• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There are forms of government which uphold Biblical standards which are not theocracies.

Name a few.

While you're at it, name a few actual governments "which uphold [or upheld] Biblical standards which are [or were] not theocracies."

I'm truly curious now.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Name a few.

While you're at it, name a few actual governments "which uphold [or upheld] Biblical standards which are [or were] not theocracies."

I'm truly curious now.

Some Republics, some Monarchies, some Oligarchies...

Many different countries all over Earth during some periods have done so.

Have they done so perfectly? Of course not, but this whole notion that government is entirely separate from Biblical morality is denying historical truth.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Why the Byzantine Empire of course! :)

And what about Vatican City?

Name a few.

I'm truly curious now.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    There seems to be a widespread misunderstanding here of the "separation of church and state". The intent was to keep the state out of the affairs of the church, not for the church to remain silent and have no influence over government.

In fact, the "Two Kingdoms" (Worldly/Civil and Spiritual/Ecclesiastical) are both under God, in different spheres, with different obligations and authorities to uphold.

The civil government is to uphold and enforce natural law, in the Western expression, this is expressed through biblical moral law, encouraging good and punishing evil.
    The church government is tend to the matter of the church.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Have you ever considered how believers are to interact with one another and settle matters between themselves or within the church, involving the congregation/elders, if necessary, but not to turn to the civil authorities unless they must?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    This is a great question!

Cursory reading would seem indicate that this interpretation is correct. It is not a matter that I have fleshed out thoroughly or donated immense amounts of thoughts too. Perhaps I will see if the Holy Fathers provide any additional guidance on this.

I do know that Orthodox and Catholics have a "court" system. I think Methodists do, not sure about other Protestant groups.

Can't wait to read the responses.

Have you ever considered how believers are to interact with one another and settle matters between themselves or within the church, involving the congregation/elders, if necessary, but not to turn to the civil authorities unless they must?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some Republics, some Monarchies, some Oligarchies...

Many different countries all over Earth during some periods have done so.

Have they done so perfectly? Of course not, but this whole notion that government is entirely separate from Biblical morality is denying historical truth.

You didn't answer the question. "Afraid"?

Which "republics, monarchies oligarchies"?

It isn't whether they are "perfect" or not. Frankly, no government is, so that's an impossible goal.

Rather, it seems as though you are taking the position that some form of government with theocratic values, but not a theocracy, would be better than what we have here in the US, today.

I'm generally familiar with many governments in history, and I can't think of a single one that would be better. So, I'm very interested in being enlightened.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Now that's funny, considering that Vatican I declares the Pontifex Maximus to be the civil ruler, IIRC.
    Totally unrelated, but what does the Bible say about banking compliance?

I'm asking for a friend.

sn't the Vatican still pissed of that when Italy unified their kingdom essentially ended?

Naw, they got over that a few years ago. Turned the page pretty quick by Catholic standards. ;)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is a great question!

Cursory reading would seem indicate that this interpretation is correct. It is not a matter that I have fleshed out thoroughly or donated immense amounts of thoughts too. Perhaps I will see if the Holy Fathers provide any additional guidance on this.

I do know that Orthodox and Catholics have a "court" system. I think Methodists do, not sure about other Protestant groups.

Can't wait to read the responses.

Being Baptist, we eschew anything higher than authority at the individual church level.

We do have elders that deal with such matters if they must.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What we have now is a complete mockery of what the founding fathers intended.

OK. We'll go with that. Is modern a better or worse government than Rome under Nero?

If Paul was writing about be submissive to rather oppressive and arguably immoral government, then how should we act in a less oppressive and more moral government?

We don't live in a republican anymore, just in name.
    You're going to have to show your work on this one.

There seems to be a widespread misunderstanding here of the "separation of church and state". The intent was to keep the state out of the affairs of the church, not for the church to remain silent and have no influence over government.

In fact, the "Two Kingdoms" (Worldly/Civil and Spiritual/Ecclesiastical) are both under God, in different spheres, with different obligations and authorities to uphold.

The civil government is to uphold and enforce natural law, in the Western expression, this is expressed through biblical moral law, encouraging good and punishing evil.
    The church government is tend to the matter of the church.

I think everyone here totally supports Christians having an influence on their government. We just don't believe the concept of supporting lesser magistrates who would openly and flagrantly defy the law.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wow, now there's a stretch.

Sex abuse.

Dj3fIm5XsAIVPki.jpg:large

foszoe

Grandmaster