• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    You know, this thread has kind of opened my eyes. To start, I understand places of business and homes are different, but the contractor is conducting business in your home that you asked for. Why should we expect businesses to let us (strangers) carry in their establishments and we say that "guns should be commonplace" and "no one should think twice about a guy carrying a gun as long as he's not doing anything suspicious" (working doesn't qualify as suspicious in my mind). We also feel that we can carry to our work that is owned by someone. Why should the contractor not feel the same way? Did you hire him on good word? from a reputable company? Then let the man live his life.

Honestly when I first read this thread I kinda thought it was a little disrespectful to carry into someone's home, but then I realized how hypocritical that thought process was. Thanks to the OP and Titanium Frost who brought my hypocrisy to my attention.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have to imagine an ankle holster would show pretty readily as well as the pants ride up from kneeling and rising.

Caveat on both of these....This seems like one of the occasions where Smart Carry/Thunderwear may be a good idea. No one will ever see it, less likely to be uncomfortable than appendix carry (or any other forward position), and readily available from a kneeling position.
    I also think the belt pouch (not off the body toolbag) carry for a small singe stack would be a solid idea.

What I don't think is a good idea IWB/OWB at the 3-9 o'clock positions. I feel like I should respect your right to carry, but deep down I know if I noticed a concealed piece on a contractor who hadn't informed me, I'd feel like a violation of my home had occurred. :twocents:
    I used to carry a lot on my ankle because of work and I was ignorant of the fact that I could OC in Indiana. With a Glock 27 or Ruger SP101 I have literally forgotten about it as I've worked on my knees and off ladders. I just wear boot cut jeans or slacks one leg length longer over 6" high top lace up boots. The gun would never bother me and the pants never ride up. If you wear tennys or low cut shoes or tight pants you might have a problem but my pet peeve is people who want to carry but won't make wardrobe adjustments to accomodate the carry instead of trying to find a method of carry to fit their clothes. You can get a cheap ankle rig if your carry is small enough (a full size 1911, G21, etc won't work very well) and see how you like it. If it works for you get a good ($60) leather Galco Ankle Glove and you're good to go.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I pocket CC all the time , & living in a small town, if I were to tell the customer that I am carring a gun & have an LTCH,it would be all over town in minutes. I don't need that kind of publicity. On the other hand, I could lock it in my vehicle before I go into their house, if I thought about it. Out of sight, out of mind.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You know, this thread has kind of opened my eyes. To start, I understand places of business and homes are different, but the contractor is conducting business in your home that you asked for. Why should we expect businesses to let us (strangers) carry in their establishments and we say that "guns should be commonplace" and "no one should think twice about a guy carrying a gun as long as he's not doing anything suspicious" (working doesn't qualify as suspicious in my mind). We also feel that we can carry to our work that is owned by someone. Why should the contractor not feel the same way? Did you hire him on good word? from a reputable company? Then let the man live his life.

Honestly when I first read this thread I kinda thought it was a little disrespectful to carry into someone's home, but then I realized how hypocritical that thought process was. Thanks to the OP and Titanium Frost who brought my hypocrisy to my attention.

:rockwoot:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    A small Keltec or similar sized gun in a holster in the front pocket of cargo-style pants will never be noticed. I've been on the floor rolling around and wrestling with a half dozen toddlers many times and never had a problem. No one will ever notice it. Just make sure the pants pocket is set deep enough. I've never had to modify one to make it deeper but if would be easy to do if you want to make doubly sure.

And, as a note... I've sold many things in customers homes before... and I've never once felt a need to explain to them that I was carrying. As long as I knew the keltec was not going to jump out of the pocket and shoot them I figured that was all that was needed.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Have you ever said " My house, my rules" ?
    You have the right to keep and bear arms, you don't have any right to disrespect the rights of others. If a client doesn't want a gun in their home leave it in the car or truck outside.
    If they don't know that doesn't make it ok and finding out by accident can ruin a relationship or get you fired from the job.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    You have the right to keep and bear arms, you don't have any right to disrespect the rights of others. If a client doesn't want a gun in their home leave it in the car or truck outside.
    If they don't know that doesn't make it ok and finding out by accident can ruin a relationship or get you fired from the job.

If I don't want something done in my house I make it known upfront. I do not allow alcohol or smoking in my house and anyone coming to my house is told that up front, but most anyone who would be coming already knows that anyway. I don't have anything against alcohol or smoking and I go places that serve alcohol and allows smoking but I don't want it in my home.

In the same respect I would expect any homeowner I go to to let me know upfront if there is something that they do not want in their home and I'll happily oblige. Again their home their rules. If a customer were to tell me no firearms then I would oblige. I may not come back but I would oblige.

People make no qualms about letting someone know upfront that they do not allow smoking in their home so what would be different with letting them know that they don't allow firearms as well? I see no difference. If I'm not told they don't want them I'll be carrying. :twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

If I don't want something done in my house I make it known upfront. I do not allow alcohol or smoking in my house and anyone coming to my house is told that up front, but most anyone who would be coming already knows that anyway. I don't have anything against alcohol or smoking and I go places that serve alcohol and allows smoking but I don't want it in my home.

