• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    +1 on the ankle holster. You can carry some serious firepower (G26, 27, SP101) and be comfortable and concealed all day.
    I have to imagine an ankle holster would show pretty readily as well as the pants ride up from kneeling and rising.

I would suggest if you have problems concealing a larger EDC while at work maybe consider a pocket pistol.
    I think a pocket pistol (.380 or single stack 9) would be good for this situation. Either that or a Smart Carry depending on your build. I've never used one, but they seem to have a decent reputation among owners. I would personally go pocket carry though. Even if it "prints," they will just assume it's a tool or phone. Plus it would be very difficult for it to fall out (for Double T's concern). I pocket carry my LC9 a lot and love it.
    Caveat on both of these....This seems like one of the occasions where Smart Carry/Thunderwear may be a good idea. No one will ever see it, less likely to be uncomfortable than appendix carry (or any other forward position), and readily available from a kneeling position.
    I also think the belt pouch (not off the body toolbag) carry for a small singe stack would be a solid idea.

What I don't think is a good idea IWB/OWB at the 3-9 o'clock positions. I feel like I should respect your right to carry, but deep down I know if I noticed a concealed piece on a contractor who hadn't informed me, I'd feel like a violation of my home had occurred. :twocents:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    ...I know if I noticed a concealed piece on a contractor who hadn't informed me, I'd feel like a violation of my home had occurred. :twocents:

Really? Maybe the guys that think this way should signs up to that effect.

"No Firearms Allowed"

Doesn't that make you feel dirty? Why would you deny someone's right to a firearm for self defense while in your own home? You would be next to them in public and may or may not know they are armed. You go into THEIR place of business armed. I really don't see the difference.

***Someone being unsafe with a firearm is ENTIRELY different and I would quickly tell someone to hit the road if they were on my property and being irresponsible but that goes much further than firearms.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I would not recommend letting people see you EDC. Some people won't care. Others will. Their house their rules. I would invest in a tool bag with a hidden holster. You need tools to lay flooring don't you?

This is a good answer. I have been working in places I had wished that I had protection with me because the people are..."off" On the other hand in a person's home it is their castle/their rules. What they don't know....

That being said, when I have hired contractors they usually come out of a pool of people I know and the people I know usually come out of a pool of shooters...

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Really? Maybe the guys that think this way should signs up to that effect.

"No Firearms Allowed"

Doesn't that make you feel dirty? Why would you deny someone's right to a firearm for self defense while in your own home? You would be next to them in public and may or may not know they are armed. You go into THEIR place of business armed. I really don't see the difference.

If its concealed, its concealed. That's what we are discussing here, not denying a right to self defense.

At the absolute best of times I don't enjoy people I don't know being in my home, and anything that exacerbates that discomfort is going to make me more uncomfortable. Its not a paranoia act, its just a common sense of wariness when a stranger is in your castle, and it is not unusual.

I'm saying I'd rather know up front. There's no "or not at all", but if I never know that this discussion is irrelevant, and that is most likely the simpler position for the OP to put himself in. I am not denying someone's right to self defense, but I am admitting that I would be uncomfortable with the surprise viewing of their gun.

How many times have we said, "concealed means concealed". Either OC so we know what field we're playing on, or keep it hidden like you intended to when you put on an IWB holster before work.
    Please don't come to my house knowing you're going to be kneeling and that you're shirt will ride up and expect me not to be a little concerned when I see it. "Oh shoot, I didn't know my gun would show when I did this in Your house" does not cut it when you had ample time to either do me the courtesy of declaring, or prepare yourself with a better way to do what you intended to do: CC.

***Someone being unsafe with a firearm is ENTIRELY different and I would quickly tell someone to hit the road if they were on my property and being irresponsible but that goes much further than firearms.
    Naturally.
    Also please note I didn't say I would make the OP/contractor leave, just that it would pique my (and probably other customers) interest, and there's a real possibility of that not being in a good way.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I work in the same industry. I remodel bathrooms and kitchens.

