• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This sight isnt good for funny one liners?! Are you kidding me? Have you not read every thread in here? There is always 1 or 2 witty comments. I meant no harm in it. Maybe a smile or 2. should I have said "Shouldn't the Lord protect you there.. HAHA JK!) Cmon guys

Hard to read intent online, know what I mean? Just add a smiley next time. OR, we have taken to using purple text to indicate sarcasm here...

No harm, no foul :D

dooleydclown

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Somewhere between Indy and Carmel
    From what I've been told after asking several folks who hopefully know what they are talking about, including a school system LEO if your church is within a thousand feet of a school or is used by a school you would need to be involved with their security and have a letter or something that states that. None of my info came from a lawyer so just my :twocents:. I'll stay out of the other part of the conversation.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This topic has piqued my interest.

For years I have always thought that a person with a License to Carry a Handgun could not take the gun within 1000 feet of a school. But after looking deeper into the Indiana code I think this is not the case.
    According to IC 35-47-9-2 says you simply cannot possess a firearm in or on school property (except to transport someone to and from of course).

Indiana Code 35-47-9

The only place that the 1000 feet rule is mentioned in the Indiana code is IC 35-47-2-1 and that refers to the penalties for violating IC 35-47-2-1 which is carrying a handgun without a license or someone convicted of domestic battery. If you carry without a license, it is a Class A misdemeanor, if you carry within 1000 feet of school property without a license, then it is a Class C felony.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

So according to the current Indiana Code, you can carry a gun in the Church so long as there is no school function occuring in the church that day. I am not aware of any code or case law that has established that a church with an attached shool makes the church "school property". But if they are indeed "separate properties", legally speaking, then you can carry in church no problem.

In Indiana, a school is never not a school. Doesn't matter if it's a public school, parochial, HeadStart, Pre-K, K-whatever, etc etc.

Doesn't matter what day of the week, nor month of the year.

As I understand it, the property is the ENTIRE property.

I can imagine, however, that there might be some prosecutorial leeway if, say, for instance the "school building" is at the NW corner of a 100 acre plot and the "church building" is at the SE corner of the 100 acre plot....should something happen at the church location.

-J-

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    From what I've been told after asking several folks who hopefully know what they are talking about, including a school system LEO if your church is within a thousand feet of a school or is used by a school you would need to be involved with their security and have a letter or something that states that. None of my info came from a lawyer so just my :twocents:. I'll stay out of the other part of the conversation.

Take the bolded part out and you are correct.

AR154ME

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Are there laws against this. I did a quick search but didn't come up with any answers. Thanks guys. :ingo:

hmm, I don't go that often, but when I do I leave it in the car. For some reason it makes me feel bad taking it in. Guess I need to talk it over with God.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    This sight isnt good for funny one liners?! Are you kidding me? Have you not read every thread in here? There is always 1 or 2 witty comments. I meant no harm in it. Maybe a smile or 2. should I have said "Shouldn't the Lord protect you there.. HAHA JK!) Cmon guys

Sorry if I over reacted. I took your comments seriously. Some kind of indication that it was a jocular one liner would have alerted me to it. :)

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Haven't you been paying attention to the news for the last 10 years? There have been 280 different attacks at churches. TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY. 148 of these attacks have resulted in the death of someone (other than the attacker). There have been FIVE this year alone. FIVE!!!

Indy, can you give me some links verifying that? I've been curious about how many cases there've been over the years, so I'd love to be able to read up on it myself and have them ready to show others with whom I discuss this topic.

TIA.

wow guys, that was just a joke. God has a great sense of humor. Just go to the zoo or look at rosie o'd, he made some funny stuff.

QFT.
    Proof:
    walrus.jpg

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indy, can you give me some links verifying that? I've been curious about how many cases there've been over the years, so I'd love to be able to read up on it myself and have them ready to show others with whom I discuss this topic.

TIA.

QFT.
    Proof:
    walrus.jpg

Miss Rosie has never looked better

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    While at a church in Evansville our Pastor had someone threaten to kill him. He wore a bullet proof vest at the pulpit for a while. Churches can be easy targets for someone looking to do some damage. Anywhere from 100 to a couple thousand people, the vast majority with their guards down because they're in a place of worship.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    While at a church in Evansville our Pastor had someone threaten to kill him. He wore a bullet proof vest at the pulpit for a while. Churches can be easy targets for someone looking to do some damage. Anywhere from 100 to a couple thousand people, the vast majority with their guards down because they're in a place of worship.

This lady at work goes to some church in the Plainfield/Avon area, and the pastor there every 9-11 gives some anti-Islam, all Muslims are Jihadists sermon and has members of the church stand in the aisles with sunglasses on 'scouting' the audience, and boasts how he's got kevlar on etc.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    Ok, I'm sure this has been explained before but I have to ask again. How would someone know if the sunday school is not considered day care/school. Both would keep us from exercising LTCH. Yes? No? My church calls it "little people church".

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ok, I'm sure this has been explained before but I have to ask again. How would someone know if the sunday school is not considered day care/school. Both would keep us from exercising LTCH. Yes? No? My church calls it "little people church".

I am pretty sure there is a distinction between a "Sunday School" class, and an actual, State sanctioned Academic school.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    wow guys, that was just a joke. God has a great sense of humor. Just go to the zoo or look at rosie o'd, he made some funny stuff.

Yeah i thought so too now i got 2 negative reps because people cant keep their finger off the trigger. These type of people should own firearms they are to quick to judge an d insult. "Oh look a bad guy.. Boom.. dead.."

Top Bottom