Merrillville
    21767979_1664521426933303_536782290576078141_n.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    At a rally tonight Trump said any NFL player that doesn't stand for the Anthem should be fired.

I don't care what party you're from, calling for a private citizen to lose their job over their political beliefs is horse ****.
    Maybe there's more than one, but in the clip I saw, President Trump did NOT say anyone "should be fired".

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mike Tomlin said in his postgame press conference that he was disappointed in Alejandro Villanueva for not joining the team in the locker room.

Some free speech is more important than others, I guess.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree in theory that an employer has the right to set expectations and even dictate, to some degree, the behavior and actions of an employee while “on the clock.” But I think it’s important to point out that NFL players aren’t typical "at will" employees. They are under contract and those contracts are structured under a league-wide collective bargaining agreement that team owners approved. I have no idea if that collective bargaining agreement contains language specific to pre-game ceremonies or whether players must stand for the Anthem, but based on the current situation, I’d say it doesn’t.

I don’t like seeing players kneeling during the Anthem either. I too find it extremely disrespectful, but I understand the reasons behind the stance they are taking. I also respect the fact that the flag is a symbol of the freedom that allows them to take that stance. In the grand scheme of things, for me, this has very little impact on whether or not I will watch football games. I don't have cable TV so any games I watch come over the antenna, so whether I watch or not is irrelevant to owners. I don't support the league with my dollars now, so there's nothing for me to withhold.

I would also point out that NFL owners have tolerated and even turned a blind eye to much more harmful, and sometimes criminal behavior from players. It’s a performance based league, so owners will let good players get away with things that might get a fringe player cut. That's why Kaepernick is out of the league. Not just because of the stance he's taking, but because he's just not good enough to be worth the drama.

We should also consider that it isn’t the owners taking this stance, it’s the president, wading into a personnel matter of a private business. Which I personally think is beneath the dignity of the office. I didn't like when Obama did it, I don't like when Trump does it.

Let’s also remember that a lot of NFL owners backed Trump, thinking he’d be good for business. Now he’s just shined a big old spotlight on an issue that owners presumably would rather just go away. So I’m guessing they likely don’t think Trump’s comments on the matter are very good for business this morning.
    President Trumps comments may not be good for the NFL, but these players actions are much, much worse for business!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    First, I gotta ask how is Kap a "spoiled baby?"
    Second, the Presidency of the United States of America, is the biggest platform on the planet. When speaking as President, his opinion, is by default the opinion of the American govt. If he's speaking as a private citizen then you could make the argument that it's different.... but when Trump made his statement, he was speaking as President.
    Can he speak as anything else?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Mike Tomlin said in his postgame press conference that he was disappointed in Alejandro Villanueva for not joining the team in the locker room.

Some free speech is more important than others, I guess.

This is pretty big. Wonder how much press it gets?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Colin can do whatever he wants as a private citizen now. Fact of the matter is that while he came out pretty good his first game, as he played on, he turned out like Michael Sam and Tim Tebow. Hyped but couldn’t play in the pros. Sam didn’t even make it to start a season. Tebow did okay but never played up to expectations. Colin would be a good back up at veteran minimum or even a mill for a year but nothing beyond that. At least Tebow has a baseball thing going and his broadcast career as a possible future.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I spoke to a fella about this very issue. We just finished discussing how much money weddings cost before we changed subjects. He tried his best to explain to me that the protest is just that. It doesn't mean that they're disrespecting the flag, the military, or whatever. They are choosing this time to bring awareness to social issues and I am the one with a problem if I take offense with it. We covered about every aspect of the issue and I just listened and asked questions.

i explained that I understand his point and that I will give an honest attempt to see the value in that philosophy and maybe apply it in my own life. I went on to say that at his wedding I will stage a 2nd amendment silent protest for the removal of suppressors from the NFA registry. I will call attention to my cause by doing the chicken dance in the holy water during the exchange of vows. Like the anthem, vows are your opportunity to show the world the depth of your love...during which I will shift all attention to me with my gyrations as frankly my issues are the most important thing. It doesn't matter that you've spent a lot of money, or that everyone is there for a wedding, I want everyone to see me and what I want is what matters. Btw it doesn't mean that I don't love you or your wife, or that I won't participate in throwing rice, I just want to buy suppressors without waiting.

He laughed and asked me not to ruin his way too expensive wedding.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Haven't read or followed the whole thread but I'm wondering if any of the people protesting have done anything personally to improve the life's of the opressed that they are so worried about? I'm guessing that would be too much trouble.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Haven't read or followed the whole thread but I'm wondering if any of the people protesting have done anything personally to improve the life's of the opressed that they are so worried about? I'm guessing that would be too much trouble.

You're speaking from supposition, not knowledge. If you have something that gives strength to you position, then you should illustrate it. To go guessing about what individuals have done in relation to their beliefs, and assuming they do nothing, only inspires others to dismiss their beliefs as invalid.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The simple answer is to stop giving the nfl your money until they figure out the ball field isn't the place for protests .

If I do something that disparages my companies image I get in trouble , why not these spoiled turds ?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The simple answer is to stop giving the nfl your money until they figure out the ball field isn't the place for protests.

If I do something that disparages my companies image I get in trouble , why not these spoiled turds ?

Where is the place to protest? It seems that many want to be inoculated from seeing these protests, which when you think about it, is pretty ridiculous. You don't protest around people who already believe like you do. You stick in in somebody's face, and make them take notice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom