Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Those teetotalin', rhythmless, no fun First Baptists.... as opposed to the well-heeled,occasionally whisky drinking and dancing Southern Baptists. lol

I'll stick with Independent. Tea totalin' well I actually drink diet Coke also, as for dancing ill wait til I get to Heaven, and most of us are working class.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My church is Separate Baptist, but my theology is "show me in the Bible". Most of the time, if I'm not doing it, it falls more into the "not using your Liberty for an occasion" category.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My church is Separate Baptist, but my theology is "show me in the Bible". Most of the time, if I'm not doing it, it falls more into the "not using your Liberty for an occasion" category.

:yesway::yesway:

Barean, eh?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Baptists celebrate three.
    1. The Resurrection, Sunday morning.
    2. The first Evening Service, Sunday night.
    3. The Crucifixion, Wednesday night.

You are not giving yourself enough credit. I was speaking to annual events.

Unless you are a very different Baptist. I believe you celebrate Christmas, although it would be hit or miss if you do it as part of your church community on Christmas day. I know some Christians that cancel services if Christmas falls on Sunday. That makes me sad but I usually don't say anything, but if I hear them once say, "Jesus is the reason for the season" or "Put Christ back in Christmas", I view that as an opening to strike up a conversation :)

I also believe you would celebrate Easter on Easter in a more festive mood than you do most Sundays of the year?

That's at least two. Are there any others? Do you celebrate the Last Supper perhaps?

How do Baptists redeem the time? Part of the theology of commemorating and celebrating events in the Life of Christ is not to remember them but to live through and be transformed by them.

As for the 3 weekly commemorations 3/3 are carryovers from ancient Christianity.

Sunday is called the 1st day and the 8th day. The day of resurrection. On Sundays at Matins there are a series of 11 New Testament readings that are read one each Sunday and each one has to do with the appearances of Jesus after the Resurrection. Then, during the Liturgy following Matins, there are also a series of 8 sets of hymns, and one set is used each Sunday that reflect on the Resurrection. Sunday's theme is ALWAYS the Resurrection. It also trumps any other celebratory day it falls on to my knowledge so if Transfiguration falls on a Sunday, the hymns of Resurrection would be sung first.

I don't know if by "first" in first evening service you mean creation? We have a very similar theme, but we do not have a service on Sunday night. Well we do, but we follow the Bible. Beginning in Genesis, it says the "evening and the morning were the xxx day". So on secular Saturday night, we have a Sunday night service and the theme of the service is creation.

Wednesday is a commemoration of the Cross. We also commemorate the Cross on Friday as it it the day of Crucifixion.

In fact each day has a theme and the week itself is turned into a small salvation history lesson.

Monday: Angels (First Created beings)
    Tuesday: John the Baptist
    Wednesday: The Cross, as a redemption
    Thursday: the Apostles and the Mystical (Last) Supper
    Friday: Crucifixion
    Saturday: Jesus rests on the sabbath in the tomb, remembering the dead
    Sunday: Resurrection

I am not sure how, when asking how Baptists celebrate the life of John the Baptist it devolved into whisky! I never really saw too much answer on that question! Maybe the questions i peppered through this response will get better answers!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I pulled the following from Wikipedia:

"One distinction was in the number of ordinances or rites observed by the Separates. The nine rites were baptism, the Lord's supper, love feasts, laying on of hands, washing feet, anointing the sick, the right hand of fellowship, kiss of charity, and devoting children. Not all the churches practiced all nine of these, but most churches practiced more than the two ordinances generally held by the Regular Baptists — baptism and the Lord's supper."

Would that be a true representation of you specifically?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think the story of John the Baptist is fascinating. I've mentioned this elsewhere (or maybe even in this thread), but there is a group of people in the Middle East that actually worship John the Baptist above Christ. We know that he had his own following at the time of Christ, and apparently they kept that going. Despite John's protests and re-direction attempt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Baptist (Independent in this context) distinctives:

Bible is the sole authority for faith and practice

Autonomy of the local church

Priesthood of the believer

Two offices: Pastor and Deacon

Individual soul liberty

Separation of church and state

Two ordinances: Baptism and the Lord's Supper

Saved and baptized church membership

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Baptist (Independent in this context) distinctives:
    Thank you for this. I've a passing curiosity about some of the distinctions and this is helpful. I do have some questions, though, intended to be respectful.

Bible is the sole authority for faith and practice

Autonomy of the local church

Priesthood of the believer

Two offices: Pastor and Deacon

Is there biblical support for the above propositions?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    John the baptist, the cousin of Jesus who most likely knew him his entire life…..yet, would not follow him….?

I have to ask what texts/evidence you are basing your beliefs on? From later in your post it seems you are saying scriptures only but would like to be sure.

By the Biblical account in Luke, we know that John was born in a city in Judah (Luke 1:39) and that Mary and Joseph were from Nazareth, a city in Galilee so its highly unlikely they were playmates. We also know from the Bible that John grew and and lived in the deserts until he was revealed. (Luke 1:80). We also know Jesus grew up in the city. (Luke 2:39,40; 51,52). Its extremely unlikely Jesus and John spent these years together. The only Biblical evidence about Jesus is he spent some time in Egypt, probably measured in years not days or weeks. 2-4 years maybe? Then we know that at 12 he is in Jerusalem. Jesus' next appearance is at his baptism.

As to John, Luke 3:1 tells us when his manifestion occurs. Which places Jesus Close to 30. So combining Luke 1:80 with Luke 3:1, I would find your narrative hard to follow from the Biblical texts alone.

You may have mean knew of him as in I know I have a cousin in West Virginia while I sit here in Indiana but I don't really know my cousin.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the story of John the Baptist is fascinating. I've mentioned this elsewhere (or maybe even in this thread), but there is a group of people in the Middle East that actually worship John the Baptist above Christ. We know that he had his own following at the time of Christ, and apparently they kept that going. Despite John's protests and re-direction attempt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandaeism

The gnostic and mystic cults are pretty fascinating. Most of what I knew I forgotten, but I studied them quite a bit in college.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Thank you for this. I've a passing curiosity about some of the distinctions and this is helpful. I do have some questions, though, intended to be respectful.

Is there biblical support for the above propositions?

You'll have to forgive me. I do plan on getting to this but am in the middle of some very serious family issues right now. If any of the other Baptists on here would like to answer this then have at it. I will answer as soon as I can but can't make any promises.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I could probably answer for you. :)

But since it was limited to Baptists.

:)

I would rather pray for your family now anyway as there seems to be a real need there.

Lord have mercy!

You'll have to forgive me. I do plan on getting to this but am in the middle of some very serious family issues right now. If any of the other Baptists on here would like to answer this then have at it. I will answer as soon as I can but can't make any promises.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom