just because you have the right to do something that something may or may not shed some light as to your level of stupid.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom