• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    One thing I'll add is that this trade is a little unique. The typical job lasts 1 or 2 weeks, we almost necessarily develop a rapport with the customer. It's not as impersonal as say having a plumber fix a leak or an HVAC guy servicing a furnace (not to suggest that a trade like those is necessarily impersonal). Usually a long lasting relationship develops- most of our work now comes from word of mouth, we dropped our Yellowpages ad years ago. Some of you may see this as all the more reason not to betray their trust, which I could agree with. The point I'm making is that we're not quite the "stranger" to our customers as it might seem on the face of it. The majority of our customers leave us in their home by ourselves daily and trust us fully. Just a little distinction I thought needed to be made...

T_F, you da MAN!!! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    So I assume you two don't carry into businesses or other public places? I sure would be hard to inform everyone around me I was carrying. Hell even when I OC most people around don't realize it. Should I go up to them and tell them to? I am after all carrying around their families. Do you also leave it in the car when you go to the grocery store? It is after all someone else's private property.

Why are you scared of other people with guns if you expect that people shouldn't be scared of you?

BINGO!!!! You beat me to it. :yesway:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    So I assume you two don't carry into businesses or other public places? I sure would be hard to inform everyone around me I was carrying. Hell even when I OC most people around don't realize it. Should I go up to them and tell them to? I am after all carrying around their families. Do you also leave it in the car when you go to the grocery store? It is after all someone else's private property.

Why are you scared of other people with guns if you expect that people shouldn't be scared of you?
    TF...crushing poorly reasoned emotionally based positions with logic since 2/2011.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Well it's my house my rules it's not a grocery store or a mall or a fast food joint or a football stadium or a butcher shop or a church.
    I own it and I say who brings in a loaded firearm.

If some contractor or repairman carries in my home without first asking me so I can tell him no ,and I find out,he has just lost a paycheck.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Well it's my house my rules it's not a grocery store or a mall or a fast food joint or a football stadium or a butcher shop or a church.

If some contractor or repairman carries in my home without first asking me so I can tell him no ,and I find out,he has just lost a paycheck.

I want to know if you inform every owner of every private building you go into while you are carrying. Do you carry if there are "No Firearm" signs on a business? What about the mall? I know several grocery stores and restaurants have no gun policies, do you disarm before you go there? Do you ask every place you go if they allow weapons if it is not posted?

If you expect other places to let you carry and not have to inform or be harassed then why is it different on your property?

EDIT: I am not saying that you CAN'T decide who carries, it IS your property and you DO make the rules (for the most part- try not letting a cop with a warrant carry his gun) I just want to know WHY you feel the way you do. To me it seems very anti-liberty to expect other people to feel weird about having a perfectly legal tool with them while otherwise allowed to be on your property.

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If you have rules that you expect people in your home to abide by, then I hope you have them posted or verbally inform of all of your rules prior to letting them enter your home. DO YOU ? Or do you just expect everyone else to have the same set of ideas and thoughts about what may or may not be permitted in someone else's home? Clearly other people don't feel the same way that you do. They mean no offense by going about their daily business with the ability, protected by their constitution, to protect themselves and loved ones.

Clearly many of us do not feel that a firearm is some magical talisman that must be disclosed prior to entering your abode. Should everyone carrying a knife also inform you? Wearing a Red Wings jersey? Carrying pepper spray? What else?

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you have rules that you expect people in your home to abide by, then I hope you have them posted or verbally inform of all of your rules prior to letting them enter your home. DO YOU ? Or do you just expect everyone else to have the same set of ideas and thoughts about what may or may not be permitted in someone else's home? Clearly other people don't feel the same way that you do. They mean no offense by going about their daily business with the ability, protected by their constitution, to protect themselves and loved ones.

Clearly many of us do not feel that a firearm is some magical talisman that must be disclosed prior to entering your abode. Should everyone carrying a knife also inform you? Pepper spray? What else?

:+1:

Knocked it out of the park with that one! EXACTLY my point. Do I need to disclose what type of underwear I am wearing that day? As an earlier poster mentioned some people are offended by thongs and I have seen an electrician in his 20's that wore a bright red thong that hung out of his pants. He was doing work at my mom's place and I was alerted to it by one of the girls that works there. My mom saw it too.

Ok, perfect example:

I don't allow smoking in my house. Fair enough right? Why would I demand that smokers entering in leave their pack of smokes or lighter in their car or inform me of their presence? I think it is also very intelligent to disallow the discharging of a firearm in your house. Just because you like to target shoot does not mean you do it inside right? Same rule applies. That gun is not going to do a damn thing while it is in a holster.

Why do I have to make the same arguments about allowing guns here that I do on liberal media sites??? :xmad:

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Your right to carry is guaranteed by the second ammendment but the basis of all liberty is that you can do pretty much as you please so long as the exercise of your rights don't trample on someone else's.
    IN my humble opiinion one of the main reasons we get so much resistance to guns is that we often push too hard and forget that the other person at least on his own property has every right not to have a gun on his property.
    So far as buildings open to the public is concerned if they post no guns I respect their property right or don't enter at all.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Your right to carry is guaranteed by the second ammendment but the basis of all liberty is that you can do pretty much as you please so long as the exercise of your rights don't trample on someone else's.
    IN my humble opiinion one of the main reasons we get so much resistance to guns is that we often push too hard and forget that the other person at least on his own property has every right not to have a gun on his property.
    So far as buildings open to the public is concerned if they post no guns I respect their property right or don't enter at all.

