• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Both, potentially. If the officer is required to attend traffic court, he is paid for his time spent in court. If an individual is cited for speeding, they pay a fine. Either way you try to slice it, there is nothing fishy about it. All of this can easily be avoided, however, if one simply follows the posted speed limit.

We get compensated for going to court but it also usually hits in the middle of the day. So much for a day or morning off. Some of our more serious (felony) cases require us to go to pre-trial conferences, hearings, delays...sucks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Being in LE I think its against most departments policies to have a firearm when you are doing a ride along. As said previously I also think its common practices that you have to sign some type of waiver. My department will allow you to carry as along as you are an LEO of some sort. When I do have a ride along its usually someone I trust and they know how to get to my other weapons if SHTF.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Both, potentially. If the officer is required to attend traffic court, he is paid for his time spent in court. If an individual is cited for speeding, they pay a fine. Either way you try to slice it, there is nothing fishy about it. All of this can easily be avoided, however, if one simply follows the posted speed limit.

This. Traffic tickets = court appearances = overtime pay. That said, his personal rule was up to 15 over is fine, and even then, had no time pulling people over basically at will. It was an eye opener to me to see how many people speed, and not just casual speeding, but in my mind reckless speeding, and how often.

Anyway, I'm not sure how other departments do it, but traffic enforcement is potentially lucrative enough for an officer to spend $3k of his own money on a nice system. We talked about it, and I thought it was pretty sketchy, but after spending a full day with him and knowing his likely salary, I can't hardly blame him for trying to get a little extra, while also slowing people blowing 55 in a 30mph residential zone, in between the times he's exposing his body to bullets or looking after abandoned kids in parking lots.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    This. Traffic tickets = court appearances = overtime pay. That said, his personal rule was up to 15 over is fine, and even then, had no time pulling people over basically at will. It was an eye opener to me to see how many people speed, and not just casual speeding, but in my mind reckless speeding, and how often.

Anyway, I'm not sure how other departments do it, but traffic enforcement is potentially lucrative enough for an officer to spend $3k of his own money on a nice system. We talked about it, and I thought it was pretty sketchy, but after spending a full day with him and knowing his likely salary, I can't hardly blame him for trying to get a little extra, while also slowing people blowing 55 in a 30mph residential zone, in between the times he's exposing his body to bullets or looking after abandoned kids in parking lots.

I am a bit confused. Not placing doubt on your source and observations. I have found that there is a smaller chance of having to be summoned to court when radar or other systems are used. Therefore no court time. Example, an officer writes a ticket and can show that he tagged a certain car at a certain spot going 55 mph in a 30 zone. He then writes that the unit was calibrated prior to and after the ticket was issued. What is there to argue in court?

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I am a bit confused. Not placing doubt on your source and observations. I have found that there is a smaller chance of having to be summoned to court when radar or other systems are used. Therefore no court time. Example, an officer writes a ticket and can show that he tagged a certain car at a certain spot going 55 mph in a 30 zone. He then writes that the unit was calibrated prior to and after the ticket was issued. What is there to argue in court?

Maybe people go to court just because of the "if the cop doesn't show up, the judge will throw it out" thing that always gets thrown around on forums. :dunno:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Maybe people go to court just because of the "if the cop doesn't show up, the judge will throw it out" thing that always gets thrown around on forums. :dunno:

Several options to look at also. Usually it goes to court because it's the only way the guy can get off the hook because he has so many tickets it's his only chance. Besides if the officer fails to show up, he is violation of departmental policy. Judges also don't like it when you don't show up for their subpeonas.

Yes, some officers make money for going to court. I sure wouldn't get rich on it. When you look at having to take the time to get ready, any prep time, travel, waiting to be heard...is it really worth it. If you are off work that day, I can think of some more constructive things to do.

aronhubbard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Greenfield, IN
    Several options to look at also. Usually it goes to court because it's the only way the guy can get off the hook because he has so many tickets it's his only chance. Besides if the officer fails to show up, he is violation of departmental policy. Judges also don't like it when you don't show up for their subpeonas.

Yes, some officers make money for going to court. I sure wouldn't get rich on it. When you look at having to take the time to get ready, any prep time, travel, waiting to be heard...is it really worth it. If you are off work that day, I can think of some more constructive things to do.

Yeah, like I said, it sounded sketchy to me, but I took him at his word. I would think that the IMPD gets a lot more people showing up to court than average, probably. Yeah, he wasn't getting rich off it, but apparently made enough that he paid for a system out of his own pocket. And of course once it paid off, each year after that is a money maker. :dunno:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've done many ride-a-longs and almost always carry and have never signed a waiver. However, I do have an unfair advantage with two son-in-laws that are LEO. It also doesn't hurt that I am former military law enforcement.

Oh yea, I do place my firearm in the lock box in the sally port before entering the booking area.

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Everytime...

I've been on multiple ride along's in N.E. IN and carry every time. The LEO asks if I'm carrying and but has always allowed it. I'm shown how to remove the shot gun if necessary and away we go.

Top Bottom