Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    1. Did Jesus turn the water into real wine, or grape juice?
    2. Which Bible translation is the right one?
    3. Does God still speak to us through visions and dreams?
    4. What kind of music does God like best?

There's some suggestions. Pick one.

I have a Babylon Bee article for each. :):

https://babylonbee.com/news/john-macarthur-performs-miracle-at-wedding-turns-wine-into-water/
    https://babylonbee.com/news/bee-explains-main-differences-popular-bible-translations/
    https://babylonbee.com/news/prophetic-vision-church-includes-huge-salary-pastor/
    https://babylonbee.com/news/worshiper-makes-joyful-horrifying-noise-lord/

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    1. Did Jesus turn the water into real wine, or grape juice?
    Wine.
    2. Which Bible translation is the right one?
    Several. Bible Translations: How to Choose a Translation ? BenHammond.org
    3. Does God still speak to us through visions and dreams?
    Not new revelation, but the Holy Spirit can influence us in numerous ways.
    4. What kind of music does God like best?
    Any thing that glorifies Him, and that doesn't necessarily means songs about Him[/quote]
    Next?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I gotta share this - We picked up a new guitar player in our church because a rather large church in Ft. Wayne determined he is too old to play on their stage.

:n00b:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I gotta share this - We picked up a new guitar player in our church because a rather large church in Ft. Wayne determined he is too old to play on their stage.

:n00b:

Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days...but we're trying to display a young, hip image, so....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I mean a stage.

One Sunday I went there... it was a good show.

Wait.

The words look like English, but when you put them together in that order, I get lost.

There's a stage. Like, raised platform for entertainers. Not just in a church, but used as part of the services. Like for entertainment.

During the service.

I must be missing something.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Churches aren't losing worshippers because of the quality of the band that plays in the sanctuary during service, that's...well that's absurd.

Churches are losing worshippers because the core message doesn't resonate with people who aren't fully immersed in the tradition, and the world they inhabit looks nothing like the one being described to them.

Furthermore, the continual scandals are ripping a chasm open between your audience and yourself. The Catholic sex abuse scandal and its subsequent cover-up, the Fundamental LDS and their "Spiritual Marriages", the young-earthers, and the rapture cults, the faith healers, the prosperity gospel preachers...these things obscure the message, and turn people away from your faith. In other words, the everyday business of Christianity(tm) isn't very Christlike...those you wish to bring into the fold see this.

If you want to gain new followers you have to prove to them that your core message has relevance to their lives. People are getting more savvy to confidence schemes and the con men that run them. People recognize the traits of a con, and they steer away.

Your faith offers eternal life from an invisible man, but only after you die. If people want to learn more they can join your group, where you will solicit them for money, time, and loyalty...is it really that hard to believe you're setting off people's internal "scam alarms"?

You have an uphill climb here, guys. Seriously. It isn't a good latte or a hot band that's keeping people away...it's that your emperor is naked.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but you have to be honest with what you're really up against here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wait.

The words look like English, but when you put them together in that order, I get lost.

There's a stage. Like, raised platform for entertainers. Not just in a church, but used as part of the services. Like for entertainment.

During the service.

I must be missing something.

Trust me, you not.

We will never return.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Churches aren't losing worshippers because of the quality of the band that plays in the sanctuary during service, that's...well that's absurd.

Churches are losing worshippers because the core message doesn't resonate with people who aren't fully immersed in the tradition, and the world they inhabit looks nothing like the one being described to them.

Furthermore, the continual scandals are ripping a chasm open between your audience and yourself. The Catholic sex abuse scandal and its subsequent cover-up, the Fundamental LDS and their "Spiritual Marriages", the young-earthers, and the rapture cults, the faith healers, the prosperity gospel preachers...these things obscure the message, and turn people away from your faith. In other words, the everyday business of Christianity(tm) isn't very Christlike...those you wish to bring into the fold see this.

If you want to gain new followers you have to prove to them that your core message has relevance to their lives. People are getting more savvy to confidence schemes and the con men that run them. People recognize the traits of a con, and they steer away.

Your faith offers eternal life from an invisible man, but only after you die. If people want to learn more they can join your group, where you will solicit them for money, time, and loyalty...is it really that hard to believe you're setting off people's internal "scam alarms"?

You have an uphill climb here, guys. Seriously. It isn't a good latte or a hot band that's keeping people away...it's that your emperor is naked.

I'm sorry. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but you have to be honest with what you're really up against here.

You speak the truth.

(ignoring the invisible man thing ;))

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Yep...the church, in too many ways, has become like the world it was warned not to. Being a Christian is an act of rebellion. Many churches have become indistinguishable from the world around it. You might as well stay home and sleep in.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Lots of good stuff in there.

Ghandi has a good quote, “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

How true this is, Paul. It is unfortunate that an entire group can be characterized by a few that take advantage of their positions. This happens with lots of groups though... police come to mind.

This was all bound to happen though. Paul the Apostle wrote to a young pastor name Timothy around 2000 years ago to make sure he stayed true to the teachings of Christianity because many wouldn't.

I charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearing and his kingdom:
    preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.
    For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
    and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

2 Timothy 4:1-4

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    checkmate, theists

bg08yhlulg511.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.