In the same respect I would expect any homeowner I go to to let me know upfront if there is something that they do not want in their home and I'll happily oblige. Again their home their rules. If a customer were to tell me no firearms then I would oblige. I may not come back but I would oblige.

People make no qualms about letting someone know upfront that they do not allow smoking in their home so what would be different with letting them know that they don't allow firearms as well? I see no difference. If I'm not told they don't want them I'll be carrying. :twocents:

Well said WC Deer hunter!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Is their a sign saying such in front of your home...or is everyone supposed to read your mind?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know it's not against the law or anything, but I'm curious to get some opinions on how I should approach carrying at work. I'm a self employed wood flooring contractor who does mostly remodel work, so I'm working in people's homes every day. I usually CC but the problem is that I'm bent over or on my knees a lot of the time (yeah yeah, get it all out of your systems LOL) and it's almost impossible not to print badly with my shirt tucked in, which doesn't stay tucked in long. And of course if I leave it untucked it just rides up and exposes grip after 1.5 kneeldowns. lol

Should I just not worry about it and if they say something, respectfully not carry in their house from that point on? Ask if they mind on the first day? Just don't carry in their house at all?

Some of my previous customers wouldn't have minded but on the other hand there have been a few that would have minded too. Just looking for different ways of thinking about it, perhaps some angle I hadn't looked at it from.

Well, i would thank you for carrying in my home...extra firepower is always welcome. :)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I pocket CC all the time , & living in a small town, if I were to tell the customer that I am carring a gun & have an LTCH,it would be all over town in minutes. I don't need that kind of publicity. On the other hand, I could lock it in my vehicle before I go into their house, if I thought about it. Out of sight, out of mind.
    I don't consider my vehicle safe enough to lock a firearm in it except in extreme circumstances. I worry more about someone stealing the gun and it getting into the hands of a kid than I do about losing the piece itself.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Years ago when I installed alarms in Indy I always had a 642 in a front pocket holster with DPX.

With that said, I can't imagine the legal horror story of having to use it inside a customers home. It's a legal nightmare anytime, but under those circumstances... I thought about the potential problems many times.

Imagine having to use it if the drunk uncle, crazy ex-husband, daughters methed out boyfriend etc came home demanding to know what was going on while swinging a ball bat at your head, all the while the home owner was getting the mail or couldn't hear because they were in the garage.

On the other hand being beat to death sucks too.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    I carry at most of my customers properties. The only ones I don't are schools and daycares, then it's locked in the truck on the street. Crime doesn't stop at your customers property.

James

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Just because the state issued you a license to carry a gun, does not mean you can carry anywhere you please. That right often must be counter-balanced against other's rights and public safety. It is subject to certain limitations.

Homeowner - You have a right to say who may come into your home. If you invite someone into your house, you can restrict them to your living room. You can prohibit them from consuming alcohol or smoking in your home. You can prevent them from bringing their dog or their gun into your home. You can do this because you have the right to exclude them from your home. Because you can exclude them, you can admit them on conditions. This is your inherent right as the person in control of the property.

Visitor - You don't have the right to disrespect the rights of others. If they don't know, that doesn't make it ok, and finding out by accident can ruin a relationship or get you fired from the job.

The courteous thing to do, the smart thing to do... is to leave the gun in your vehicle. Your rights, whatever they are... end at the property line. There are no exceptions, unless the homeowner allows them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Just because the state issued you a license to carry a gun, does not mean you can carry anywhere you please. That right often must be counter-balanced against other's rights and public safety. It is subject to certain limitations.

Homeowner - You have a right to say who may come into your home. If you invite someone into your house, you can restrict them to your living room. You can prohibit them from consuming alcohol or smoking in your home. You can prevent them from bringing their dog or their gun into your home. You can do this because you have the right to exclude them from your home. Because you can exclude them, you can admit them on conditions. This is your inherent right as the person in control of the property.

Visitor - You don't have the right to disrespect the rights of others. If they don't know, that doesn't make it ok, and finding out by accident can ruin a relationship or get you fired from the job.

The courteous thing to do, the smart thing to do... is to leave the gun in your vehicle. Your rights, whatever they are... end at the property line. There are no exceptions, unless the homeowner allows them.

Don't carry in other peoples houses period is my opinion,I wouldn't want anyone carrying in my house around my family that I did not know.

So I assume you two don't carry into businesses or other public places? I sure would be hard to inform everyone around me I was carrying. Hell even when I OC most people around don't realize it. Should I go up to them and tell them to? I am after all carrying around their families. Do you also leave it in the car when you go to the grocery store? It is after all someone else's private property.

Why are you scared of other people with guns if you expect that people shouldn't be scared of you?

Top Bottom