• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Not at all to pick on you specifically, but I HATE this phrase.

Completely and totally unscriptural.

I respond with James 2 14-26:

14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
    Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
    19You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
    20You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. 24You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
    25In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
    (I generally prefer the KJV as what I grew up with but in this case I think the New International Version makes clearer what I've always understood of that passage.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Not aware of any laws against it, except for the daycare and school issues discussed. I for myself CCW a Ruger LCP for going to church in a pocket holster. As far as the Lord protecting me? That is why I CCW a weapon, as he has given me the means of and expects for me to protect my family. It's even in the Bible how in the Gospel of Luke, the Lord had said, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

I firmly believe that to allow murder or rape when one could have prevented it is morally wrong...even in a House of God.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Remember, the Lord helps he who helps himself!!!:evilangel:

I agree with Indy_guy_77, This implies that GOD loves some folks more than others. Which is not true at all.

Not at all to pick on you specifically, but I HATE this phrase.
    Completely and totally unscriptural.
    :+1:
    I respond with James 2 14-26:

I think what you meant to infer is that work and faith go together like hand and glove, can't have one without the other. Not that GOD will show any type of favoritism. :twocents:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I agree with Indy_guy_77, This implies that GOD loves some folks more than others. Which is not true at all.

:+1:

I think what you meant to infer is that work and faith go together like hand and glove, can't have one without the other. Not that GOD will show any type of favoritism. :twocents:

Um, not quite but rather that it means what it says: "faith, without works, is dead, being alone."

If you're not out there making your best effort and doing what you can don't expect God to come galloping over the hill like the cavalry in an old movie.

As for God showing "favoritism" that's all through the Bible.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Um, not quite but rather that it means what it says: "faith, without works, is dead, being alone."

If you're not out there making your best effort and doing what you can don't expect God to come galloping over the hill like the cavalry in an old movie.

As for God showing "favoritism" that's all through the Bible.

I guess since you decided to ignore my infer as a para-quote... we will have to agree to completely disagree.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

I guess since you decided to ignore my infer as a para-quote... we will have to agree to completely disagree.

Actually the only thing I "inferred" was that the statement that "the lord helps those who help themselves" as being unscriptural is incorrect--shown by example. After all, what is helping oneself (or at least attempting to do so) but the "deeds" involved. The actual example James gave (saying "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," on seeing someone naked and hungry) speaks directly to the point--help them get some clothes and food instead of just wishing them well or having "faith" that God will take care of it) speaks directly to that point.

Now, you can interpret that passage otherwise if you choose and I can't gainsay you. However, that passage is there and it speaks of acting rather than just expecting God to deal with it--and until and unless whatever version of God you happen to believe in comes down to clarify what interpretation (if any) is "correct" for that passage calling the idea that one needs actual deeds--colloquially put as "God helps those who helps themselves"--as "unscriptural" is pure hubris.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Indy, can you give me some links verifying that? I've been curious about how many cases there've been over the years, so I'd love to be able to read up on it myself and have them ready to show others with whom I discuss this topic.

TIA.

QFT.
    Proof:
    walrus.jpg

Is that Michelle or Nancy?

skyscout

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    It is not illegal in indiana...unless the above mentioned issues of preschool or the likes on the premise. I've carried in church for years, at the request of my pastor. It's the most vulnerable time of the week if you think about it (tactically speaking); therefore it's the most important time to vigilant!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    A few years ago my uncle was Pastor of a small church in Whiteland,he was choked to death one Sunday morning right before service by a sicko. Just goes to show violence can and will happen anywhere.I CC everytime I go to church.

Top Bottom