I always have my p-32 either in my boot or inside my waistband at about 3 o'clock.I've never had any customers detect it.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I am in a somewhat similar situation. I am a new Home/Remodel contractor, so I go into peoples houses on a regular basis for sales calls. I carry every single day, but if I am going into some body's house I don't know, I will simply leave it locked in the truck. I see this as showing respect for that person & their home. A lot of people are anti-gun, so I don't want to lose the sale if they happen to notice. If I'm walking into some body's house in Carmel at 11:00 Am, to look at finishing their basement, the statistical probability of danger is EXTREMELY low.

On the other hand, I also do a fair amount of rehab work on abandoned or empty houses in the inner city. When I go out to measure one of those to draw the blueprints, you can be dang sure that I'll be carrying.

But, as others have said, being self employed it's up to you. If you feel you need/want to carry & are willing to make the explanation or risk losing that job because of it, that's your choice & right.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If I were you, I would not carry my weapon into a customers home. I am a general contractor. I am not telling you what to do, but me myself, I am trying to feed my family, and that being said, carrying my gun into a home of a customer, could 1.) possibly make me lose the job. 2.) Make my customer and his family feel very uncomfortable. 3.) I have been in construction all of my life, and have never wanted to carry my gun while I was working, would be uncomfortable and get in the way, oh and could get it really dirty. For one, if someone was to try and attack me while I was at work, usually have a nail gun and a framing hammer handy. I did like the tool bag idea with a concealed pouch idea though. Bottom line is this, it is up to you what you do outside of a customers home. It is up to the customer what you do in their homes, And it is up to your bank account if you want to lose a sell. I would choose the latter!!!:twocents:

Wow, my brother from another mother? I was thinking the same thing!
    I'm also a remodeling contractor, and thought the same about hammers and nail guns!
    Depending on the area, and the people, I will sometimes carry, but more often leave it in the van. Sometimes leave the primary in the van, and carry the pf9 small of back, hardly ever gets noticed.

I've also bartered my labor for a few nice handguns! Usually by the customers request.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I recommend complete CC. You can get a CC holster shirt here:

Holster Shirt V-Neck | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical

or here:

Cabela's: 5.11 Tactical Short-Sleeve Holster Shirt

or here:

Undertech Undercover Ultimate Compression Tank Top Concealment Holster Shirts FREE S&H T0800BK-3X, T0800WH-S, T0800WH-M, T0800WH-L, T0800WH-XL, T0800WH-2X, T0800WH-3X, T0800BK-S, T0800BK-M, T0800BK-L,

I know these will be hot and uncomfortable if you are laying floor in July in Evansville, but it is a viable option, and these shirts are supposed to be designed to facilitate rapid evaporation to enhance cooling.

Beyond that, a mouse gun (LCP, TCP, etc.) with a good holster in a dominant-hand cargo pocket is very well concealed.

If a contractor working in my home did not advise me in advance and I noticed a concealed weapon, I would be very concerned. My next action would vary, depending on the person. Options include: 1. Get out now. 2. Put it in the vehicle and do not bring it in again. 3. Ask, "What are carrying?" If I am the least bit uncomfortable with the guy, it is #1. If I am comfortable, but do not know the guy well, it is #2. If it is a friend or a contractor who advised me in advance, it would be #3.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If its concealed, its concealed. That's what we are discussing here, not denying a right to self defense.

At the absolute best of times I don't enjoy people I don't know being in my home, and anything that exacerbates that discomfort is going to make me more uncomfortable. Its not a paranoia act, its just a common sense of wariness when a stranger is in your castle, and it is not unusual.

I'm saying I'd rather know up front. There's no "or not at all", but if I never know that this discussion is irrelevant, and that is most likely the simpler position for the OP to put himself in. I am not denying someone's right to self defense, but I am admitting that I would be uncomfortable with the surprise viewing of their gun.

How many times have we said, "concealed means concealed". Either OC so we know what field we're playing on, or keep it hidden like you intended to when you put on an IWB holster before work.
    Please don't come to my house knowing you're going to be kneeling and that you're shirt will ride up and expect me not to be a little concerned when I see it. "Oh shoot, I didn't know my gun would show when I did this in Your house" does not cut it when you had ample time to either do me the courtesy of declaring, or prepare yourself with a better way to do what you intended to do: CC.

Naturally.
    Also please note I didn't say I would make the OP/contractor leave, just that it would pique my (and probably other customers) interest, and there's a real possibility of that not being in a good way.

My stance is that I don't really get the mindset that no one can know you have a gun. My goal is a normalization of firearms in everyday life and that is how I live. Monday through Friday I CC because of my job but I am allowed to carry. Everyone that works with me knows I have a gun and I go shooting and compete frequently. So I really don't understand it when there are guys that seem affraid that anyone around them might know they are carrying.

Likewise I don't really discern the distinction between OC and CC. Indiana does not so why should I? They are both perfectly legal and I've only heard of criminals CCing, not OCing. Therefore OC or CC I don't care how another guy carries. If I trust a person well enough to let him in my home I really don't care if he has a gun. Hell I would RATHER him have his own! I have talked guns wih a lot of my customers and I have always been surprised at how many are gun owners themselves or even carry on a daily basis.

I am certainly not telling anyone how to behave in their own home but just think about it.

Here is another take on it: I do not take my gun to places. I carry a gun and I go places. My gun is an extension of me, it does not change anything about me and does not change those around me.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I'm a semi rretired claims adjuster and like the OP I'm in peoples homes and places of business on a very regular basis.
    I feel that you will cause yourself and everyone else less stress and potenial problems by being open and honest with your customers. I tell folks when I come to their door who I am what I am there for and that I carry a gun. On the rare occasion that the gun presents a problem for them I volunteer to lock it in my truck. After all it is their home and I wouldn't want anyone carrying something I object to into my home.
    I've found that in more cases than you would think I get a positive reponse "If I were doing your job I'd carry too" or "Oh we have guns in the house too"
    Sometimes it leads to a good chance to educate or just to converse and develop a report with the people I am serving.

I know this is not the common wisdom amount our members but it serves me well and has never caused me a problem.

I feel it is much better to tell them up front that to have them calling the police from the bed room saying there,s a man in our house with a gun.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I think most people would be very surprised to know how many people are gun owners. A lot of them that none of us would ever suspect. It seems a lot of people are not nearly as open or want others to know, unlike many here who hope to educate and persuade other to take advantage of their rights to do so. :twocents:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    To the OP, I agree with the others with the small pocket gun idea. Light weight .38 or .32 Magnum would work great in a pocket.

As far as someone coming into my house with a gun, I could care less as long as you don't have it stuffed down the front of your pants or acting like an idiot with it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm a semi rretired claims adjuster and like the OP I'm in peoples homes and places of business on a very regular basis.
    I feel that you will cause yourself and everyone else less stress and potenial problems by being open and honest with your customers. I tell folks when I come to their door who I am what I am there for and that I carry a gun. On the rare occasion that the gun presents a problem for them I volunteer to lock it in my truck. After all it is their home and I wouldn't want anyone carrying something I object to into my home.
    I've found that in more cases than you would think I get a positive reponse "If I were doing your job I'd carry too" or "Oh we have guns in the house too"
    Sometimes it leads to a good chance to educate or just to converse and develop a report with the people I am serving.

I know this is not the common wisdom amount our members but it serves me well and has never caused me a problem.

I feel it is much better to tell them up front that to have them calling the police from the bed room saying there,s a man in our house with a gun.

I have always thought about telling people that I was wearing socks on that particular day but then I realized I always wore socks, they didn't care and it had no effect on my presence there. :laugh:

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    The courteous thing to do would be:

"Sir/Ma'am, I have a license to carry a firearm, do you have any objection to me carrying a gun in your home?"

So simple, a caveman could do it.

Top Bottom