• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I personally do not like the .40 cal cartridge.

I like 9mm and I like .45's both better.

For me the .40 cal is "snappy"

With the hollow point +P home defense ammo available today

I feel fine carrying a 9mm.

If you don't then get .40.

But which caliber to carry is way down on the list of things I want in a carry gun.

:cool:

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Thanks for all the helpful replies and links. After viewing all of the links posted what is apparent to me is that there is always something of a compromise. Large caliber in a CC pistol means low mag capacity. Small caliber means limited penetration. etc etc

It seems to me that the best compromise is to go 9mm. JHP Gold Dot or similar. That way I can get at least a 13+1 round count in a Sig 229 worn in a crossbreed IWB holster.

So what I have done is gone for a less than compact pistol so that I can get a higher mag capacity using a more expensive round that will penetrate better.

With all that said I have taken into consideration that my other two pistols; P226 and Ruger LC9 are both 9mm also.

So now all I need to do is figure out which ammo will be best suited for all three pistols.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It seems to me that the best compromise is to go 9mm. JHP Gold Dot or similar. That way I can get at least a 13+1 round count in a Sig 229 worn in a crossbreed IWB holster.

With all that said I have taken into consideration that my other two pistols; P226 and Ruger LC9 are both 9mm also.

So now all I need to do is figure out which ammo will be best suited for all three pistols.

If you are already setup with 9mm and the Sig platform then the 229 is a great choice.

As far as cartridges look for a premium 124gr +P.

Top Bottom