• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I CC to my church. It may be a small country church but you never know what may happen. If God wants to use me to help protect his people then I want to be able to do just that. I haven't told anyone there that I carry while there. But I think a few people might have realized it by now.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Take your cynicism (and ignorance of Judeo-Christian theology) elsewhere, please. This thread is not the place for it.

-J-

I'm not meaning to stir up more chaos; you're coming off rather brash about the situation. Unless you know him personally; I feel you're assuming he's ignorant about the Christian ways.

I found his comment rather funny; I do not believe the Judeo-Christian theology albeit I've studied it time and time again. Just because one doesn't believe the same things you do; does not indicate their ignorance. I find in many cases the atheist have studied Christianity much more than the average Christian.

With a that being said; I go to church for the sake of keeping the peace at home. ( My wife is a Christian and as far as I'm concerned my son is being raised Christian ) . I carry to church and so does my wife.

I hadn't thought of carrying to a church // school that's something I'm going to have to rethink.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    There couldn't be that much harm that takes place in a chruch, unless you attend one in the ghetto.

That may, or may not be true. Angry boyfriend or husband of a church member decides to 'teach her a lesson', an Islamic Jihadist decides that the local courthouse is too large a social and political target so he plans to act on a non-believing church house, punks with guns, some dejected and alienated gothic boy who finds his daddy's shotgun decides he'll 'make them pay'...

The list goes on, but they are ALL feasible and possible---anywhere.

The Lord protects, but He also gave us a brain. :twocents:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There couldn't be that much harm that takes place in a chruch, unless you attend one in the ghetto.

Been a number of church shootings in the last few years, including one in which an armed church member dropped the bad guy before he could shoot more than a couple people. BG got a couple folks in the parking lot, went into the church itself, whereupon the armed lady saved a lot of lives in a noisy and rather final manner with her sidearm.

And none of the most notorious ones lately have taken place in ghettos. Colorado, small town Arkansas, Kansas....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think his point is that this is not the right place for a comment like that. Everyone is welcome to theirs... 1st Amen and all, but there is a right time and place.

This is what I meant. And yes, upon reflection, I realize that this a particular comment may come across as harsh and/or brash. That isn't my intent.

Haven't you been paying attention to the news for the last 10 years? There have been 280 different attacks at churches. TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY. 148 of these attacks have resulted in the death of someone (other than the attacker). There have been FIVE this year alone. FIVE!!!

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    This sight isnt good for funny one liners?! Are you kidding me? Have you not read every thread in here? There is always 1 or 2 witty comments. I meant no harm in it. Maybe a smile or 2. should I have said "Shouldn't the Lord protect you there.. HAHA JK!) Cmon guys

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    In most cases, I don't think you'd get any kind of backlash from a one-liner here. Unfortunately, this one is a common retort for non-believers, and it almost always comes off as dickish.

Reminds me of that scene in Navy Seals with Charlie Sheen and Michael Biehn..
    IMDB said:
    Curran: [to Dane over the radio] God, I've got company up here...
    Terrorist: You're American?
    Curran: God, come in God...
    Terrorist: Your God does not help you now!
    [Dane gets a shot off, killing the Terrorist just before he dies]

With a large number of churches having preschools (usually reaching K), it's a pretty sticky subject for some of us. I, along with many other here, attend one of those large churches and must weigh the responsibility of carrying against the possibility of bigtime jail if something bad happens and we're forced to act.

Disclaimer: Notice that no where in this post, or in any other I've made, do I state that I carry in church.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I guess i just never veiwed churches as being an "unsafe" place. Apparently i need to rethink my previous thoughts.

It's not a matter of churches being "unsafe" per se, but that they have no special dispensation making them somehow immune from being attacked. Is it unlikely? Yep. Does it happen? Also yep.

Remember the Colorado Springs story. Gunman opens fire on a church and is stopped by an armed member serving as "volunteer security."

I don't carry because I'm expecting trouble. I carry because trouble can happen whether one is expecting it or not.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I guess i just never veiwed churches as being an "unsafe" place. Apparently i need to rethink my previous thoughts.
    What a good place for a robbery. 50 to 100+ people all with some cash to donate to God and most wearing their Sunday best watches and jewelry. And no one would carry a gun to defend themselves into the House of The Lord...right? ;)

Amen and pass the ammo.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    This topic has piqued my interest.

For years I have always thought that a person with a License to Carry a Handgun could not take the gun within 1000 feet of a school. But after looking deeper into the Indiana code I think this is not the case.
    According to IC 35-47-9-2 says you simply cannot possess a firearm in or on school property (except to transport someone to and from of course).

Indiana Code 35-47-9

The only place that the 1000 feet rule is mentioned in the Indiana code is IC 35-47-2-1 and that refers to the penalties for violating IC 35-47-2-1 which is carrying a handgun without a license or someone convicted of domestic battery. If you carry without a license, it is a Class A misdemeanor, if you carry within 1000 feet of school property without a license, then it is a Class C felony.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

So according to the current Indiana Code, you can carry a gun in the Church so long as there is no school function occuring in the church that day. I am not aware of any code or case law that has established that a church with an attached shool makes the church "school property". But if they are indeed "separate properties", legally speaking, then you can carry in church no problem.

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    What a good place for a robbery. 50 to 100+ people all with some cash to donate to God and most wearing their Sunday best watches and jewelry. And no one would carry a gun to defend themselves into the House of The Lord...right? ;)

Amen and pass the ammo.
    That happened about 6yrs ago in Greenwood at the church we were attending at the time. Guy walked in during service, dressed fairly well, like he belonged and was late. He wandered around outside the sanctuary for a bit, then made his way back to the choir room where the choir had their belongings. Took wallets, cash from purses, cell phones, and walked out. No one noticed until the choir went back after they were dismissed and found their stuff gone.

Top Bottom