• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill, I can see the law overriding all local ordinances for carrying in public places (with exceptions) but don't see how SB292 applies to a police department carrying out their official duties. Riding in a police vehicle with an officer on duty would seem to be something completely outside the scope of 292.

As a police officer, he's a representative of his employer, a local government. The LG is allowed to make rules as to what the officers carry on duty. They are not allowed to have a rule, policy, ordinance, etc. controlling a citizen's ownership, possession, or carry of a firearm more strict than state law.

There is no state law that says a citizen cannot carry a firearm in a police vehicle.

As I said, I'm no lawyer, but I think I'm reading this correctly. Nonetheless, I'm certainly willing to admit error if I'm mistaken.

ETA: Of course, this would not protect the citizen from the "trafficking with an inmate" charge should the officer take him/her into a place where prisoners are incarcerated, though I could see a good attorney finding a way around that as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Officers here are not any better than anyone here. There, I said it. the main point is that they practiced elements that keep them safer. Military people here would recognize a 3, 4, 5 person diamond search structure. They would react better on a person with a gun because they have done it many times before.They know when to lay hands on a person and not get sued.

The officers here are really pretty decent people. Family people like you and me. Like me they probably put in an extra 20 - 30 hours per week shift just to help the family at an off duty job. They get to work and they had better have their job in mind. Not thinking about work at home or the neighbors party next week.

Better than you, me..never. The only thing I've done that some of you haven'y is point my weapon at a living target.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What are the requirements besides having to go through a criminal backround check?
    Im guessing there is also an age limit, maybe 18 or 21.
    Do you need to be a US citizen to do that?
    Not that I can see why it would matter, im not one so it's why im wondering.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    What are the requirements besides having to go through a criminal backround check?
    Im guessing there is also an age limit, maybe 18 or 21.
    Do you need to be a US citizen to do that?
    Not that I can see why it would matter, im not one so it's why im wondering.

Some places vary. We have a requirement of 18 years old and a background check.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Additionally how does one go about setting up a ride along?
    You can just ask! I had a ride along offered to me once when I used to repair the copier at the Metro Drug Task Force. I over heard them talking about going out on a possible buy and bust. I got curious and asked a few non invasive questions about how they were setting things up and the source of the money they were using, which was interesting, and the said why don't you come along? I regret not taking advantage of it. Great bunch of guys with a particular dark sense of humor! Probably comes with the territory!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You can just ask! I had a ride along offered to me once when I used to repair the copier at the Metro Drug Task Force. I over heard them talking about going out on a possible buy and bust. I got curious and asked a few non invasive questions about how they were setting things up and the source of the money they were using, which was interesting, and the said why don't you come along? I regret not taking advantage of it. Great bunch of guys with a particular dark sense of humor! Probably comes with the territory!

Should have done it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I went on a Ride along with lrahm and I had a GREAT time! It was a very eye opening experience and one I would absolutely recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about so many aspects of police work in your community.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I can understand the carry thing both ways: 1) I don't want to be in a situation where the officer gets shot and I'm sitting there with my tongue hanging out. When I was in business we'd have false alarms at night in our pipe fab shop and I'd get a call from ADT at 3:00AM notifying me and saying the police were on the way. I got there one morning and knew the PO and told him I was carrying. He said, "I would too if I were you." I said in case he got blasted I wanted a chance to live. I stayed plenty far back while he checked the doors. 2) A citizen is not required to try to apprehend someone that is threatening him. I can put distance between the threat and myself and only use force if I feel that I cannot end the situation peacefully. LEOs have to approach and secure someone in that situation. What a PO can do with escalating levels (warning, spray, taze, then shoot) I can't. It's either "on" or "off."
    Damn. Do I really want to do a ride unless it's a Sunday afternoon at the museum or the zoo? (Well, forget the zoo. You never know what could go down there :D )

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Its really not a big deal with an experienced cop who has been around the block a few times. You meet and the first thing we went over was safety and self defense. Constant communication during stops and calls were just part of the gig and cops are used to it. Lonnie can literally have three conversations at once- Radio, Suspect, bystander. We were eating and a call came in that I didn't even hear and he was the one talking.