IMO the reason we get resistance is ignorance and a lack of education about guns and our rights.

Your stance on buildings open to the public is admirable and one I take myself since I don't patronize them.

The basis of my argument goes a little beyond that though, I find it difficult to think that aside from a huge sign on someone's property banning guns from it or them telling me up front I do not see how my lawful and normal activity is trampling on their liberty to make their own rules on their property. If they were to see it and tell me it is not allowed I would not argue one bit. I would immediately remove the gun (and probably myself) from their property.

It would be the same if they kicked my off for the color of my hat and I would view it the same way. I do not distinguish between my pistol and any other item I wear on a daily basis as they are all just tools that perform a function for me. My clothes keep my from being naked, my wallet keeps my money and licenses, my knife does many things, my shoes keep my feet protected, my sunglasses make me look :cool: and my pistol preserves my liberty. There is no difference. It does not take a gun to kill someone and I dare say more people have been killed by many other things than guns.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    IMO the reason we get resistance is ignorance and a lack of education about guns and our rights.

Your stance on buildings open to the public is admirable and one I take myself since I don't patronize them.

The basis of my argument goes a little beyond that though, I find it difficult to think that aside from a huge sign on someone's property banning guns from it or them telling me up front I do not see how my lawful and normal activity is trampling on their liberty to make their own rules on their property. If they were to see it and tell me it is not allowed I would not argue one bit. I would immediately remove the gun (and probably myself) from their property.

It would be the same if they kicked my off for the color of my hat and I would view it the same way. I do not distinguish between my pistol and any other item I wear on a daily basis as they are all just tools that perform a function for me. My clothes keep my from being naked, my wallet keeps my money and licenses, my knife does many things, my shoes keep my feet protected, my sunglasses make me look :cool: and my pistol preserves my liberty. There is no difference. It does not take a gun to kill someone and I dare say more people have been killed by many other things than guns.

This^^^^

Lots of these responses make me :scratch:. I am really shocked at some of the stances on this issue such as

1. it's okay for me to carry on someone elses property but don't you dare carry on mine.
    2. I'm the only one safe enough to carry around my family, but it's okay for me to carry in public around many other people's family.

:n00b:

I guess what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Have we been infiltrated by the libs? Like Ron Paul says, You can't be for the constitutional rights but only the ones that you agree with. You're either for constitutional rights or your not. You can't have it both ways. :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    This forum sure is full of cowboys and I emphasize BOYS.

But on a more serious note if the 400 lb woman I hired to do interior design shows up at my door in a bikini she's not gettin in either.:D

Even if she can legally wear it in public

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County

I agree entirely about the ignorance and lack of education but I don't agree that the way to educate is to rub peoples noses in something against their will.

As to your other arguments please keep in mind that guns are not nearly as common or well accecpted as you sun glasses or hat. What if the property owner is really up tight agianst guns and instead of just asking you to remove your gun or leave the property they call 911 saying there is a man with a gun in my living room?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I agree entirely about the ignorance and lack of education but I don't agree that the way to educate is to rub peoples noses in something against their will.

As to your other arguments please keep in mind that guns are not nearly as common or well accecpted as you sun glasses or hat. What if the property owner is really up tight agianst guns and instead of just asking you to remove your gun or leave the property they call 911 saying there is a man with a gun in my living room?

I'd imagine the conversation would go something like this.

911: Whats your emergency?
    Caller: There is MWAG in my living room.
    911: Sir do you know who it is?
    C: yes it's my contractor
    911: How did he get in the house?
    c: I let him in
    911: Has he threatened you?
    C: no
    911: Has he shot you?
    c: well no he is here to work on my house
    911: Have you asked him why he has a gun?
    C: well no you're the cops that's your job
    911: Have you asked him to leave the premises?
    C: NO! Oh forget it i'll tell him to leave
    :twocents:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

Please explain to us stupid people who are not as bright as others just how carrying a CONCEALED handgun into someone's home will "rub peoples noses in something against their will." I've been a homeowner for several decades and I have must have missed the part where I get magical powers to discern a concealed handgun inside my home and no where else.

Now... I DO understand the part about them spotting the sunglasses and hat... heck, even I can do that by myself. But a concealed handgun? Give details... please.

And just what do you expect the cop to do when he comes out. Shoot the plumber willy nilly? Or perhaps ask, sir, do you have a license to carry?

Hysteria and out-of-control emotional responses should be left to the anti-gunners... they have no place on a pro-firearm board.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I guess that's the kind of response given when you have nothing to back up your argument with.

It's the kind of response that you'd expect from a dedicated Brady bunch adherent. Comparing responsible gun owners with "boys" is a tried and true approach for them.

Pitiful... just pitiful...

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

BTW... as noted in an earlier post I've carried into thousands of homeowners homes over the past years selling everything from ADT to Medicare insurance.

Not a single one of them ever had their noses rubbed in any way possible. Can you please explain my failure in this apparently simple endeavor that you seem to feel happens automatically?

Top Bottom