• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Good call. Contrary to what historians say, the Tet Offensive did not destroy the VC. The person riding along could be an infiltrator.

To answer the OP, most departments have a policy against it. If you know the officer, he might not enforce the rule. Either way, I would be honest with him.
    I wouldn't do anything to get a buddy cop or one I don't know personally in trouble. I obey the rules. If there is a shot gun or AR somewhere in the vehicle I assume I'll pretty quickly be able to get to it if the LEO is shot or my life is truly in danger.

I wonder if my LEO would respond to a call like we had in Evansville a couple months ago where the PO was dispatched to a house where a dude was holding hostages and basically ambushed the cop getting out of his car. Would I not be put into that kind of situation or would my driver call off or drop me off on the street.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's against policy, but I don't ask. However, I'll tell them where my in car back up is just in case.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I wouldn't do anything to get a buddy cop or one I don't know personally in trouble. I obey the rules. If there is a shot gun or AR somewhere in the vehicle I assume I'll pretty quickly be able to get to it if the LEO is shot or my life is truly in danger.

I wonder if my LEO would respond to a call like we had in Evansville a couple months ago where the PO was dispatched to a house where a dude was holding hostages and basically ambushed the cop getting out of his car. Would I not be put into that kind of situation or would my driver call off or drop me off on the street.

There was no place to hide in that car.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I went on a ride along and I was not even permitted to carry my pocket knife. The officer knew me personally and we had shot together at club level action pistol events. I usually outscored him too. My skill didn't matter, legal proceedures did.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    What is the procedure if there had of been a ride along? Would the PO have dumped him off a block shy or informed dispatch that he had a ride along?

I know our dispatch in Cass County knows when someone is in the car with any LEO's. Most likely they will know.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Me.

Seriously, though, my department doesn't even do ride alongs.

Mine doesn't either. I believe too many people died of boredom and they had to scrap it. At least with ride-alongs the person is in the passenger seat, unlike trainees who are in the driver seat with me in the passenger seat closing my eyes and trying to go to my happy place.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm still waiting for an answer on the "spraying and clubbing" question. I already have a list of names and address of "candidates." Did I tell you I had my lunch money taken a lot in school?:bat:

lol. I've only been on two ride alongs here in Evansville in about 14 years and never carried on either. Good group of guys & gals that were working both times.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    What is the procedure if there had of been a ride along? Would the PO have dumped him off a block shy or informed dispatch that he had a ride along?

I don't think that anything can be anticipated like what happened in December. Remember we only had word of a possible homicide reported by two children. The officer parked several houses away. No one could have guessed that he was going to be greeted by an assault rifle.

By the way, dispatch is advised when the ride a long is picked up and a description is given.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Riding along or being the one with the ride along :D

Both. The most normal person you usually see is in a car stop or taking a report from someone. For the most part, most of the people you see are in the system already. The same people pop up again and again. I get tired of see domestic violence, taking kids from unfit parents, going into meth labs. It makes you very happy for what you have.

It's nice to get home and see a friendly face. For the ride a long, it usually is an eye opener.

Makes you happy your grandson is not wearing a dog collar

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    The main problem with ignoring the rule is going to jail... When you take people that is...all officers are required to disarm them selves when booking someone into jail...that means when you go with him in there you are breaking a MAJOR rule !!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't think that anything can be anticipated like what happened in December. Remember we only had word of a possible homicide reported by two children. The officer parked several houses away. No one could have guessed that he was going to be greeted by an assault rifle.

By the way, dispatch is advised when the ride a long is picked up and a description is given.
    Thanks, Lonnie. That was one of my main questions.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The main problem with ignoring the rule is going to jail... When you take people that is...all officers are required to disarm them selves when booking someone into jail...that means when you go with him in there you are breaking a MAJOR rule !!

Not exactly the truth. We drive our prisoners into a "sally port" and a gate closes. No one in or out. We then check our weapons into a lock box prior to going into the jail for booking. Another door opens and we go inside.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Interesting.

See, last year, SEA 292 passed the legislature and the governor and is now law. A LEA (other than ISP) in Indiana refusing ride-alongs the right to carry if they may otherwise do so legally is exposing itself to legal risk.

IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    Now sure, you can refuse to take the person on the ride-along, but if you take them, you can't legally prevent them from carrying a handgun. A knife, yes, a gun, no. At least that's how I read it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I'd be very interested in seeing one weigh in on this point.

Blessings,
    Bill

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Interesting.

See, last year, SEA 292 passed the legislature and the governor and is now law. A LEA (other than ISP) in Indiana refusing ride-alongs the right to carry if they may otherwise do so legally is exposing itself to legal risk.

Now sure, you can refuse to take the person on the ride-along, but if you take them, you can't legally prevent them from carrying a handgun. A knife, yes, a gun, no. At least that's how I read it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I'd be very interested in seeing one weigh in on this point.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Bill, I can see the law overriding all local ordinances for carrying in public places (with exceptions) but don't see how SB292 applies to a police department carrying out their official duties. Riding in a police vehicle with an officer on duty would seem to be something completely outside the scope of 292.

Top Bottom