You can really peg out your situational awareness when its just you, a cop and some guy you don't know who is making violent threats. Backup was 5-10 minutes out and it really seems like an eternity.

Man, I should really finish that thread I started in the breakroom.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Its really not a big deal with an experienced cop who has been around the block a few times. You meet and the first thing we went over was safety and self defense. Constant communication during stops and calls were just part of the gig and cops are used to it. Lonnie can literally have three conversations at once- Radio, Suspect, bystander. We were eating and a call came in that I didn't even hear and he was the one talking.

You can really peg out your situational awareness when its just you, a cop and some guy you don't know who is making violent threats. Backup was 5-10 minutes out and it really seems like an eternity.

Man, I should really finish that thread I started in the breakroom.
    Which thread?

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Generally, it's not allowed unless you are an LEO, also. Imagine the officer you're riding with gets a call @ a local school & you're carrying. Shouldn't be an issue, but it is since it's a felony to have a gun on school grounds. Just sayin'
    That isn't illegal as long as you don't exit the vehicle, or are you limited to only picking up your children from school?

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I had a ride along with SPD. (Schererville).

The rules were:
    No "code" calls (no lights and sirens).
    Stay in the police car at all times unless the officer says its ok.

That was really it.

I'm not a USC but I did do the citizen's police academy class at the PD for 10 weeks and the 'reward' for sticking with it was a ride along.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a ride along with SPD. (Schererville).

The rules were:
    No "code" calls (no lights and sirens).
    Stay in the police car at all times unless the officer says its ok.

That was really it.

I'm not a USC but I did do the citizen's police academy class at the PD for 10 weeks and the 'reward' for sticking with it was a ride along.
    This is getting irksome! No firearm carry, no spraying, no clubbing and now, no lights and sirens. What the hell is left? No donut eating!?! Sheesh:xmad:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    This is getting irksome! No firearm carry, no spraying, no clubbing and now, no lights and sirens. What the hell is left? No donut eating!?! Sheesh:xmad:
    Not in uniform. Or at least, some cops have that as their personal rule.

Rules vary widely between departments. Some limit the number of ride-alongs per year. Some limit the number of ride-alongs you can have with a given officer. Types of runs the officer can (or will) take differ. Requirements for clothing, facial hair, etc can be across the spectrum as well. Beyond what is policy, different officers might be "letter of the law" on some department policies and "spirit of the law" on others.

I have greatly enjoyed the ride-alongs I've been on. Definitely recommend it.

tyler_durden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Westfield
    Very interesting topic as I did a ride along with a good friend of mine last fall. I won't name the city for his job security in case they have a department policy. After signing the form I went back to get my water bottle from my truck and half kidding asked if I should bring my glock. He said absolutely but didn't want to get him in any trouble do he said just leave it in the glove box and if anything crazy happens you'll have it. He also basically said no one else will know you have it. Had we not been such good friends and hadn't shot so much together I probably wouldn't have thought about taking it and he probably
    wouldn't have agreed to it.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

We DID get free coffee at a coffee shop though :D :D :D

Perks of the job?

I should say not all cops accept free coffee, my brother in law won't accept any gifts in case there's claims of favouritism. Personally if I were a business owner I would be very accommodating to the local constabulary officers ;)

Never hurts to have the fuzz on your side. Sorry for the threadjack.

Last edited:

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    We DID get free coffee at a coffee shop though :D :D :D

Perks of the job?

I should say not all cops accept free coffee, my brother in law won't accept any gifts in case there's claims of favouritism. Personally if I were a business owner I would be very accommodating to the local constabulary officers ;)

Never hurts to have the fuzz on your side. Sorry for the threadjack.
    We? Whenever I've gone out on patrol, even if the officers I'm with are getting free drinks/food, I am always sure to pay.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Okay. I've got one last hope. Y'all have shattered my idea of a fun ride so far. Please don't tell me I can't use the PA system to yell at a scum bag. "Hey, MF, pick up that gum rapper that you just dropped."

Top Bottom