• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As far as the Castro shirt, are we to believe that because he was wearing it, he agreed with the Castro regime's actions? Or do you think it's ignorance, based more on him believing it to be a cool shirt, with a "resist" message, rather than adherence to the philosophy?

INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I can appreciate (and agree with) the fact that you acknowledge the freedom for the players to have a choice, as long as they accept the backlash. Now, I do strongly disagree with your notion that they are somehow unable to recognize and point out perceived injustices because they make a "King's Ransom." In 1950 Jackie Robinson became the highest paid player on the Dodgers. Do you think that because he made a mint playing a kids game that he was above the injustices of his time; and that he should not care?

I do not think Jackie Robinson's breaking through the color barrier is an apples to apples comparison. My point is that it's hard to make a stand on oppression when no country in the history of mankind has offered freedom from oppression like the United States.

Where else but America can a man be born into absolute abject poverty and make one hundred million dollars or hundreds of millions of dollars playing a game and claim oppression?

Where else but America can a man whose father was from a Kenyan village get elected twice to the most powerful office on the face of the planet?

I have a hard time with people that are talented and blessed with skill sets to take advantage of opportunity only then to claim oppression and/or cry foul over an unlevel playing field. Jackie Robinson, in my opinion, yearned for an unlevel playing field because it only made his achievements that much sweeter in the face of hatred.

The true problem lies, and this is something that has not been mentioned, in the way we have elevated athletes/sports. This is a symptom not of the NFL or professional sports but of the culture that has made athletes entitled. Go to any gym, field, court, pitch, turf or diamond and watch some young kids. Even worse, watch parents; watch the screaming, crying, cussing, yelling and temperature tantrums over missed plays, missed opportunities and losing.

Youth and team sports used to be a fantastic vehicle for building character in young athletes. Now too many use sports to inflate egos and cover up deficiencies in character.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    As a life long Steelers fan I am beyond disappointed. From another story I read one Steeler went to the end of the tunnel with his hand over his heart while the anthem played.

I am considering boxing up my jeresys and gear and mailing back to Pittsburgh with a letter expressing my dissatisfaction with the teams actions today.

Steelers stay in the locker room during national anthem as 100 NFL players protest | Fox News

Every Steeler but one. Alejandro Villanueva.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As a life long Steelers fan I am beyond disappointed. From another story I read one Steeler went to the end of the tunnel with his hand over his heart while the anthem played.

I am considering boxing up my jeresys and gear and mailing back to Pittsburgh with a letter expressing my dissatisfaction with the teams actions today.

Steelers stay in the locker room during national anthem as 100 NFL players protest | Fox News

In retrospect, I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Tomlin said he did it because he didn't want his player in that fiasco, and having to chooses sides. He said they'e there to play football, not weigh in on politics.

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    In retrospect, I don't think it's as bad as it looks. Tomlin said he did it because he didn't want his player in that fiasco, and having to chooses sides. He said they'e there to play football, not weigh in on politics.

But I feel they did choose sides. They did not stand, they hid in a tunnel.

I know this may sound goofy but my business in right next door to the Air National Guard base here in Fort Wayne. If I am outside and I hear the anthem play, I stop in my tracks and stand attention.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville

They just did weigh in on politics.
    They hace disrespected this country by not respecting the flag and the anthem. They have made this political. If they have a problem protest outside of the games.doing rhis on national tv is taking advantage of their position in sports which is paid for by the fans, not the nfl or their franchise.
    Not that it matters but i am done watching sports or buying their memoriabilia. I will be watching reruns of Get Smart instead.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    You know what's really standing up for something? Being willing to go against the grain that 60+ of your teammates and coaches have established. Think there won't be some poor treatment in the locker room towards Captain Villanueva?

Heck with 'em. He's a man among boys.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    You know what's really standing up for something? Being willing to go against the grain that 60+ of your teammates and coaches have established. Think there won't be some poor treatment in the locker room towards Captain Villanueva?

+1

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

And Kaepernick? Where does he rank in his original lone display, and the backlash that created, breaking a 98 year old tradition for a belief?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's fair. But I contend that most people that have used that image aren't really familiar with, nor support, the ideology.
    I agree. They think it's a symbol of revolution. And they have no idea about the revolution they're pining for.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom