• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How long has the national anthem been played at sporting events?

For a very long time.... but it wasn't played at every game, because some thought that it cheapened the reverence the song should have, so it played only on special occasions.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    NFL.decrease.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    +1 For NASCAR not taking part in this .

“Get you a ride on a Greyhound bus when the national anthem is over,” team owner Richard Childress responded when asked what he would do if one of his employees protested during the anthem. “I told them anyone who works for me should respect the country we live in. So many people have gave their lives for it. This is America.”
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...s-response-petty-ganassi-childress/698122001/

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The idea that one leaves their constitutional rights at the workplace door needs to go. This form of protest has absolutely nothing to do with how a player does his job. And when we a divisive current occupant who enables and encourages bigotry and hatred, we need more people to stand up (or in this case, kneel down) and be counted.
    And the attitude that an employers constitutional rights end at the employees needs to go as well! If I employ you, and you are on MY time, your "protest" has now affected my business, and you will soon be unemployed! What you do off the clock is what you do, unless it harms my business, then refer to previous unemployed comment! This isn't new, the .gov has been reprimanding employees for even attending political events for years! Again, be in the service, and show up at a "protest" in uniform (political or not), and you'll be facing punitive action.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A little checking says that the National Anthem started at sporting events with baseball games during WW1.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Question for those that watch football on TV, or sports in general:

How often do you get up off the couch at home and stand for the Anthem?

Is it required of you're not actually at the game?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    These sports figures have a job, working for an employer, providing entertainment to that business's customers. They are "On the Job" at the game, at every practice, and when ever they represent the team/franchise/owner/employer. When that Sports figure is off the job he/she can do what ever they choose, but when their working they are under the control of the employer and when they FAIL at their Job that employer has the right and responsibility to correct that failure. The Employer has the right and duty to see his product is of good quality and services the customer. The customer has the right to obtain or discard the product. When a business sees that it's product is not being produced well or is not selling, that business has the right to FIX the problem. The NFL is declining in ticket sales and media viewership because the owners are failing to exercise their business rights to demand every employee meet certain standards while at work. It DISGUSTS me to see my Flag, my National Anthem, my Nation, and all the citizens that have served it insulted I WILL NOT participate, support, finance, or waste my time viewing those individuals, their activities, or the entertainment business they are destroying.
    Very well said! You should speak up more often!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    -Kap's mom responds to her son being called a "SoB"
    "I guess that makes me a proud B****"

-Trump recinds WH invite to Stephen Curry, via tweet, Lebron James responds
    "You Bum, (Stephen) already said he ain't going."

Just more bad press the president doesn't need. It would be nice if he actually tried to run the country, rather than engage in insulting private persons and businesses.
    I missed where the President called any individual that.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    To equate the kneeling with disrespect is just plain brain-dead. It's about as respectful a way to protest as is possible - no gesturing, no turning the other way, just quietly taking a knee - it sends a message without being disrespectful. How many players have said anything suggesting that they disrespect anyone who fought and died for our country?

I'm also offended by the idea that anyone should be forced to behave in a certain way because of "freedom". This is the direct antithesis of freedom. Disagreement does not equal disrespect.

The idea that one leaves their constitutional rights at the workplace door needs to go. This form of protest has absolutely nothing to do with how a player does his job. And when we a divisive current occupant who enables and encourages bigotry and hatred, we need more people to stand up (or in this case, kneel down) and be counted.

He wants to protest, then let him get a sign. He can march on Washington.
    Or he can speak to a camera as a private citizen.
    But, saying it's not disrespectful doesn't make it so.
    If I yell curse words at people's children, but then claim I'm not being disrespectful doesn't make it so.

If he does this on company time, then he has to deal with the company's reaction.
    The company then has to deal with the publics reaction.
    Which is what's happening.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom