• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Had that awkward moment of bonding between my Baptist family and a Catholic family around homeschooling at soccer the other night.

haha

So, I've recently learned that that's actually a thing - Catholic home schooling.

Even in an area that has a couple good Catholic school options, some Catholic families are choosing to go with home schooling. Apparently, there are some good resources out there to help with this at an academic level. And, Catholic schools - despite what may be portrayed - have limited resources to help kids with either learning disabilities or exceptional gifts. In terms of social things, most clubs and sports teams are actually open to all parish families, not just those who attend school there. That means there are also the opportunities to provide that layer for home schooled kids.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It didn't help that I read the first question and answer and disagreed with it :) LOL

That is from a site committed to "historic Baptist and Reformed Beliefs".

How about one committed to historic Christianity or would that be prehistoric Christianity to children of the reformation?

:)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Homeschooling is big among the Orthodox I know. I know one parish that started from a home school group.

haha

So, I've recently learned that that's actually a thing - Catholic home schooling.

Even in an area that has a couple good Catholic school options, some Catholic families are choosing to go with home schooling. Apparently, there are some good resources out there to help with this at an academic level. And, Catholic schools - despite what may be portrayed - have limited resources to help kids with either learning disabilities or exceptional gifts. In terms of social things, most clubs and sports teams are actually open to all parish families, not just those who attend school there. That means there are also the opportunities to provide that layer for home schooled kids.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Homeschooling is big among the Orthodox I know. I know one parish that started from a home school group.

I know no Orthodox. Y'all need to get out more (or maybe it is me).

Really though, I've known Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Mormons, all kinds of Protestants, never an Orthodox believer.

Though I did just start working with a guy from Syria, so there is a chance!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    On a whim (or rather to confirm my memory), I went and looked at this one, the SBC, the Westminster and American Baptists. It seems they all start with Holy Scripture. Just seems odd to me.

Catholic and Orthodox usually start with the Creed.

I am not too fond of most Orthodox Catechisms as I find them to be so thoroughly westernized.

What does that mean?

Viewing Holy Scripture and Tradition as two different things instead of one
    Calling mysteries sacraments
    Enumerating the number of sacraments, usually to 7 to match the Latins. I'll just stop here...

So what is the best catechism? Go to Church, not just on Sunday but every service you possibly can, pay attention, read your bible daily, preferably following the Lectionary, read from the lives of the saints daily. Read some devotional reading at some point during the day. Perhaps before bed. Pray seven times a day using the prayers of the Church as the foundation and add in your own if you have time. Find a spiritual counselor that you trust and you can tell everything.

That is foszoe's catechism. Do that for a year and you will be Orthodox :)

Yeah. That one caught me off guard. I sorta see it, but I'm really not sure of it.

This is pretty much the go to confession for Reformed Baptists.

1689 Baptist Confession

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    On a whim (or rather to confirm my memory), I went and looked at this one, the SBC, the Westminster and American Baptists. It seems they all start with Holy Scripture. Just seems odd to me.

Catholic and Orthodox usually start with the Creed.

I think that is the basis of our differences. Protestants base their views on the Scripture. Catholic and Orthodox base their's on the church.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I would limit that to Baptists. It's not as prevalent among other Protestant Groups. I think Methodists and Lutherans start with a creedal formula. Remember the first line of most creeds is I believe in God...a statement of faith.

I think that is the basis of our differences. Protestants base their views on the Scripture. Catholic and Orthodox base their's on the church.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    https://babylonbee.com/news/presbyterian-pool-party-just-lawn-with-sprinkler/

sprinkler.png

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

This is quite the oversimplification.

Scripture must be interpreted. (All communication must be interpreted.) The Catholic and Orthodox churches have a long history that helps to guide in the interpretation of the scriptures, but that doesn't mean that we of the various Protestant denominations always interpret the scriptures without the help of those who went before us.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    The answer is very simple. Salvation is union with God. That's it in a nutshell. That was the theology of ancient Christianity and is still the message of Orthodox Christianity to this day.

The second item I have advocated for often is to leave quit thinking of sin as a crime and punishment scenario. I commit a crime, I need forgiveness. <Insert mechanism here>. I am forgiven. That is medieval, reformation theology.

Now if salvation is not just the forgiveness of sins than is one saved when their sins are forgiven? No.

So to my Protestant friends, which is it?

Salvation is the forgiveness of sins; you are forgiven your sins at that moment. While I will say that, I will agree that it also include that relationship with God though Jesus. One must turn from their evil ways; otherwise it does not happen. Just because one may ask for forgiveness, does not mean they are saved or salvation occurs. Some groups believe "once saved always saved"; I do not. I believe one can fall from grace.

Once I accept Christ, I am saved. If I return to my sinful life, I can lose grace.

1) I do not consider prayers to be punishment, never have.
    2) I do not believe one needs to confess to a priest or anyone else to be forgiven my God.
    3) I do not focus on the cross. What happened 3 days later is what is most important and is the very foundation of Christianity.
    4) My experience with priest/man confession was this. The amount of hail mary's is directly proportionate to my sin.....which is ridiculous.
    5) The priest does not need to "probe"; the Holy Spirit does a remarkable job.
    6) I found it amusing that you stated that protestants pick and choose the parts they like. As with different catholic churches and such, the same may be said; only with a more solid foundation.
    7) Purgatory is does not exist. When I am saved, I am a new creation and through justification and sanctification - I'm good to go, right to heaven.

For the record, I do not challenge anyone's salvation. If you believe in Jesus Christ alone, have faith in Him alone, accept Him as your savior alone and truly want Him in your life....you are saved. That does not mean one can keep on sinning and be saved. It's that simple. No magic, no special works, no special sacrament....it's all in your heart and your relationship with Christ. That is salvation. Ina nutshell, Romans 10:9. Ephesians explains it very well.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Salvation is the forgiveness of sins; you are forgiven your sins at that moment. While I will say that, I will agree that it also include that relationship with God though Jesus. One must turn from their evil ways; otherwise it does not happen. Just because one may ask for forgiveness, does not mean they are saved or salvation occurs. Some groups believe "once saved always saved"; I do not. I believe one can fall from grace.

Once I accept Christ, I am saved. If I return to my sinful life, I can lose grace.

1) I do not consider prayers to be punishment, never have.
    2) I do not believe one needs to confess to a priest or anyone else to be forgiven my God.
    3) I do not focus on the cross. What happened 3 days later is what is most important and is the very foundation of Christianity.
    4) My experience with priest/man confession was this. The amount of hail mary's is directly proportionate to my sin.....which is ridiculous.
    5) The priest does not need to "probe"; the Holy Spirit does a remarkable job.
    6) I found it amusing that you stated that protestants pick and choose the parts they like. As with different catholic churches and such, the same may be said; only with a more solid foundation.
    7) Purgatory is does not exist. When I am saved, I am a new creation and through justification and sanctification - I'm good to go, right to heaven.

For the record, I do not challenge anyone's salvation. If you believe in Jesus Christ alone, have faith in Him alone, accept Him as your savior alone and truly want Him in your life....you are saved. That does not mean one can keep on sinning and be saved. It's that simple. No magic, no special works, no special sacrament....it's all in your heart and your relationship with Christ. That is salvation. Ina nutshell, Romans 10:9. Ephesians explains it very well.

What church do you attend?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom