• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Not exactly the truth. We drive our prisoners into a "sally port" and a gate closes. No one in or out. We then check our weapons into a lock box prior to going into the jail for booking. Another door opens and we go inside.

WOW exact same way we do as well !! But the ones who ignore the rule will not want to disarm in front of you like they are as post to, because they do not want to be caught carrying. Thus they may then enter the booking room in major violation. Just a possible thing to think about if your going to ignore the rule :dunno:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    WOW exact same way we do as well !! But the ones who ignore the rule will not want to disarm in front of you like they are as post to, because they do not want to be caught carrying. Thus they may then enter the booking room in major violation. Just a possible thing to think about if your going to ignore the rule :dunno:

If they go into the back of my car it is because they are going to jail. They won't have anything on them. I think that we all have to remember that handcuffs are temporary restraining devices and can be defeated. We handcuffed a girl last night (not small at all, rather large). She was handcuffed from behind and in one swift move, she moved her arms over her head and her cuffs were in front of her. I was speachless. We then handcuffed her through her belt and called for a cage car.

We have to pretty well respect the rule of the jail and their administration. It only takes a call from them to my boss and then a couple of days off without pay.

If all goes well the prisones is searched at the scene. Behind the car seat is searched in case the prisoner decides to try to ditch something he had or was misses. After the trip to jail he is searched aging by the officers for inventory and then by the jail staff prior to acceptance.

Sometimes you have to put a rubber glove on and get yourself a handful just to make sure.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If they go into the back of my car it is because they are going to jail. They won't have anything on them. I think that we all have to remember that handcuffs are temporary restraining devices and can be defeated. We handcuffed a girl last night (not small at all, rather large). She was handcuffed from behind and in one swift move, she moved her arms over her head and her cuffs were in front of her. I was speachless. We then handcuffed her through her belt and called for a cage car.

We have to pretty well respect the rule of the jail and their administration. It only takes a call from them to my boss and then a couple of days off without pay.

If all goes well the prisones is searched at the scene. Behind the car seat is searched in case the prisoner decides to try to ditch something he had or was misses. After the trip to jail he is searched aging by the officers for inventory and then by the jail staff prior to acceptance.

Sometimes you have to put a rubber glove on and get yourself a handful just to make sure.
    I'll bet the ride-alongs don't get to do that either! This is getting sooooo disappointing!:(

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    We? Whenever I've gone out on patrol, even if the officers I'm with are getting free drinks/food, I am always sure to pay.

I had my money out, I was told by the guys it was no good.

I wasn't going to argue with two armed men in uniform :D

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011

Yes sometimes duty calls !! haha
    But i dont think were on the same page. OK scenario. A fella is going on a ride along and decides to wear his coat to cover up his bulge on the right hip. He has read on INGO that it is frowned upon and against department policies, but decides not to ask rather to ignore. Before you know it he is riding shotgun in a purdy patrol car. The officer then gets a fresh warrant and knows where the perp is known to hang. They get a visual on him and slap those temporary restraining devices on after a quick frisk !! As the roll up door closes behind them at the jail the rider is then faced with a decision while the officer is securing his gun. "Do i secure my gun in the trunk with him and blow my cover possibly being all over or do i just go through that door and make sure i keep it covered." No big deal right? YES big deal!!
    Ok thats all i got.. haha
    That is the big problem i see with ignoring the rule, INLESS the department dont allow you in the booking room then you never haft to worry about it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yes sometimes duty calls !! haha
    But i dont think were on the same page. OK scenario. A fella is going on a ride along and decides to wear his coat to cover up his bulge on the right hip. He has read on INGO that it is frowned upon and against department policies, but decides not to ask rather to ignore. Before you know it he is riding shotgun in a purdy patrol car. The officer then gets a fresh warrant and knows where the perp is known to hang. They get a visual on him and slap those temporary restraining devices on after a quick frisk !! As the roll up door closes behind them at the jail the rider is then faced with a decision while the officer is securing his gun. "Do i secure my gun in the trunk with him and blow my cover possibly being all over or do i just go through that door and make sure i keep it covered." No big deal right? YES big deal!!
    Ok thats all i got.. haha
    That is the big problem i see with ignoring the rule, INLESS the department dont allow you in the booking room then you never haft to worry about it.

As our friend Guy has posted, this is yet a larger concern than the breaking of a mere jailhouse rule: If the ridealong enters the jail facility armed, has he not committed "trafficking with an inmate"?

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    For all those worried about a boring time, I did a ride a long for the hell of it last year with the IMPD. The officer was super courteous, friendly, and informative. I sat through their rollcall, he gave me a safety brief, told me to feel free to ask any questions and get out on any runs unless he told me not to, and not to speak to anyone unless he engaged me first. He also showed me how to operate the release mechanism for the shotgun for, as he worded it, "The slim chance that I'm going to be getting shot or the $%&@ kicked out of me and you want to maybe bail me out."

Literally 15 minutes into the shift, we had a full lights and siren call at a residence where there was multiple reports of shots fired. We arrived, he said "stay in the car for this one, and lean as far forward as you can and keep your head down until I exit the car" as we pulled up to a group of 3 men standing in the street with one lying bleeding in the street. One dude was brandishing a gun. The officer I was riding with flew up, released his shotty, racked a round into the chamber, and exited the vehicle barking lawful orders, which the gentlemen in the street wisely obeyed. A second car flew up a few seconds later, and I found myself instantly in a crime scene.

A few more cars arrived, and quickly taped off the surrounding houses, and formed a permiter, and entered the house and secured the premise. This was all around 5:30am, btw. After everything had calmed down, the officer retrieved me from the car, showed me around the scene, showing me where a few bullets had struck during the confrontation. The shooter ended up staying for 30 or so minutes in the back of our car, which was interesting. The the paddy wagon hauled him off. As the first officer on the scene, he wrote up the report, which we did in the parking lot of a burger king, then got some breakfast.

The rest of the day wasn't too exciting, he did show me how to operate a Lidar gun, and we pulled over several people, answered a domestic violence complaint, found an abandoned child in a vehicle (the mom thought it was cool to leave him there while she shopped at a Kohl's for at least the 30 minutes we were there, did I mention it was February?) and we responded what turned out to be a bogus armed robbery alarm.

We had kind of hit it off, and at the end of his shift he wanted to know if I wanted to see the 911 dispatch, which I did. And he gave me a tour of the IMPD's "tactical" tour bus that they use to coordinate various high profile / remote investigations.

All in all a great day, and I was really impressed with the professionalism and almost casual courage the rank and file officers demonstrated at various points throughout the day. I still dislike "police" in general, and especially how paramilitary they've gotten with the war on drugs and the attitudes they can cop dealing with civilians, but I have to say I understand them and respect them more, especially inner city cops who deal with heavy stuff day in and day out. Not everyone is going to have the day I had, but I guess in the IMPD, they usually only assign ride alongs to the officers who like having the company, so they're friendly and ready to educate. Was worth getting up ridiculously early and freezing my @$% off on a Saturday morning.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Man, I don't even remember the manufacturer. He told me he checked it out before our ride, because they aren't standard issue. Something else he told me that kind of amazed me and I still don't quite believe is that most IMPD cars aren't equipped with radar, that most officers that have them pay for them with their own pocket because they can make more money.

It came in a zip up bag, was boxy, about the size of a megaphone, and when you looked down the sites and squeezed the trigger half on, a red light illuminated the car where you were pointing, and a full squeeze locked in the speed.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Man, I don't even remember the manufacturer. He told me he checked it out before our ride, because they aren't standard issue. Something else he told me that kind of amazed me and I still don't quite believe is that most IMPD cars aren't equipped with radar, that most officers that have them pay for them with their own pocket because they can make more money.

It came in a zip up bag, was boxy, about the size of a megaphone, and when you looked down the sites and squeezed the trigger half on, a red light illuminated the car where you were pointing, and a full squeeze locked in the speed.
    There are several manufacturers and types. Not a complete list, but close: Laser Guns - Guys of LIDAR

As for the radar in the car, so you are saying they aren't using speed measurement equipment for safety but for revenue?! And does this money go to the officer or to the city? Sounds pretty fishy to me either way you try to slice it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    There are several manufacturers and types. Not a complete list, but close: Laser Guns - Guys of LIDAR

As for the radar in the car, so you are saying they aren't using speed measurement equipment for safety but for revenue?! And does this money go to the officer or to the city? Sounds pretty fishy to me either way you try to slice it.

We don't go that far. If we write a ticket, our department gets a couple of dollars that goes to our training fund.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You have to admit, it wasn't clearly written, hence why I had to ask. ;)

Hey no problem. I get upset when you start looking at where all of the fees go to. Most of the "court costs" goes to the retirement funds of the judges. In our county, if you arrest a person on a warrant the Sheriff gets a little bit. I could go on but I will just give myself a headache.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    It's been a few years, but I know Champaign, IL does ridealongs. Requirements:

Clean record.
    Major medical insurance.
    Waiver.
    No weapons.

TMU317

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Indy

Both, potentially. If the officer is required to attend traffic court, he is paid for his time spent in court. If an individual is cited for speeding, they pay a fine. Either way you try to slice it, there is nothing fishy about it. All of this can easily be avoided, however, if one simply follows the posted speed limit.

Top Bottom